Re: Hawkwind thread.

Post by thefinalcut »

lol !
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

So, who has heard their new album, Onward?
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

I seen theres new vinyl reissues of their first 5 albums
apparantly Warrior... isnt part of this batch...
thing is each reissue has an extra LP of bonus disc, and Space Ritual is now two double albums (vol1 and vol2)
even Text of Festival is back in print, silly me I might just have to get that one

has anyone heard these vinyl reissues with their generous bonus tracks? reviews?
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

It is strange to release Space Ritual in that format.

To me it would make more sense to release both gigs it was culled from. Space Ritual Volume 2 has some redundancy from the original Space Ritual but is probably sonically better and 'truer' to the actual music heard at the gigs (though I still think some overdubbing exists on it).
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

With the release of a deluxe Warrior on the Edge of Time, I was inspired to listen to my Hawkwind albums, which only go up to Warrior because I heard mostly negative things post this period. BUT, I picked up Astounding Sounds, Amazing Music, and it isn't that bad. I can see exploring all the way to Levatation now...
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

Hey Nosaj, are you going to see them in Toronto in October? I'm flying to T.O. to see them. They're playing Warrior on the Edge of Time in its entirety on this tour. I am totally stoked. Oh, and as for post Warrior albums, their are actually some quite good ones. Hall of the Mountain Grill and Quark, Strangeness and Charm are must haves. 25 Years On (which is actually Hawklords) and PXR5 are both pretty good albums, and Levitation of course is a classic. After that, it gets a bit patchier. I like Chronicle of the Black Sword (although I actually prefer the double live CD Live Chronicles). Electric Teepee is one of the best of the Davey Alan era.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Massed Gadgets wrote:Hey Nosaj, are you going to see them in Toronto in October? I'm flying to T.O. to see them. They're playing Warrior on the Edge of Time in its entirety on this tour.
Still undecided (details in other thread). I will see if I can get that PM funktion working again.

I will do a little research. I listened to Onward recently, and can only assume it is the same lineup as the upcoming tour. Onward wasn't bad, and that is the weird thing to me. It was a bit polished compared to Warrior. So, maybe this lineup could make Warrior even more awesome...the drums, perhaps. Better drumming, or is the hypnotic 4/4 of early Hawkwind more desirable?
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

Dave Brock, obviously, is still in the band, but no other members from the Warrior days, unfortunately. Tim Blake, however, is in the band playing keyboards and synths. He originally played on the Levitation album. (He was also in Gong for their Radio Gnome Invisible trilogy) He's on my Facebook, and he posted some videos from some of the shows in England and it looked and sounded pretty awesome. They are probably on Youtube somewhere. Also in the band are Mr. Dibs from Krel and Spacehead, Niall Hone from Mandragora, Captain Sensible and Tribe of Cro, and Dead Fred from Inner City Unit.

I'm meeting up with one, possibly two friends to go to the show. If would be great if you could come, nosaj. Let me know if you are.
Bigmanpigman
Knife
Knife

Post by Bigmanpigman »

They're going to be headlining at 'Planet Rockstock' - December 6-8 in Great Yarmouth. An unusual one this - ticket price includes accommodation.

http://www.planetrock.com/events/rock-stock/rockstock/
milesalbert1
Axe
Axe

Post by milesalbert1 »

I first got to see the Hawks on the tail end of ( live 79 ) and Levitation. I got to see them on dozens of occasions knowing their tour photographer / video man. I went to relive my youth in Exeter a few years ago and thats exactly what didnt happen. How surprising that they had aged along with the rest of us. I could not get into this sitting down band except for Jason stuart who died soon after ( what a trajedy R,I,P ) I loved Hawkwind and still listen them all the time. Alas i wont be going as even stilton has a eat by date.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Got Levitation, and it is good! I will have to fill in what I am missing between Warrior and this album.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

nosaj wrote:Got Levitation, and it is good! I will have to fill in what I am missing between Warrior and this album.

for an early digital album I think they mixed it really well. Sometimes '80s digital albums can sound sterile and thin, but I think they really did the music justice. It has to be my favorite 'late' era Hawkwind.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

The other thing I have to say, is what I have heard of the 1976 - 1980 period sounds quite good. I actually like some of the new wave sounding tunes. It is amazing Hawkwind was never that popular in North America. From what I gather, their current tour is the first one in North America in more than 25 years!!
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

I think I remember them playing in Toronto in the early 90's, but I'm not sure...I didn't see the show then. Oh, by the way, Nik Turner's Space Ritual is also touring. I think it's October 25th they'll be playing Toronto. I won't be coming back for that one though, because they're also playing Calgary, which is much, much closer to me. :D As for those late 70's/early 80's albums, they are all good, but particularly Levitation and Quark, Strangeness and Charm. Levitation was actually the album that originally turned me on to Hawkwind in the early 80's when I heard Who's Gonna Win the War on the radio.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

I can't make it to the show at the Mod club, as things stand. I don't know if they are sold out, as it would be a last minutes descision. ](*,)

Anyway, the song "Quark, Strangeness and Charm" coulda been a big hit in a place like Canada. After all, we were the biggest consumers of The Monks!!

Damn, I totally forgot how to post a YouTube clip here...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFPLgGWMndc