Psychedelic Music Thread

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Re: Psychedelic Music Thread

Post by moom »

Every time I hear Ian Brown sing "these boots were made for walking", in Fool'sGold, I think of this song.

LyricsFreak offers these blokes as songwriters: Parker, Devin Lee / Brown, Charlie / Rodrigues, Wayne Steven Jr
rememberaday
Judge!
Judge!

Post by rememberaday »

Massed Gadgets wrote: Lately I've been delving deeper into the San Francisco sound of the late 60's, beyond artists like The Jefferson Airplane and Steve Miller Band. Been listening to Moby Grape, Sons of Champlin, Tripsichord Music Box, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Big Brother and the Holding Company, Mojo Men, The Ace of Cups, Country Joe and the Fish and other such bands. The only one of those I'd listened to much before this was Quicksilver Messenger Service, so it's been a bit of a voyage of discovery.
Wow...SF psychedelia. It's been a long time since I last visited it. Mainly because I didn't really like that heavy guitar, hippie theme combination. Of all those bands, I probably like Moby Grape most. They are song oriented but brilliant. Their first two albums are gems. QMS are great as well, John Cippolina's guitar interplay with Gary Duncan is interesting as well. JA is great, but I find them a bit too poppy (Surrealistic Pillow) or cheesy (parts of Baxter's, which I used to love) these days. You may be aware of my feelings towards the Dead.

Of the lesser known bands, I liked Frumious Bandersnatch. I've got a couple of their songs, and they have that typical SF sound. Much more enjoyable than the Dead for me, for sure. Mad River is another great band, actually they sound less like a psych band out of 60's San Franciso; it's somewhat hard to describe. Their music is much darker, I mean. Their first is great. Elsewhere, you may want to look for Sopwith Camel. Not particularly brilliant, but enjoyable they are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11bLTZPaS2U

Actually, a good place to start would be The Berkely EPs which is somewhat like a Nugget's compilation of SF bands of that period. It's criminally hard to buy (at least over here), and I got parts of it from the Internet, but it is worth listening to at least once.
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

Frumious Bandersnatch I've heard of but have never heard their music. I'll have to check them out. Sopwith Camel...I remember listening to an album of theirs years ago, but wasn't that impressed. It didn't really stick with me.

I love the whole Jefferson Airplane/Jefferson Starship and related stuff (minus the awful 80's "Starship") and have a special liking for the PERRO related albums. PERRO (Planet Earth Rock & Roll Orchestra) was a loose collection of musicians lead by Paul Kanter that formed in the Bay Area around '69 or '70. They recorded a few notable albums like David Crosby's If I Could Only Remember My Name and the Paul Kanter/Jefferson Starship album Blows Against the Empire (which is one of my favourite albums of all time). Later, in 1983 Kanter used the PERRO name to record the underrated 'sequel' to Blows, Planet Earth Rock & Roll Orchestra: The Empire Blows Back. There's also a 4 CD bootleg of early 70's PERRO outtakes and jams out there. Here's a song from the Blows Against the Empire album (with a pretty cool video someone's made for it)...

May be a bit Grateful Deady for your tastes, RAD, especially considering Jerry Garcia plays guitar on it, but I put it up here for anyone to check it out.
rememberaday
Judge!
Judge!

Post by rememberaday »

I was totally oblivious to PERRO. :shock: I'll give them a chance.

How is Country Joe and the Fish? Are they memorable? For some reason, I've always preferred the L.A bands of that time as opposed to the San Francisco ones.
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

Electric Music for the Mind and Body (1967) is essential psychedelia. I've had that album for years, but I had never listened to any other albums by Country Joe and the Fish. From what I've heard of I-Feel-Like-I'm-Fixin'-to-Die (1967) and Together (1968), they are both excellent too.
rememberaday
Judge!
Judge!

