Hand.Cannot.Erase

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
henno

Hand.Cannot.Erase

Post by henno »

Steven wilsons new album..... an incredible sonic landscape that is firmly rooted in rock prog !!!

ive only listened to it once (first time tonight) so ill take a few more listens before ill make my mind up... but "perfect life" is an instant classic

discuss ;)
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: Hand.Cannot.Erase

Post by Hudini »

Wow, I didn't even know he had an album coming out. Coincidentally, I've spent the entire afternoon watching Porcupine Tree and Jansen/Barbieri/Karn live videos on YouTube. I'm really looking forward to hearing this. Thanks for the info, Adrian. :D
BertWW96
Blade
Blade

Post by BertWW96 »

HCE is musically tremendous, but lyrically incredibly sad (it's a concept album about an unhappy topic).

Anyone reading this that doesn't know Steven Wilson should check out his work; you have nothing to lose, and I'm guessing more than a few of you will be happy you did.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

I will be listening to this album in the coming days...I am not a huge fan, but like some of his work (solo and PT).
henno

Post by henno »

If you liked "the raven that refused to sing" and his Storm Corrosion partnership... you'll love this.

It is a tough listen, then themes are sad and hard hitting, but they are wrapped in a rainbow of musical gems
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

OK, here's my first impressions.

It's a beautiful piece of work on all accounts. Very heavy and demanding, but a really rewarding experience, musical and emotional.

It's been a while since I zoned out like that. All that fullness and emptiness at the same time, very hard to describe. Both inspirational and kind of suicidal at the same time...

I don't know what Gilmour has in store this time, but this is my early contender for the best album of 2015.

Well done, Mr. Wilson. [-D-] [-D-] [-D-]
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

Loving this album so far, some really great moments.

The first guitar solo in Ancenstral is just so emotional, really hit me hard the first time I listened to it.

Also loving Regret #9 with all the keyboard noodling and then the guitar coming in (shades of Any Colour).

Definitely top 3 for album of the year.
henno

Post by henno »

only after finding out that the female voice on Perfect Life is Katherine Jenkins !!!!

not only is she a wonder to behold, but now her calm welsh spoken tone will always be ingrained in my head :)
henno

Post by henno »

and in case anyone was wondering... the basis for the album is this horrific and deeply sad event

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joyce_Vincent
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

This album is a masterpiece. Complex progressive rock that still hits hard emotionally and resonates within you.
PooF
Hammer
Hammer

Post by PooF »

Never heard of him before, but thanks to this thread I got this record. Excellent. Perfect Life is just so ... perfect

(plus, I've ordered Ghosts on Magnetic Tape)
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

I believe I like his solo albums and Storm Corrosion more than Porcupine Tree.

Anyway, with two listens, I like this new album - there are a few shorter songs I will generally skip (usual with all the Steven Wilson related albums).

Glad I have this one - I feel a Steven Wilson solo play list on my horizon.
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

PooF wrote:Never heard of him before, but thanks to this thread I got this record.
You've never heard of Steven Wilson?!

What about Porcupine Tree?
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Well, it's not like Steven Wilson is really a household name. Even Porcupine Tree is relatively obscure among general public, though anyone with the least amount of knowledge about modern progressive rock should know about them.

Anyway, 'Hand. Cannot. Erase.' has been in my playlist for three weeks now, played at least once a day, and I can honestly say I like it more than anything Wilson made in the past, including Porcupine Tree. Unlike most of his output so far, this album has no particular weak spots. Everything falls into place nicely, everything has a meaning related to the story and there are really no expendable tracks worth skipping. What's more, after a few dozen listens I still keep finding new little details I haven't noticed before and I still keep getting surprised about how good all of it is. I just love 'Regret #9', and 'Ancestral' is a downright masterpiece.

I'm really loving this album.
PooF
Hammer
Hammer

Post by PooF »

jambo wrote:
PooF wrote:Never heard of him before, but thanks to this thread I got this record.
You've never heard of Steven Wilson?!

What about Porcupine Tree?
I had heard of them, but not heard any of their music. Actually, I must have heard of Steven Wilson at some time in the past because I have since recognised Ghosts on Magnetic Tape, but I don't remember when. One of the benefits of creeping age is that all music is always new!