Broken China

Talk about other Floyd related musicians here.

Is Broken China Worth Getting?

Yes, it's an awesome album!
38%
It's okay, but not that great.
38%
Stick with Wet Dream, it's a much better album.
13%
Rick was brilliant with PF, but his solo stuff sucks.
10%

Total votes: 39

Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Broken China

Post by Massed Gadgets »

So, 10 years ago when Rick's album Broken China came out, I was pretty excited, being a big fan of Wet Dream. But when I listened to it in the music store, my memory is of being quite disappointed...firstly, not a note of Rick's lovely piano playing, which was all over Wet Dream, but more than that, it just seemed to be far too many over-produced washes of synth pads. But that was ten years ago. The CD disappeared from record stores, I've never been able to find any mp3's, no one I know owns it, so I have not heard it since. Then, lo and behold, I'm browsing in a little record shop here in Edmonton yesterday and there it is, for $22.99. But this place wasn't set up to allow customers to listen to CD's. Now, I really can't remember the album very well, so my question is, is it worth $22.99, or am I going to be disappointed? What are your opinions, those who have it or have heard it?
Last edited by Massed Gadgets on Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sonic Destruction
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by Sonic Destruction »

Wow, that is a tough one. Should I recommend it and then have you maybe waste $22.99 on something you don't like?!

When it was released in New Zealand it almost immediately dropped from sight, despite a sticker on the front announcing the PF connection. I picked my brand new copy up for the equivilent of US$5, and it was definitely worth that much. Initially I was as disappointed by "Broken China" as I was by all the other PF solo albums. However, like most of the others, it has been a grower to the point where I would rate it as above "good", but well below "awesome".

To my ears it sounds a lot like an album length take on the Rick parts of "Division Bell" and "On An Island", and that is no bad thing. There are loads of ambient synth noodles which as easy on the ear, and one absolute standout track called "Breakthrough" which has Sinead O'Conner doing an awesome vocal (a version of this track was also one of the highlights of Gilmour's Meltdown DVD).

So, after all that, my answer would be, "Yes, buy it".
Eclipse

Post by Eclipse »

the best solo album, IMHO, by a floyd member, excellent atmosphere, very emotional, and shows the underrated talents of Rick :)
Slambient Expressway
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Slambient Expressway »

It's good, but I'd rather listen to Wet Dream.
Eclipse

Post by Eclipse »

Slambient Expressway wrote:It's good, but I'd rather listen to Wet Dream.
Wet Dream is good too, i think Rick's solo career is the most complete one compared to other floyd members, since both albums are very different from each other and are mind-blowing good!
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

both are good and I'm looking forward for the new album, but now I tend to like his early PF work more
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

I think it's a great album. Much better than Wet Dream.
Auggie
Axe
Axe

Post by Auggie »

I think it really shows what kind of contributions Wright gives to the Pink Floyd sound.
Sonic Destruction
Lord!!
Lord!!

Yeah, I agree with Auggie.

So Massed Gadgets, are you gonna buy it? Go on, you know you want to! :wink:
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Re: Broken China

Post by simpledumbpilot »

Massed Gadgets wrote:it just seemed to be far too many over-produced washes of synth pads.
Unfortunately your memory has not cheated you, my big gripe with the album is the abundance of synth pad presets which sound horribly generic and over-produced, also the lyrics carry none of the charm of Ricks earlier work. A throwaway faux-ambient album for the easily pleased. IMO of course. If you can get them to knock 1 of the 2's off the price, or preferably both, then its nice to get for the collections sake but otherwise prepare to have the same experience you had 10 years ago all over again, only this time it will cost you money!.
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Re: Broken China

Post by Yucateco »

simpledumbpilot wrote:
Massed Gadgets wrote:it just seemed to be far too many over-produced washes of synth pads.
Unfortunately your memory has not cheated you, my big gripe with the album is the abundance of synth pad presets which sound horribly generic and over-produced, also the lyrics carry none of the charm of Ricks earlier work. A throwaway faux-ambient album for the easily pleased. IMO of course. If you can get them to knock 1 of the 2's off the price, or preferably both, then its nice to get for the collections sake but otherwise prepare to have the same experience you had 10 years ago all over again, only this time it will cost you money!.
exactly my thoughts about that album
Sonic Destruction
Lord!!
Lord!!

"Throwaway faux-ambient"... Hmmmm. That is a little harsh. I think it is better than quite a bit of ambient stuff out there. Still, it's all down to taste.

Massed Gadgets, get them to play it on the shop sound system. Tell them, if they haven't got the guts to inflict it upon the customers, then they shouldn't be selling it in the first place.
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

Well, I haven't been back there yet as the store is on the other side of the city...I don't imagine it will disappear too soon though (it's probably been sitting there for 10 years!). I'm kind of hesitant though, considering the mixed reviews. If it were a little cheaper, maybe...

Got some excellent stuff today at Blackbyrd Myoozik, my favourite CD and record shop here in town, and it's only a couple of blocks away. So anyway, that's probably enough CD buying for me for the time being.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Massed Gadgets wrote: Got some excellent stuff today at Blackbyrd Myoozik, my favourite CD and record shop here in town, and it's only a couple of blocks away. So anyway, that's probably enough CD buying for me for the time being.
is Broken Chine among these :) ? what did you buy?
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

moom wrote:
Massed Gadgets wrote: Got some excellent stuff today at Blackbyrd Myoozik, my favourite CD and record shop here in town, and it's only a couple of blocks away. So anyway, that's probably enough CD buying for me for the time being.
is Broken Chine among these :) ? what did you buy?
No, Broken China was at another store. I got some cool, though not well known (by most) stuff...the new Kawabata Makoto album Hot Rattlesnakes, a double classic from Chrome which has all of Half Machine Lip Moves and Alien Soundtracks on it (which I found used, for $10), and a Krautrock inspired album by a new band called Cloudland Canyon. But no Rick, at least not yet!