Worst Solo Album

Talk about other Floyd related musicians here.

Which one is the worst solo album

Roger waters: Music from the body
20%
Roger Waters: The pros and cons of Hitch hiking
7%
Roger Waters: Radio KAOS
9%
Roger Waters: Amused to death
6%
David Gilmour: David Gilmour
1%
David Gilmour: About Face
7%
David Gilmour: On an Island
4%
Richard Wright: Wet Dream
3%
Richard Wright: Broken China
3%
Richard Wright (Zee): Identity
23%
Nick Mason: Fictitious Sports
11%
Nick Mason (mason and Fenn) Profiles
6%

Total votes: 70

BeeJay
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Worst Solo Album

Post by BeeJay »

I would have preferred them had they been titled 'Dream About' and 'Wet Face'.
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

BeeJay wrote:I would have preferred them had they been titled 'Dream About' and 'Wet Face'.
Those will be in the new box-set featuring The Dark Side of the Wall, The Moon and Wish you were an animal.....
sjoerd
Embryo
Embryo

Post by sjoerd »

I haven't heard them all. But On an island was the biggest disappointment by far.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Personally i had very low expectations for On An Island so was actually quite pleasantly surprised
BeeJay
Hammer
Hammer

Post by BeeJay »

Songs & Sounds was nowhere near as good as Solopeople.
atottduke1
Embryo
Embryo

Post by atottduke1 »

oz1701 wrote:who the hell voted for fictitious sports!

i really liked fictitious sports - okay technically it was a Carla Bley album though - pity its out of print.

someone had the bad taste to break in to my house and steal it - i miss that album :(
Fictitious Sports was a great album. I got the CD in late 1994 and still have it and made a backup copy so I don't destroy the CD. Alhough Carla Bley wrote the tunes, some of the tracks did have a PF vibe to them ("I'm a Mineralist" and "Hot River" (the latter Nick called in 1981 "a Pink Floyd pastiche")) and was jazzy but has held up well. Profiles I didn't care for much as it is too 1980s for my blood and only had a few listenable gems (namely A Lie for a Lie). I did like Identity more than Profiles (Confusion, Voices, Cuts Like a Diamond and Seems We Were Dreaming are great tunes).

Worst solo albums:
Roger Waters - Radio KAOS (I hated Home and the 1980s production) and The Wall in Berlin
Nick Mason - Profiles

I love all three of Syd's albums, all three of David's albums and both of Rick's proper solo albums.
Beowulf
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Beowulf »

sjoerd wrote:I haven't heard them all. But On an island was the biggest disappointment by far.
I was disappointed with On An Island but only because my hopes/expectations were so high. I actually like most of it.

If I had to pick a weak solo studio album then it would be 'Identity', but that can't really be counted as a solo album any more than Nick's collaborations. If I include Rick Wright's two proper albums, David's three and Roger's three then I have to conclude that I like The 'Pros And Cons Of Hitchhiking' least so that may indeed be the worst (for me that is). I think Broken China is underrated though, and I do dislike 'Music From The Body'; can I pick that?

If we are including live offerings 'In The Flesh' is dreadful.
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

Beowulf wrote:If we are including live offerings 'In The Flesh' is dreadful.
Yep, the CD is mixed so awfully. The sound on the DVD is incredible, but the cd....
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Excluding Barrett's output, "Music From The Body" is actually my favorite Pink Floyd 'solo' album, so go figure :-k

I'm not kidding, it kind of reminds me of Frank Zappa circa 'Lumpy Gravy' with really moving folk songs inserted in between the crazier instrumental Atom Heart Mother-esque cool segments. And "Chain of Life" is one of the most beautiful songs Waters ever penned.

Cry, Baby, cry
Grow, Baby, grow
Stand on your own
Holidays and happy days at home
Seaside, bike ride, fun land, hot sand, childhood floating by
Wonder why I feel so shy when you are passing by...

The only song that I find quite disapointing is the cheesy and generic "Give Birth To A Smile".

...well I guess this is just no the kind of music for confortably numb type-of fans

8)
cinephile
Embryo
Embryo

Post by cinephile »

Radio Kaos -- the first solo album I owned and the least listened to. Although, to be fair, I've not even tried anything of Nick Mason's.

Congrats, Rick (and RIP): according to this poll Wet Dream is the least worst solo album.
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

cinephile wrote:Congrats, Rick (and RIP): according to this poll Wet Dream is the least worst solo album.
Wet Dream is an excellent album. I shall be giving it another long overdue listen this evening. 8)
Beowulf
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Beowulf »

Syd'sSexy wrote:
cinephile wrote:Congrats, Rick (and RIP): according to this poll Wet Dream is the least worst solo album.
Wet Dream is an excellent album. I shall be giving it another long overdue listen this evening. 8)
Yeah, I always liked it too. Mind you, at the time of its release eveyone else seemed to think I was daft too. However, I do like Amused To Death as well.
Last edited by Beowulf on Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AtomHeartMomma
Knife
Knife

Post by AtomHeartMomma »

I can't submit a vote on this because there are a few albums that I never heard of. I did give a brief listen to Roger's last album, whose name escapes me right now, about the French Revolution, and if that album was on the list, I would have voted for it.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

You mean "Ça Ira". But it's not an album, it's an opera. That's why it isn't listed.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

I wonder how many people here ever listened to it?