'Baker Street' Saxophonist Dies

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
Bigmanpigman
Knife
Knife

'Baker Street' Saxophonist Dies

Post by Bigmanpigman »

Raf Ravenscroft, the saxophonist on 'Baker Street' has died. Legend has it that he only received £27 for his efforts, and that the cheque bounced, though he did deny ever saying this in an interview a couple of years ago.

Raphael ‘Raf’ Ravenscroft, the saxophonist who played the riff on Gerry Rafferty’s classic track Baker Street, has died at 60.

The respected session musician also appeared on Robert Plant’s debut solo album Pictures At Eleven, Pink Floyd’s The Final Cut, and Mike Oldfield’s Islands and Earth Moving. He also wrote books on sax technique.

He’s thought to have suffered a heart attack at home in Devon after entering semi-retirement in 2012 due to ill health.

Friend Julie Bookham said: “Raphael suffered a stroke some time ago. He was taken to hospital but died early on Sunday morning.”

Baker Street, from Rafferty’s second solo album City to City, won an Ivor Novello Award for Best Song Musically And Lyrically in 1978. In 2010 it was recognised for having been player over 5,000,000 times.

Although his account is disputed, Ravenscroft said he came up with the riff after being presented with a song containing “several gaps.” He added: “Most of what I played was an old blues riff. If you're asking me, 'Did Gerry hand me a piece of music to play?' then no, he didn’t.”

The song’s success led to an increase in sax sales in the years following its release.
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 'Baker Street' Saxophonist Dies

Post by twcc »

Sad day, my brother knew him ... Raf was apparently a nice bloke
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

There was a Pink Floyd connection as well. If I remember correctly, he played on The Final Cut and toured with David Gilmour
Djgilmour
Blade
Blade

Post by Djgilmour »

Bigmanpigman wrote:Raf Ravenscroft, the saxophonist on 'Baker Street' has died. Legend has it that he only received £27 for his efforts, and that the cheque bounced, though he did deny ever saying this in an interview a couple of years ago.
Although his account is disputed, Ravenscroft said he came up with the riff after being presented with a song containing “several gaps.” He added: “Most of what I played was an old blues riff. If you're asking me, 'Did Gerry hand me a piece of music to play?' then no, he didn’t.”
Hmmm, what gaps?

https://youtu.be/7bcXRkMs0fs
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

I thought this was a late tribute to Bob Holness who died in 2012