R.I.P. Keith Emerson

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

R.I.P. Keith Emerson

Post by snifferdog »

Yep, another week, another death. This time it would appear that it may have been a suicude.
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Re: R.I.P. Keith Emerson

Post by The Gunner's Dream »

I am very sad to hear this. He shaped my playing more than any other pianist and through his music I was introduced to jazz. While playing to a rock audience, his synthesis of jazz harmony with modern classical idioms was so far ahead of its time. In his youth he was unstoppable as a pianist; I can think of almost nothing the man could not play with ease. Sometimes I feel like he had a brain for each hand, and his pushing of boundaries and limits inspires me to this day. Though his playing declined in recent years due to physical complications, his influence and innovations will not be forgotten. Rest in Peace, Keith.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

Keith Emerson was the greatest Rock keyboard player this country produced.
I thought it was age related but a self inflicted gunshot wound?
A sad end. I had heard rumours he was having troubles with the nerves in his hands.
And I've been listening to "Piano Improvisations" from his 1974 live album.

R.I.P. Keith Emerson.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Not another one! :shock:
Anderson Council
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Anderson Council »

He was my true hero, a favourite musician of all time. RiP Keith.
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by The Gunner's Dream »

Jimi Dean Barrett wrote:I had heard rumours he was having troubles with the nerves in his hands.
And I've been listening to "Piano Improvisations" from his 1974 live album.
His playing has been on a decline since the early 90's when he sustained an ulnar nerve injury to his right arm. He underwent a surgery and his right hand has never been the same since. I know in recent years he has had increasing difficulty in playing piano. Perhaps that and whatever other personal problems he was going through left him feeling like he had nothing left to live for. :(

"Piano Improvisations" from "Welcome back my friends..." is one of the best examples of his incredible technical ability. A lot of people overlook his true ability because of his enormous showmanship; playing grand pianos spinning midair, ramming knives through Hammond organs, setting off cannons onstage, etc. The fugue he plays at the beginning 2 minutes of "Piano improvisations" (the fugue was written by Friedrich Gulda) is one of the hardest things a pianist can play. Amazing playing, he was really at the top of his game.
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

A sad loss, RIP Mr Emerson
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Just felt the need to log in and say "fuck! No!" and share this sad moment with all you. Man, a self inflicted gun shot... Poor Keith.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

It's a very sad loss...

I'm still processing this: it seems reading negative comments about his recent playing on message boards contributed to his depression and his decision to take his own life... To think that a stupid comment the kind of most of us make every other day can practically decide someone's fate gives me the creeps.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

Hudini wrote:I'm still processing this: it seems reading negative comments about his recent playing on message boards contributed to his depression and his decision to take his own life... To think that a stupid comment the kind of most of us make every other day can practically decide someone's fate gives me the creeps.
Yep. The internet is wonderful in so many ways but unfortunately it has also brought out the nasty side in too many people. It's all too easy to insult people on forums, on social media etc. when you're anonymous and you're not saying it to their face. It's not classy and never will be. No matter how people dress it up, think it's hilarious, reckon other person is an idiot and deserves the abuse, apply nicknames to their virtual abuse or whatever :smt011

By the time musicians reach Keith Emerson's age, we should be cutting them some slack. They're usually not going to be able to sing or play in the way they did when they were 25. Nor should people expect them to. Especially not someone playing in a physically demanding and challenging way. All you have to do is look at other musicians like Phil Collins or Neil Peart to see how playing their instrument has caused significant physical injuries.

By all accounts, he was a troubled person anyway so if it wasn't online comments, it might have been something else that tipped him over. You are right though, Hudini. It is a sobering thought that someone typing sh!t on an internet message board or on Twitter could have contributed to a fellow human's demise.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

^^That's a cop out.

I don't choose to believe internet forums were any kind of final straw for Keith Emerson. Music critics who were much more intelligent than the typical 21st century internet forum creep already tried to destroy him with words during his alleged peak in the 1970s.
He was in physical pain. Why should he suffer everyday for the rest of his life? I'm glad he left all of that music here.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

If that's what you want to believe, go right ahead. It's known that he was suffering from depression and mental health issues. When someone's not in the most mentally robust condition, it's not that easy for them to shrug off criticism and snort at their critics. Despite what some people who post on internet forums think, words can wound profoundly. If someone's mentally unwell, sensitive and troubled, reading this sort of stuff certainly isn't going to help them. I think anyone who takes the views of their critics and fans to heart shouldn't be reading this stuff in the first place but that's another story.

NME

The Guardian
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

I am aware Prince has died, but I'm still stunned by the apparent suicide of a man I've never met and have only heard a few albums by.
Anyone else still reeling from Keith's actions?