Krautrock

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Krautrock

Post by Massed Gadgets »

I notice there seem to be at least a few people in here who are into the so-called Krautrock or Kosmische Musik that came out of Germany in the late 60's/early 70's and which has since influenced many musicians, especially in the 90's and preset day scene. Sooooooooo...I thought I'd start a thread to talk all about one of my favourite "genres" of music. So what Krautrock bands do you like? Know of any obscure or hidden gems? Anything really.

I have long been into a lot of the classic stuff like Can, Amon Du?l II, Ash Ra Tempel, Neu!, Tangerine Dream, Klaus Schultze...more recently have gotten into acts like Faust, Cosmic Jokers, and Guru Guru, plus a lot of other more obscure ones. The Roland Kovac New Set, anyone? :wink: How about Kalacakra?

Some people say that the symphonic rock tradition that emerged from Germany (Grobschnitt, Eloy, Epidaurus, etc.) is not part of the Krautrock genre. That the Krautrock genre is defined more by experimentation, industrial influenced rhythms, etc. What do you think? What defines the genre?

Some of my favourite Krautrock albums are: Tangerine Dream - "Alpha Centauri", Neu! - "Neu!", Ash Ra Tempel - "Schwingungin", Amon Du?l II - "Tanz der Lemmings", Can - "Tago Mago".

Well, I know this is a rather broad topic, so I just thought I'd throw in a few things to start it off.
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: Krautrock

Post by Stephen »

Massed Gadgets wrote: Some of my favourite Krautrock albums are: Tangerine Dream - "Alpha Centauri",.
Two of my favourite Tangerine Dream albums are Phaedra and Ricochet but if you can track it down, try and get hold of Antarktis by them, its a live album but i'm not sure whether its a b**t**g or not, i got it off Li**w**e. :) ....pretty amazing any way.
The Gnome
Blade
Blade

Post by The Gnome »

Can & Amon Du?l II are -by my standars- the best of the lot, and Popul Vuh of course. But they are more folkrockish, but they came out of the krautrock movement.

What defines the genre? Can does, its space prog rock. Kraut is slang for hashish in german, and that says it all ;)
Anna-Roza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Anna-Roza »

Massed Gadget's list is very long... I'd add the amazing Kraan to it :P
And Holger Czukay's solo stuff :D
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

The Gnome wrote:Kraut is slang for hashish in german...
never knew that! see what I get for ass-u-me-ing?
but when I plug Kraut into Googles translation thingie, it outputs "herb",
which is related, but a little bit broader in meaning...

J Ed
ganaffe
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ganaffe »

I don't know much Krautrock, but I definitely love Tangerine Dream and some soloalbums by their members...

Stuff like Stratosfear, Rubycon or Phaedra are amazing records. They predate any ambient record by at least 15 years, but fit right into the genre. They invented it, and are even better than most modern ambient records, if you ask me!
The Gnome
Blade
Blade

Post by The Gnome »

J Ed wrote:plug Kraut into Googles translation thingie, it outputs "herb"
Yeah, thats the direct translation of the word. From there its not that far ;)
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

The Gnome wrote:Kraut is slang for hashish in german, and that says it all ;)
Not cabbage? Damn I should have listened more in German classes... :smt020
The Gnome
Blade
Blade

Post by The Gnome »

my breakfast. wrote:Not cabbage? Damn I should have listened more in German classes... :smt020
Not saurkraut, but kraut. Kraut is herb, and slang for hashish. (this from a german)

German is actually great fun...
gonza_ms
Blade
Blade

Post by gonza_ms »

I believe there’s a little trouble with style definitions – what is Kraut and what is, say, Goth… It’s all so stereotypical :wink:
Damn glad so many folks have mentioned CAN :D
Some works by incomparable German performer Nico may be regarded as Kraut, for instance, her 1974 co-operation with Brian Eno and John Cale “The End”.
Some years ago I came across such a definition of her 1981 album “Drama of Exile” as “where Goth meets new wave”. Still can’t decide – should I put smiles here or not? :wink:
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

Nico was in a league unto herself...I think it's really difficult to pigeonhole her music into any type of genre, including a rather wide genre descriptor like Krautrock. Oddly enough, I actually heard her version of "The End" before I ever heard The Doors' version, and I still like hers better (I guess that's one I could have put in that thread about covers that are better than the originals!)
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

J Ed wrote:when I plug Kraut into Googles translation thingie, it outputs "herb"
Woo hoo! HERB ROCK RULES!!!! :lol:
gonza_ms
Blade
Blade

Post by gonza_ms »

Massed Gadgets
“I think it's really difficult to pigeonhole her music into any type of genre, “
Absolutely!
The Gnome
Blade
Blade

Post by The Gnome »

9flowing
Knife
Knife

Post by 9flowing »

What interesting questions Massed Gadgets :D If it's industrial and experimental then you have to include Kraftwerk but if it's symphonic rock you cannot include Kraftwerk...equally but with qualifications reversed there's Focus :D

One thing that I don't think has been mentioned is "production" and it's role in the sound. I've always thought that a lot of German produced music has a very elegant and smooth sound...maybe as a result of the German classical music industry?