Nick Mason's Drumming

Talk about other Floyd related musicians here.
wiped
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by wiped »

I like the way his rolls and fills are almost "staggered" - if you know what I mean. His style is distinctive and I found when watching Waters or Gilmours solo tours that you really notice the absence of Nick - don't get me wrong Steve DiStanislao and Graham Broad are techinally great drummers - but they play the Floyd songs too ... academically if you get what I mean ....

... does any of that make sense :?
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by The Gunner's Dream »

I think Andy Newmark was just great when he toured with Roger in 1984.
The Ballad Of Pink Floyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by The Ballad Of Pink Floyd »

Nick has his onwn special style, he is one heck of a drummer, relaxed, and just a type of gentleman's drumming, he is the best for PF's music.
Shaped Sound
Axe
Axe

Post by Shaped Sound »

I especially like the sound when he plays with mallets instead of sticks.

Ronn
moodyblue
Hammer
Hammer

Post by moodyblue »

Narek wrote:and OOTD are crazy.
cymbaline212 wrote:especially PATGOD
I wish abbreviations to this extent were banned on here.
Exactly what songs are these ?
lovescene4
Hammer
Hammer

Post by lovescene4 »

moodyblue wrote:
Narek wrote:and OOTD are crazy.
cymbaline212 wrote:especially PATGOD
I wish abbreviations to this extent were banned on here.
Exactly what songs are these ?
'Piper At The Gates Of Dawn' and "One Of These Days..."

As a courtesy to those who might not decipher them, perhaps use abbreviations only if the full title has already appeared on the page...?
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

Would Nick be considered to be a better drummer than Ringo Starr?
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

snifferdog wrote:Would Nick be considered to be a better drummer than Ringo Starr?
Well....depends on what qualities YOU think make up a good drummer. And it really is ALL opinion for the most part on who the better drummer is.

However, in terms of consistency Ringo wins handsdown. Sadly, ol' Ringo can get pretty boring sometimes.

On the other hand, Nick has offered some interesting fills and different musical statements and themes for the drumset, while his time-keeping is generally rather loose.

Neither drummer is "great" in my opinion, but they are drummers, and that's always good :wink:
DavidBarrett
Axe
Axe

Post by DavidBarrett »

The Gunner's Dream wrote:
snifferdog wrote:Would Nick be considered to be a better drummer than Ringo Starr?
Well....depends on what qualities YOU think make up a good drummer. And it really is ALL opinion for the most part on who the better drummer is.

However, in terms of consistency Ringo wins handsdown. Sadly, ol' Ringo can get pretty boring sometimes.

On the other hand, Nick has offered some interesting fills and different musical statements and themes for the drumset, while his time-keeping is generally rather loose.

Neither drummer is "great" in my opinion, but they are drummers, and that's always good :wink:
Listen to the Beatle-song "A Day In The Life" from their 1967 release "Sgt. Pepper's Lonley Heart's Club Band".
This album was recorded in Abbey Road Studio 2 (or 1), while Pink Floyd was in studio 3 (or 2) recording "The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn".

The Beatles were very interested in what the Floyd did and used to visit them and see what they were working on in their studio.
Also, Pink Floyd obviously got inspired by the Beatles.

I think Paul McCartney was the beatle that was most influenced by Pink Floyd - especially Syd's guitar work, he used to see them live at the Roundhouse in late '66, I think.

But... listen to "A Day In The Life" and listen to the DRUMS!
He plays fill-ins on tom-toms with mallets... Ringo must've learned a thing or two from Mr. Mason! 8)

Sorry if my english wasn't good. :oops:
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

I bet Ringo couldn't drop his drumstick and pick up a replacement without missing a beat a la Nick in the Live at Pompeii concert :D
Narek
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Narek »

snifferdog wrote:I bet Ringo couldn't drop his drumstick and pick up a replacement without missing a beat a la Nick in the Live at Pompeii concert :D
He'd be too busy making sure his face looks like he has a piece of shit being held below his nose.
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Narek wrote: He'd be too busy making sure his face looks like he has a piece of shit being held below his nose.
Are you sure you're not talking about the moustache he had during the late 60's?

:lol:
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

Narek wrote:He'd be too busy making sure his face looks like he has a piece of shit being held below his nose.
Heh heh. You've hit the nail on the head re. Ringo's facial expressions
PFralst
Knife
Knife

Post by PFralst »

Agree with you all...

One example; on the very few occasion Nick is around on The Final Cut album he´s doing his very best performance.
Take a listen to how subtle he´s playing on the intro to Gilmour's guitarsolo in the song The Final Cut.
...would you send me packing or would you take me home... [-D-]
Ton Up Alvis
Blade
Blade

Post by Ton Up Alvis »

For ME what makes Pink Floyds atmospheric sound IS Nick's drums. Specifically, Nick's tendancy to use the ride cymbal as opposed to the high hat to keep the beat. NOT a lot of drummers do this!! Could you imagine anothe drummer using the sharp TSCHT! TSCHT! of the high hat in Us and Them?? It adds a floaty yet somehow sinister sound to FLoyd and helps creat the full rich sound.

I can tell Nick's drumming anytime, anywhere.
I find alot of drummers over do it. To many fills, TOO much high hat etc.
I can not imagine Classic Floyd with another drummer, it just would noty work (check out solo gigs and compare.)

Nick is a one of a kind drummer from the same class as Keith Moon, or Graeme Edge. I can totally appreciate drummers like Ian Paice , Neil Peart Bill Bruford and (early) Phil Collins!! Big fans all of these guys!! But it isn't always the technical part that is good. You also need to have a feel for the music!