K2 Movie Music

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

K2 Movie Music

Post by Annoying Twit »

The instrumental music to the movie "K2" (about climbing the mountain) that I heard on US netflix sounds so much like Pink Floyd, that I think some of it may err into plagiarism. A lot of it sounds like the instrumental bits of SOYCD, and the guitarist IMHO does a good job of imitating Dave, as the keyboardist does for Rick. Comments on the youtube video below says that the guitar was done by Eddie van Halen ?!?!?!

It seems that there are different versions of the movie with different music (copyright claims?), but I think that the music I heard was composed by Chaz Jankel of The Blockheads.

EDIT: This youtube video demonstrates the Floydness right from the beginning. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dE7JvHahoJU I hope PF got some writing credits for that.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: K2 Movie Music

Post by Hudini »

Interestingly, I've seen the film again just a couple of months ago but I didn't seem to notice the Floydness in the music. :?
Maybe I was paying too much attention to the climbing details? It's regarded one of the most accurate climbing films ever, and for a reason.

EDIT: I just found out that there were two different scores made for the film. It seems that there a two versions of the film, the American version with music by Chaz Jankel and the European version with music by Hans Zimmer. I have no idea what version was it that I've seen though.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: K2 Movie Music

Post by Hudini »

OK, I seem to have found the connection. The Hans Zimmer score version seems to have featured additional (uncredited) compositions by Nick Glennie-Smith, who was one of the two keyboardists in Waters' backing band at 'The Wall' show in Berlin. So my guess is that the SOYCD-cloned theme was Glennie-Smith's "contribution" which was left uncredited most probably for obvious copyright issues. I don't know if there are any other themes like that in the film since the one I've seen recently was definitely the other version.