Weird taste in music

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
EclipsedByTheMoon
Axe
Axe

Weird taste in music

Post by EclipsedByTheMoon »

Okay guys, just to make this clear, I'm a die hard Floyd fan, but I do find myself enjoying other types of (completely different) music. Pink Floyd is my favorite band besides Queen and the Black Keys (not sure if you've heard of them, they're an American rock duo that already won a couple of Grammy's) which is a really odd combination. The problem is that these bands have NOTHING in common. I don't think I need to talk about how great Pink Floyd really is, but I do think it's weird to like prog rock, hard rock and garage rock. Am I crazy/weird?
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: Weird taste in music

Post by jambo »

I like prog rock, trance, classical, blues, techno, metal, britpop and house.

More variety means more music!
EclipsedByTheMoon
Axe
Axe

Post by EclipsedByTheMoon »

jambo wrote:I like prog rock, trance, classical, blues, techno, metal, britpop and house.

More variety means more music!
That's true! Actually, the opening track of the Black Keys' latest album is a homage to Breathe off The Dark Side Of The Moon, lol.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

I can't really think of a prog or prog-related band that didn't pay homage to 'Speak To Me/Breathe' in one way or another.

Back on topic, I still classify Pink Floyd as my favorite band although I enjoy much more music of different kinds. My current phone playlist includes Dream Theater, Faith No More, Fates Warning, Japan, Jansen/Barbieri/Karn, Pearl Jam, Pink Floyd, Steven Wilson and Tom Waits. How's that for diversity? :)

That being said, the only genres of contemporary music I can't really stomach are MTV pop, overly repetitive techno (I don't really discern specific sub-genres of) and Balkan pop-folk. Everything else goes into consideration.

Also, someone once said that there are two kinds of people in this world: the ones that like ABBA and the ones that lie they don't like ABBA. ;)
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

And shouldn't this thread be in the General Music Discussion forum? :?
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

Good point Hudini. I shall move it now :)
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

I would have, but for some reason my mod powers aren't working at the moment...
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

They had to get rid of an entire section of the forum to de-mod you. Is that a tribute to something or other?
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

Anything less would just seem inadequate.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

I wish I could be more varied in my musical tastes, but as I've got older, I've just stuck with the things I listened to in the 90's in my 20's.

Mind you, I can't watch films or box sets of TV shows any more. Just really can't switch off and watch the screen! So I think my musical tastes got off lightly by comparison.
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

There's been a bit of research in to musical tastes and it seems as though your situation is pretty normal JDB

http://www.dancingastronaut.com/2015/05 ... ng-age-33/

"If you’re in your mid-30s, chances are you’ve found the type of music you’ll be listening to for the rest of your life. In fact, you may already be succumbing to the “music was better in my day” phenomenon. At least these are the conclusions of a new study by tech blogger Skynet & Ebert, who found that as listeners age throughout their 20s, their tastes slowly begin to recede from popular music."
moodyblue
Hammer
Hammer

Post by moodyblue »

I can remember in my 20's, I kinda liked Madonna specifically a track called 'Live To Tell'. My mates at the time were far too aloof to even acknowledge that there may have been anything about the track to like. They were totally dismissive simply because it was probably uncool to them.
I still like her or periods of her work in any case.

Abba is another. Loved them then and still love them now. Was lucky enough to have seen them in the very late 70's.
Love them or loathe them, no one can deny their talent.

One music I have very little time for is Rap. It's not music to be honest but more lyrical.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

moodyblue wrote:Love them or loathe them, no one can deny their talent.
There are two kinds of people in this world: the ones that love Abba, and the ones that lie they don't love Abba.
Follix
Knife
Knife

Post by Follix »

See my problem is that I don't like a lot of bands... But what I like I adore..

Pink Floyd (all era) is probably 60% of what I listen to, add the Beatles and you have 95% of what I listen to. The rest is mainly isolated songs from several bands but I don't enjoy the rest of their work.
Bigmanpigman
Knife
Knife

Post by Bigmanpigman »

Hudini wrote:
moodyblue wrote:Love them or loathe them, no one can deny their talent.
There are two kinds of people in this world: the ones that love Abba, and the ones that lie they don't love Abba.

I have to be honest - it took me a few decades to come to terms with my feelings about Abba. Back in the '70s, when they were at their peak, it was so totally uncool to express anything other than contempt for their 'pop pap', though it was perfectly ok to express what you'd like to do with Agnetha [-X . Like just about everyone else I now fully understand that Benny and Bjorn were sheer pop geniuses, while Agnetha and Anni-Frid provided the perfect front. I can now sit back and enjoy their songs without bothering about what's cool \:D/