Hawkwind thread.

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
Sonic Destruction
Lord!!
Lord!!

Re: Hawkwind thread.

Post by Sonic Destruction »

I do like "We Do It" (aka "I Do It", "Do It", etc) from "Text Of Festival" - very krautrockian.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

That could be the Dave Anderson link... Or the Thomas Crimble link... or the....

I had heard mention that a Levitation promo film existed, but here it finally is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fwb-nj8pI2k

I love how, once again, Brock refuses to sacrifice his facial hair in the name of theatrical makeup.
Sonic Destruction
Lord!!
Lord!!

Wow! :shock: That is great, and also rather hilarious :lol: :lol: :lol:
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

Great find . 8)
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

There also appears to be promo for Who's Gonna Win the War and World of Tiers... Levitation is such a strong album actually. :shock: It must be one of their most overtly prog offerings.
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

That video is cool, Alan. I've never seen that one before. Thanks for sharing it! I think Levitation is a terrific album. They gave it a bright and shiny, updated sound for the 80's while staying true to their space rock roots. Too bad being released in 1980, it ended up being the height of the decade for them. Tim Blake (who played synths on Levitation) is back with Hawkwind again these days.
Sonic Destruction
Lord!!
Lord!!

The 3CD reissue of "Levitation" is very good, being loaded with extras, some of which have never before been released.

I knew there was a promo clip for "World Of Tiers", and can remember seeing it on TV back in 1980. In fact, it was the first HW I had ever heard, and perhaps not the best introduction. With few of their albums available in NZ at the time, I didn't hear them again until about '83, when someone let me borrow most of their 1970's albums on vinyl. The "World Of Tiers" clip is easy to find on youtube, but I didn't know there were also clips for "Levitation" and "Whose Gonna Win The War". I think I might try and dial up the latter on youtube if the ground stops shaking long enough.

Is that Tim Blake on the "Levitation" promo, or is it his successor Keith Hale?
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

Nice article about Hawkwind in the lasted issue of Classic Rock Presents PROG. Oddly enough, too, my local newspaper did a review of Blood of the Earth, amongst all the other reviews of the usual pop and indie rock darlings. Strange. Is it just me, or is Hawkwind getting a little more notice lately?
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

A few nights ago I spent hours on Youtube checking out Hawkwind, Motorhead and Lemmy videos (music, interviews and documentaries). Lemmy is a very interesting dude. I have always found the urge to listen to Hawkwind is very hit and miss with me. Actually, it is NPF that lead me to seek them out. Thanks!

Anyway, I have explored the first several albums, but it is difficult to navigate the post-Lemmy years. This thread is an awesome resource...and so, my search continues. Thanks!!

Oh, and what an interesting story the history of Hawkwind makes. What is it, 50 people have been in and out of the band over the years? Kind of interesting that there was a big reunion of all members that broke down into in-fighting. Crazy!
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

After the Lemmy years their output gets very unpredictable. There are a lot of poorly misguided trance and techno offerings from Hawkwind.... its funny that Ozric Tentacles were probably hotter at that point in time, and they owed Hawkwind at least one limb each....
Beowulf
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Beowulf »

my breakfast. wrote:There also appears to be promo for Who's Gonna Win the War and World of Tiers... Levitation is such a strong album actually. :shock: It must be one of their most overtly prog offerings.
An all round excellent album and my favourite by Hawkwind. Ginger Baker's drumming is an excellent addition to the classic line-up, shame it was just for the one album
Beowulf
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Beowulf »

my breakfast. wrote:There also appears to be promo for Who's Gonna Win the War and World of Tiers...
Interesting, did you find them on Youtube?
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Beowulf wrote:
my breakfast. wrote:There also appears to be promo for Who's Gonna Win the War and World of Tiers...
Interesting, did you find them on Youtube?
They were all up on Youtube, let me take a lookie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MZqag2YbGs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=092aE9HuAUA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fwb-nj8pI2k

I just got my mits on a recording of Hawkwind from Colchester 1971. It was originally disk 2 of Text of a Festival, the Dave Anderson leased bootleg (and cause of much wrath). There are three tracks, The Reason Is, Be Yourself, and You Shouldn't Do That. Overall its about 40 minutes of lumpy if inspired jamming. Nik Turner's echo-laden flute adds a certain glaze to an otherwise sludgey band. It seems a lot of bands were recorded in Colchester, so I'm thinking there was a prolific bootlegging scene down there. Even The Sweet were bootlegged there! 8)
thefinalcut
Hammer
Hammer

Post by thefinalcut »

thought this thread was on Stephen Hawking :shock:
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »