Worst Solo Album

Talk about Nick Mason, Richard Wright and other Floyd musicians here.

Which one is the worst solo album

Roger waters: Music from the body
14
20%
Roger Waters: The pros and cons of Hitch hiking
5
7%
Roger Waters: Radio KAOS
5
7%
Roger Waters: Amused to death
4
6%
David Gilmour: David Gilmour
1
1%
David Gilmour: About Face
5
7%
David Gilmour: On an Island
3
4%
Richard Wright: Wet Dream
2
3%
Richard Wright: Broken China
2
3%
Richard Wright (Zee): Identity
16
23%
Nick Mason: Fictitious Sports
8
12%
Nick Mason (mason and Fenn) Profiles
4
6%
 
Total votes: 69

User avatar
Beowulf
Judge!
Judge!
Posts: 2072
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:03 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Cheshire, England

Re: Worst Solo Album

Post by Beowulf »

snifferdog wrote:I wonder how many people here ever listened to it?
I did, but regreted it. I'm sure it might be rather 'worthy' but I could hear no redeeming features therein
User avatar
AtomHeartMomma
Knife
Knife
Posts: 378
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:19 am
Gender: Female
Location: Staten Island, NY USA

Re: Worst Solo Album

Post by AtomHeartMomma »

Hudini wrote:You mean "Ça Ira". But it's not an album, it's an opera. That's why it isn't listed.


Sorry about that.....but if it were an album, I would have voted for it.
User avatar
Beowulf
Judge!
Judge!
Posts: 2072
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:03 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Cheshire, England

Re: Worst Solo Album

Post by Beowulf »

AtomHeartMomma wrote:
Hudini wrote:You mean "Ça Ira". But it's not an album, it's an opera. That's why it isn't listed.


Sorry about that.....but if it were an album, I would have voted for it.
Yeah, what she said
User avatar
apocalypse
Knife
Knife
Posts: 483
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:24 am
Gender: Male
Location: Falling further down the rabbitt-hole

Re: Worst Solo Album

Post by apocalypse »

nosaj wrote: Nick Mason: Fictitious Sports
Can this even be called a Nick Mason album since he didn't write anything on it?
User avatar
Beowulf
Judge!
Judge!
Posts: 2072
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:03 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Cheshire, England

Re: Worst Solo Album

Post by Beowulf »

apocalypse wrote:
nosaj wrote: Nick Mason: Fictitious Sports
Can this even be called a Nick Mason album since he didn't write anything on it?
Er, in my opinion? NO
User avatar
apocalypse
Knife
Knife
Posts: 483
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:24 am
Gender: Male
Location: Falling further down the rabbitt-hole

Re: Worst Solo Album

Post by apocalypse »

Beowulf wrote:Er, in my opinion? NO
Bit of a red herring then. Nick seems to have had the least input to the creative process of the Floyd but it was Rick who got fired. I know Nick got some credits for sound collages but Roger has stated that it was given to him as some sort of gift?
User avatar
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Posts: 5787
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:53 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Rattle That Lock... Baby!

Re: Worst Solo Album

Post by Hudini »

Plus he cheated on "Ummagumma", bringing his wife in to improvise on flute.
User avatar
apocalypse
Knife
Knife
Posts: 483
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:24 am
Gender: Male
Location: Falling further down the rabbitt-hole

Re: Worst Solo Album

Post by apocalypse »

Hudini wrote:Plus he cheated on "Ummagumma", bringing his wife in to improvise on flute.
This i feel kind of is related to the Claire Torry issue. It was Nicks idea to have her improvise flute on the track therefore I think that it is totally his unless she helped writing any specific parts or structure. In the case of Torry I dont think she has any claim on the song, she was asked to improvise over a section of the track, she didn't compose the structure or progressions.
User avatar
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!
Posts: 2546
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:25 am
Location: Abya Yala

Re: Worst Solo Album

Post by danielcaux »

apocalypse wrote:This i feel kind of is related to the Claire Torry issue. It was Nicks idea to have her improvise flute on the track therefore I think that it is totally his unless she helped writing any specific parts or structure. In the case of Torry I dont think she has any claim on the song, she was asked to improvise over a section of the track, she didn't compose the structure or progressions.
But when you improvise something you are ipso facto coming with an original melodic line, therefore taking part in the composition of the whole work, and in the case of the "Grand Vizier's Garden Party New Dress 1 and 3", if I remember correctly, there isn't even a harmonic "structure" other than the one created by the notes the flute plays... :smt102
User avatar
apocalypse
Knife
Knife
Posts: 483
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:24 am
Gender: Male
Location: Falling further down the rabbitt-hole

Re: Worst Solo Album

Post by apocalypse »

danielcaux wrote: But when you improvise something you are ipso facto coming with an original melodic line, therefore taking part in the composition of the whole work, and in the case of the "Grand Vizier's Garden Party New Dress 1 and 3", if I remember correctly, there isn't even a harmonic "structure" other than the one created by the notes the flute plays... :smt102
Hmmm yes I see your point. Naughty naughty Nick! [-X
User avatar
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Posts: 5787
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:53 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Rattle That Lock... Baby!

Re: Worst Solo Album

Post by Hudini »

apocalypse wrote:It was Nicks idea to have her improvise flute on the track therefore I think that it is totally his unless she helped writing any specific parts or structure.
So what if he brought in someone who improvised a harmonic structure right on, in a way that fusion musicians do? Would it still be his credit?
User avatar
apocalypse
Knife
Knife
Posts: 483
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:24 am
Gender: Male
Location: Falling further down the rabbitt-hole

Re: Worst Solo Album

Post by apocalypse »

If they came up with the basis of the song or if they drastically changed what his basic idea was then they have co-written it.
User avatar
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Posts: 5787
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:53 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Rattle That Lock... Baby!

Re: Worst Solo Album

Post by Hudini »

But you are saying that improvisation is not the basis of the song, or that Nick Mason should have a composer's credit simply for having a basic idea? What Lindy Mason did on "Grand Visier's Garden Party" is improvise from null. Isn't that both coming up with a basic idea and a basis of the song?
User avatar
mandy35353535353
Knife
Knife
Posts: 278
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:57 pm
Gender: Female
Location: C-Bus, Uhioh

Re: Worst Solo Album

Post by mandy35353535353 »

I really dislike some of Rog's stuff. I don't even listen to that weird little... the name escapes me.. but it's awful.


On the subject of solo albums what Rick Wright solo cd would you recommend?
I've been wanting one for months but can't decide which!
helppppppp!
User avatar
apocalypse
Knife
Knife
Posts: 483
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:24 am
Gender: Male
Location: Falling further down the rabbitt-hole

Re: Worst Solo Album

Post by apocalypse »

Hudini wrote:But you are saying that improvisation is not the basis of the song, or that Nick Mason should have a composer's credit simply for having a basic idea? What Lindy Mason did on "Grand Visier's Garden Party" is improvise from null. Isn't that both coming up with a basic idea and a basis of the song?
I suppose you are right.