Post by rememberaday »

This is a great site for discovering psychedelic gems that tend to get overlooked : http://www.psychedelicobscurities.blogspot.com/

Dr. Schluss is the modern internet version of Timothy Leary. :lol: [-o<
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

H. P. Lovecraft...a great psychedelic band from the late 60's. Always loved them.

rememberaday
Judge!
Judge!

Post by rememberaday »

HP Lovecraft...I've listened to them but never have actually pursued their music....sounds good though.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Is the XTC side project, The Dukes Of Stratosphear, all that psychedelic? I saw an album of theirs in a music store on the weekend, but hesitated to buy it.
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

I absolutely love the original EP 25 O'Clock. They do a great job of re-creating the sound of 60's British psychedelia using vintage instruments, but the songs are such great tunes that it elevates the album above mere homage. I found the follow up full length, Psonic Psunspot to be less effective. The 60's sound is still there, and there are a few great songs, but the songwriting in general is not nearly as strong as on 25 O'clock. I have the original EP on vinyl, Chips From the Chocolate Fireball (combines both releases) on CD, and the 'hardcover book' deluxe CD version of 25 O'clock with bonus tracks. I would definitely recommend the latter mentioned of those releases.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

All right!! Sold. I will have to see if the albums are still there - new arrivals at a used store. There were two remastered albums, but I did not catch the titles. Thanks!!
flippikat
Axe
Axe

Post by flippikat »

Tame Impala caught my ear a few months ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjeaW48wkPo

Then I found out that there's other side-projects & spinoff bands from them, my favourite is probably Pond.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt-1UBBUGCs sounds like Syd-era Pink Floyd dragged into the 21st century.. especially once you get past the instrumental intro at about 4:20..
Doctor Robert
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Doctor Robert »

Always prefered Uk psyche to the Americans though I do rate Jefferson Airplane highly . Groups like Kalidescope, Tomorrow, Blossom Toes and even the Pretty Things .Something endearing listening to songs about toy shops ,Alice in Wonderland and tea :) Not exactly psyche but Pearls Before Swine are great. Oh and 5D by The Byrds .
Uncle Harry 74
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Uncle Harry 74 »

Hey Massed Gadgets, how's it going? I was wondering what you've been listening to in 2013 on the new Psych front?
White Manna came good with 'Dune Worship' I thought.
Sula came up with another version of band, Zone Six called Krautzone and an album named, 'Kosmiche Rituale' - in my top ten of 2013 for sure.
Electric Moon issued 'You Can See the Sound of' which came out on white vinyl - at least 2 of the 3 tracks were tip-top psych jams.
Then the Moon teamed up with Papir an instrumental Dutch outfit who they jammed with on 'PaperMoon' - you heard it?

Carlton Melton - 'Always Even' and Ghost Box Orchestra - 'Vanished' were outstanding in my view. I discovered Kandodo (Pierce from The Heads) and Plankton Wat from your band Eternal Tapestry (your icon anyway).

Steven R. Smith's 'Radio Sessions' worth a listen (artist also known as Ulaan Khol - guitar jams).
I bought the live vinyl by Hills from Rocket Recordings which was great and they should have something new in 2014.
Mugstar's 'Centralia' worth a listen or three and Harsh Toke issued 'Light Up and Live' which has spinned a few times.

Mention should be made of Da Captain Trips, 'Anechoic Chamber Outcomes 1' album but I went off it after a short while as I did with Bardo Pond's 'Peace on Venus' album.

What about you?

Uncle Harry
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

Guess I missed the post above. Well, here was my list of favourites from last year...

Acid Mothers Temple and the Cosmic Inferno – Doobie Wonderland
Cosmic Trip Machine – Golden Horus Name
Electric Sorcery – Book of Lies
Hedersleben – Upgoer
Lamp of the Universe – Transcendence
Mammatus – Heady Mental
Melodic Energy Commission – Wave Packet
Monomyth – s/t
Monster Magnet – Last Patrol
MV & EE – Fuzzweed
Psicomagia – Psicomagia
ROVO & System 7 – Phoenix Rising