Worst music ever

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Re: Worst music ever

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

I've no idea why it came back into fashion a few years ago, but I can't stand Big Band and Swing music.
Yes, it might have been new and important in the early 20th Century, but it's got no place in the present day!
No place I tells ya!!
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

snifferdog wrote:I see Phil Collins is making a comeback. While I'd not file him under "worst music ever", he is definitely someone whose musical output went rapidly downhill.
Phil can definitely write a nice heartfelt tune; however, production is usually really boring.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

I've never understood much of the complaints about Phil Collins.
He was a great drummer for the Gabriel Genesis.
He was a great frontman for the Collins Genesis, resulting in many hits.
And, as a solo artist, he also had some memorable tunes.

Even though I prefer the Gabriel Genesis,
I just don't understand the complaints. :?

And I would even go as far as wondering why even adult rock stars
are being schoolbully for the teenager that Justin Bieber was.
At least, the kid could play some music instruments. Including guitar.

:?
Bigmanpigman
Knife
Knife

Post by Bigmanpigman »

Wolfpack wrote:I've never understood much of the complaints about Phil Collins.
He was a great drummer for the Gabriel Genesis.
He was a great frontman for the Collins Genesis, resulting in many hits.
And, as a solo artist, he also had some memorable tunes.

Even though I prefer the Gabriel Genesis,
I just don't understand the complaints. :?

And I would even go as far as wondering why even adult rock stars
are being schoolbully for the teenager that Justin Bieber was.
At least, the kid could play some music instruments. Including guitar.

:?
I agree with you as regards Phil Collins. The other Genesis guys thought they were in heaven when Phil brought them into the charts. Bieber - the guy is just a wanker.
Alternative 4
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Alternative 4 »

On a similar Genesis theme. I heard Mike and the Mechanics the other day.....boy was that bad. Some of the worst music I have ever heard.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Bieber can play, sure, but it's the nature of music... I tried to figure out for myself what it is that makes me dislike much (not all) of the teenage pop, and there were some reasons, BUT one of the things I just could not explain properly other than it affects my psyche. You know, it's like when you don't know what it is but it makes you feel uncomfortable.

As for the Mechanics, I only know Over My Shoulder, and while it's not horrible, it's inoffencive, and that can put some people off.
Follix
Knife
Knife

Post by Follix »

Teenage pop: Songs sound similar and lyrics sucks.
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

Bigmanpigman wrote:I agree with you as regards Phil Collins. The other Genesis guys thought they were in heaven when Phil brought them into the charts. Bieber - the guy is just a wanker.
Thing is though, the other guys wrote a tonne of those chart topping pop songs.

Phil did bring some pop in, but banks and Rutherford came up with some of their biggest 80s hits.

Also Gabriel went on to make pop rock, although with a lot more depth than usual.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

People don't seem to realize that Tony Banks was responsible for most of Genesis' best known songs, with both Gabriel and Collins at the front. People also seem to completely ignore the contribution of Steve Hackett - the only time Genesis was a full-blown prog rock act was while he was is the band and there's less than a handful of songs that could be remotely called progressive before and after his tenure. Whoever the songs were credited to, it is obvious that Hackett made a great influence on the others, plus he is the only one of them who continued to make proggy music after he left the band.
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

Even funnier still, Phil Collins was actually the one who always pushed to play the older progressive tracks on later tours. He even wanted to play Supper's Ready, in its entirety, on their 1992 tour, but was voted down by Rutherford and Banks.

After watching the making of DVDs for all of the albums it is quite evident that Banks was in charge and even Rutherford had more say and priority than Collins. Everyone just assumes that Gabriel was in charge in the early years and Collins later on.

And Steve Hackett was indeed very important. It's very disappointing how he's been treated by the band and the management since leaving. The recent documentary skirted around a lot of his work and influence inside the band.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by moom »

Hudini wrote:People don't seem to realize that Tony Banks was responsible for most of Genesis' best known songs, with both Gabriel and Collins at the front.
And that includes their pop-rock songs from the 80s? In which case I've always thought it was Phil's influence, no?
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

moom wrote:
Hudini wrote:People don't seem to realize that Tony Banks was responsible for most of Genesis' best known songs, with both Gabriel and Collins at the front.
And that includes their pop-rock songs from the 80s? In which case I've always thought it was Phil's influence, no?
No, it was all members of the band wanting to do pop stuff, as well as longer songs that you would call their prog work.

Some of the making of's from the special edition DVDs are on YouTube. They're quite thorough and show exactly who brought what to the table for each album.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by moom »

I do have the s/t album on SACD with some behind-the-music videos, but it's been a long time since I last watched them.
I also have Calling All Stations on SACD with videos. A lot of people would agree that one is one of the band's worst albums. I do love the first two tracks, but the rest is just overly-polished mediocrity. Potential wasted, imho, as it seems to me that Ray Wilson is quite nice of a musician.
By the way, ever heard of Art Brut? I really love them, though many people seem to have misunderstood them for some one-off joke.
Their guitarist Ian Catskilkin is actually Ray's little brother :)
Fingals Cave
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Fingals Cave »

All of the following, as Julian Cope so elegantly says it, suck big logs:

Bon Jovi
Aerosmith
Poison
Guns & Roses
...and any other hair metal/cock-rock walking cliches.

70s rock-lite...
ELO
Wings
10CC
Supertramp

Quite a few disses to UB40 early on in the thread , but Signing Off and Present Arms were great! Proper roots & culture Brummie-style. But yeah, they ended up moving to Suck City. Add other purveyors of reggae-lite to the shit-list too, Maxi Priest and Aswad sorta thing.

I've never heard any of those nu-metal/emo efforts that other posters have dissed. Lucky me!
jtull
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by jtull »

Maroon 5
Kid Rock
David Guetta
Nickelback
Yoko Ono
Fall Out Boy
David Hasselhoff