Nick Mason's Drumming

Talk about other Floyd related musicians here.
gremlin1287
Embryo
Embryo

Post by gremlin1287 »

Pat Albertson wrote: I also hope that, if he ever does hit the road with PF again, he does all the drum parts, rather than hiring someone else to fill in the gaps (as on "The Wall" live, "Delicate Sound" and "Pulse"). He does not need any help.
As nice as that would be it if that were to happen then they would start to need to do some sampling because with the layering on songs (i.e. learning to fly) it would be next to impossible for one person to do both parts of that intro
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

gremlin1287 wrote:
Pat Albertson wrote: I also hope that, if he ever does hit the road with PF again, he does all the drum parts, rather than hiring someone else to fill in the gaps (as on "The Wall" live, "Delicate Sound" and "Pulse"). He does not need any help.
As nice as that would be it if that were to happen then they would start to need to do some sampling because with the layering on songs (i.e. learning to fly) it would be next to impossible for one person to do both parts of that intro
finally a good reason to dump that horrible song :lol:
gremlin1287
Embryo
Embryo

Post by gremlin1287 »

Yucateco wrote:
gremlin1287 wrote: As nice as that would be it if that were to happen then they would start to need to do some sampling because with the layering on songs (i.e. learning to fly) it would be next to impossible for one person to do both parts of that intro
finally a good reason to dump that horrible song :lol:

Its not just that song, its many songs. they could do it but the sound wouldn't be as full. The layering is also on songs like OTTA, Sorrow, even on Time
cymbaline212
Hammer
Hammer

Post by cymbaline212 »

gremlin1287 wrote:
Yucateco wrote: finally a good reason to dump that horrible song :lol:

Its not just that song, its many songs. they could do it but the sound wouldn't be as full. The layering is also on songs like OTTA, Sorrow, even on Time
that's ok, they can just stick to mostly 70s material :D
dale74
Axe
Axe

Re: Nick Mason's Drumming

Post by dale74 »

Nick Mason is one of the finest, natural and most relaxed drummers ever. He's still top notch, yet his best work was the early floyd days...Saucerful, Eugene, etc.

However I feel that he developed and matured as a drummer unlike some do, and his career can easily be divided into two parts...the more frenzied and instellar jazz stylings of the ealry floyd era...to the more spaced out and laid back percussion that holds everything so delicately together of the more recent floyd era.
Ton Up Alvis
Blade
Blade

Re:

Post by Ton Up Alvis »

gremlin1287 wrote:
Complete rubbish!!!!
I went to "All In All...It's A Pink Floyd Tribute" last month and they had ONE drummer. They did lDry Floyd standards like Learning to Fly, On The Turning Away etc and it sounded GREAT!!! One drummer, no sampler or pre-recorded stuff. The Dry Floyd actually sounded like it was being performed by the classic 4 piece 70's Floyd line up. I was astonished!!!

So yes, it is possible, and it should be done.....WITH ONE DRUMMER!!! Mason is more than capable of playing the drum parts for Pink Floyd I should think!

http://www.allinall.ca/

Well lookey here, that's ME front and center (green military cap, black jacket) talking to Robb Flannery the DRUMMER (left of me) I HAD to thank him for such a great show!! The whole band was just great with a meet and great after the concert. BRAVO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mymloch
Axe
Axe

Post by Mymloch »

I always really enjoyed Nick's drumming (especially the fills) on the Animals album. It's relaxed, but very driving, much like Roger's bass on the same album.
oz1701
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by oz1701 »

i have no problem with his drumming at all - he has maybe got a bit more laid back as he has got older is all
bpmolder
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by bpmolder »

oz1701 wrote:i have no problem with his drumming at all - he has maybe got a bit more laid back as he has got older is all
Here's the advantage of that, though, Oz: He has gotten a tad more laid back with age, but you know what? His style was still so laid back to begin with that today he could hit any lick from any PF song that he is playing on. Most drummers have to tone their styles down when they get older and slower, but Nick never had to tone down. He just kept the beat, put a groove into a song, that's it. That's all he had to do.

Listen to songs like Astronomy Domine, Time or A Saucerful Of Secrets (to name a few) and picture another drummer on those tracks. I would imagine that it would change the whole groove of each song.
oz1701
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by oz1701 »

bpmolder wrote:
oz1701 wrote:i have no problem with his drumming at all - he has maybe got a bit more laid back as he has got older is all
Here's the advantage of that, though, Oz: He has gotten a tad more laid back with age, but you know what? His style was still so laid back to begin with that today he could hit any lick from any PF song that he is playing on. Most drummers have to tone their styles down when they get older and slower, but Nick never had to tone down. He just kept the beat, put a groove into a song, that's it. That's all he had to do.

Listen to songs like Astronomy Domine, Time or A Saucerful Of Secrets (to name a few) and picture another drummer on those tracks. I would imagine that it would change the whole groove of each song.

i wasn't complaining BP. :)
bpmolder
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by bpmolder »

oz1701 wrote:i wasn't complaining BP. :)
I wasn't defending. Just sharing some things I have observed recently. He does have a wonderfully distinct style that is totally beside technical ability.
oz1701
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by oz1701 »

bpmolder wrote:
oz1701 wrote:i wasn't complaining BP. :)
I wasn't defending. Just sharing some things I have observed recently. He does have a wonderfully distinct style that is totally beside technical ability.
on the other hand he seems at times to be too relaxed :lol:
bpmolder
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by bpmolder »

oz1701 wrote:
bpmolder wrote: I wasn't defending. Just sharing some things I have observed recently. He does have a wonderfully distinct style that is totally beside technical ability.
on the other hand he seems at times to be too relaxed :lol:
Oh yeah, I agree with you. There were times when I wondered if he was going to fall off his stool and into a coma. It still pissed me off though when the local classic rock station DJ called him, "The laziest drummer in rock." :lol:
oz1701
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by oz1701 »

he does give that impression :lol:
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Re:

Post by Annoying Twit »

wiped wrote:I like the way his rolls and fills are almost "staggered" - if you know what I mean. His style is distinctive and I found when watching Waters or Gilmours solo tours that you really notice the absence of Nick - don't get me wrong Steve DiStanislao and Graham Broad are techinally great drummers - but they play the Floyd songs too ... academically if you get what I mean ....

... does any of that make sense :?

That makes perfect sense to me. We get people saying that other drummers could have played various drum parts better than Nick Mason, or Ringo Starr. But would they have come up with drum parts those drummers did. Or even if they did, would the music improve played with better timing and technique or would it just be sterile.

In my opinion there is nothing worse than musicians playing any instrument with obscene amounts of technique but no inspiration or personality. Give me a competent drummer with creativity any day of the week. Nick's work on Ummagumma is key for me. Very interesting and creative. In the full band tracks, he can't stretch himself that far, but that's the essence of what he is adding.