The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking Gives Us A Glimpse...

Talk about other Floyd related musicians here.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking Gives Us A Glimpse...

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

A good friend of mine wrote this sometime last year. I thought I would share it with you:

"The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking gives us a glimpse into the subconscious of a man who is weighing the pros and cons of actually being in a relationship, while asleep and dreaming.

The first few songs deal with a dream of picking up a hitch hiking couple and seducing (or being seduced by) the woman. In a twist signifying general danger in such a thing, the protagonist dreams that he wakes up to find scimitar wielding Arabs at the foot of the bed who rape his wife (a sadomasochistic idea of what he deserves for cheating on her in the first place?)...the dream then shifts to a German town where he is apparently hooking up again with the girl from earlier in the dream...they apparently have sex again and as he hold her body against his (in the dream) he apparently snuggles against his wife who presumes that he wants to have sex. This leads him to ponder sexual relations in general for a moment before dreaming that he wakes up to see his wife eating the family dog between two bits of bread (issues, anyone?)...it becomes an ordinary sandwich (this IS a dream, after all) and they decide to go live in the country.

At first, it seems idyllic. Then fall and winter come...their crops fail, the kids get sick, the heater runs out of fuel and an old friend shows up and steals his wife from him. He gives up and finds himself hitch hiking. He is picked up by a driver who listens to his story before throwing him out of the rig because he's going to throw up. The dream shifts a little...he continues hitch hiking, but now he's associating with bikers and pimping himself out to socialites. The dream becomes a little confusing here with the mention of Yoko Ono and the stuff that follows that, but it seems (given some things Roger has hinted at) that this part of the dream is concerned with the notion of hero versus villan...an internal self trial, perhaps? He seems to spend the condensed version of a long time wandering (through his subconscious, perhaps?) and finally realizes that "home" is where he belongs. He has what he needs in his real life...or at least what he has is better for him than not having it...and he wakes next to his wife. He reaches to reassure himself that she IS real and there...then, to his relief, he discovers that she is awake and he's not alone.

Just some of my thoughts...anyone else want to take a stab?"

- Sean Ellis (Mosespa)
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

I just thought I'd let you guys know that Mosespa recently joined this wonderful board. Hopefully he'll get around to posting some great stuff in the near future.
ifsheprefers

pros and cons

Post by ifsheprefers »

the confusing part (yoko...) becomes less confusing when roger says it was only a dream someone in the band/crew had
mostHigh
Axe
Axe

Post by mostHigh »

i think gerald ford deserves more credit, yes i'll agree with that
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

I'm crackers to slip the rozzner the dropsy in snide. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :roll:
mostHigh
Axe
Axe

Post by mostHigh »

pros and cons is a really complex type of record

i tend to think about vlade divac faking a foul when i jam out down the road to pros and cons driving my limo at approx. 93 miles an hour with the windows rolled down, obviously