Nick Mason's Drumming

Talk about other Floyd related musicians here.
cymbaline212
Hammer
Hammer

Nick Mason's Drumming

Post by cymbaline212 »

There's something about Nick Mason's drumming style that i just love. i can't explain why but when whenever i listen to Pink Floyd, especially PATGOD, i can't help but say, "damn that part seems so simple! i wanna learn drums just so i can play that!" Anyone else think that Nick's simple little drum parts rock and are vital to the pink floyd experience!?!
WishIwasthere
Hammer
Hammer

Post by WishIwasthere »

Nick always looks so relaxed while drumming. He seems to be at ease and that there's not too much effort involved, even though I'm sure there is.

I am a big fam of Nick's drumming, he makes it enjoyable to watch.
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by The Gunner's Dream »

What he does is perfect for the music but in terms of speed/technical abilities he's not that good. Still a perfectly good drummer :)
Sonic Destruction
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by Sonic Destruction »

The Gunner's Dream wrote:What he does is perfect for the music but in terms of speed/technical abilities he's not that good. Still a perfectly good drummer :)
I agree with both Gunner's statements.

Nick himself is very modest and self-effacing about his drumming talents. I think he is great for Pink Floyd, but I wish he would really cut loose like he did in the early days. I also hope that, if he ever does hit the road with PF again, he does all the drum parts, rather than hiring someone else to fill in the gaps (as on "The Wall" live, "Delicate Sound" and "Pulse"). He does not need any help.
lovescene4
Hammer
Hammer

Post by lovescene4 »

I like Nick's drumming style--it has finesse, and a kind of clean, balanced quality which suits PF. A lot of good drumming goes unnoticed, because it just fits in with the music. He's the only person to appear on every Pink Floyd album. [-D-]
kagee
Judge!
Judge!

Post by kagee »

The Gunner's Dream wrote:What he does is perfect for the music but in terms of speed/technical abilities he's not that good. Still a perfectly good drummer :)
I'd have to agree with you there Gunner.

He is good at what he does but he isn't the most technical drummer in the world.
Craig Marion
Blade
Blade

Post by Craig Marion »

Nick Mason plays behind the beat instead of on the beat...which alot of drummers consider the lazy approach. Is he a very technical drummer not at all is he solid yes.
Zarquon
Blade
Blade

Post by Zarquon »

Is he? Well that cant really be evaluated. Would Pink Floyds' later music sound that good with frilly fills? a la Neil Peart?

Also, in many of the later songs, especially Momentary Lapse of Reason, have a lot of electronic drum sounds on them, such as Learning to Fly and One Slip. It would be hard to put all that into one drum kit.

Also, many bands have used two drummers in the past, such as the Allman Brothers Band. It helps to create a bigger, fuller sound :)

And if I were Pink Floyd, I wouldnt mind a few extra musicians to help out! Playing music is demanding, and takes a lot of dexterity, espeicially if your tour is 3 years long :)
cymbaline212
Hammer
Hammer

Post by cymbaline212 »

i think alot of nick's drumming style comes from the fact, to my knowledge, that he taught himself how to play drums. I remember hearing that he and some friends started a band before any of them had any instruments yet so nick just naturally started banging on things for percussion. does anyone know anything else about this?
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by 2066 »

I love the way his kit sounds on the Pompeii version of Echoes. His drums sound really good on Piper too, come to think of it. Nice tight sounding kit. I'm not crazy about huge drum kits with a million pieces.
Narek
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Narek »

He's no Neil Peart but his performances on Time, ASOS, and OOTD are crazy.
cymbaline212
Hammer
Hammer

Post by cymbaline212 »

2066 wrote:I love the way his kit sounds on the Pompeii version of Echoes. His drums sound really good on Piper too, come to think of it. Nice tight sounding kit. I'm not crazy about huge drum kits with a million pieces.
yea i love his drumset so much, in the brighton dome footage he seems to be playing a different drum set, does anyone know when or why he scrapped his original drumset?
tomnamoon
Embryo
Embryo

Post by tomnamoon »

I think Nick is at his best on 'Paintbox' - an early use of the rototoms!
ironbaden
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ironbaden »

tomnamoon wrote:I think Nick is at his best on 'Paintbox' - an early use of the rototoms!
I agree..... ya know this tune is slowly becoming one of my favorite Tracks!! :D
HeckTo

Post by HeckTo »

Slowly BOM ZAP-BOBOMBOM ZAP-BOM ZAP-BOBOMBOM ZAP-BOM ZAP-BOBOMBOM ZAP

I call that "Nick's Special"