Captain Beefheart - Trout Mask Replica

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
Johnny Rotten
Hammer
Hammer

Captain Beefheart - Trout Mask Replica

Post by Johnny Rotten »

so.. this is it. the record of the records..
dadaist poetry that is waiting to be solved.
I think this is amazing record and totally one of its kind there will never be anything similar like this... not even in beefhearts own cataloge.
Useful Idiot
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Useful Idiot »

This thing is absolutely brilliant. It really can't be described in a way that does it justice, so just listen to it...
woof
Knife
Knife

Post by woof »

I've bought the album and it is so very odd. I've got the A&M demo session on vinyl and that is really good blues...try to get your hands on the album!!! It has been recently released...(2001ish).
SomeGhostsStepOut
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SomeGhostsStepOut »

It is a cool album. Some really good blues & free jazz influences with some Howlin Wolf-esque vocals.
oldhippy
Judge!
Judge!

Post by oldhippy »

Interesting reading your comments on one of my most favourite artists and what is considered his greatest work, I had all of his work and when this came out after the first play I couldn?t believe what the man was doing it all sounded out of key wrong speed you name it had it. It started to get better as time went and when I did eventfully get it I was completely blown away the Captain is a genius. I still have the original LP to this day.
SydsMadcapGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SydsMadcapGirl »

Right on that you bring this up. I am definitely a huge Captain Beefheart fan.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Oh, I must get this...just bumping it to inspire ya'll!!
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

Ah, Trout Mask Replica...it is a one of a kind classic! If you've never heard it, it's difficult to get into at first. I've known many a soul who has given up after a listen or two, which is too bad, because they never discover this album's brilliance and unique charm. One of the great masterpieces of psychedelic rock and blues.
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

fast and boolbuss!
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

J Ed wrote:fast and boolbuss!
Ha ha! When you said that, I just remembered the time back in university when my friend got her first answering machine for her phone, so I called her up while she was in class, and played that little snippet about squids over the phone and hung up. She spend weeks trying to figure out whose voice it was before I finally told her! To this day, whenever I mention Trout Mask Replica, she just shakes her head. :lol:
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

its a very quotable record
hows that bit go?
"a squid eating dough out of a polyethelene bag is fast and bulbous"
"fast and boolbuss"
"thass rat"
I think theres a few more lines and other bits appear across the album...

to this day I still pronounce "thass rat" like that but rarely remember that it was a certain record that got me in that habit
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

I really must get this...way back in high school, I was told by an english teacher, that if I liked Syd Barrett, I'd like the Captain.
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by 2066 »

J Ed wrote:fast and boolbuss!
Yes, the mascara snake...fast and bülbous
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: Captain Beefheart - Trout Mask Replica

Post by nosaj »

Okay, so this week I heard Captain Beefheart for the first time. I listened to pieces of the box set (I think it is called Grow Fins), and was not impressed. However, I did get a copy of Trout Mask Replica and really quite like it. In only took me, what, three years to follow up on my posts above?

I noticed J Ed actually called the later part of Tom Waits' career as something along the lines of his Captain Beefheart phase in another thread. It makes sense. Johnny Rotten posted (see above), something along the lines of nobody will ever create an album like Trout Mask Replica. I say listen to some 90's Tom Waits.

What Captain Beefheart album should I get next?
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: Captain Beefheart - Trout Mask Replica

Post by J Ed »

Waits' voice sounds very much like Beefheart's by the time of SwordfishTrombones but he also gets into a more fractured experimental songwriting style at that point ... the painful sounding growl had been evolving all along
Waits has discussed the Beefheart influence, I know ... theres even a bit in EverReliableWikiEtc:
In August 1980, Waits married Kathleen Brennan, ... She introduced him to the music of Captain Beefheart. Despite having shared a manager with Beefheart in the 1970s, Waits says, "I became more acquainted with him when I got married."
as fars as what other Beefheart to get next, its been a million years since I listened to him to tell the truth, but I vaguely remember something else very weird sounding called Kandy Korn
...ah yes, I see that was from the Mirror Man album which I used to have a cassette dub of (thatd be why I havent played it recently) ... lengthier jams with surrealist growling on top as I recall