Did Rick record on ALL of Pink Floyd's albums?

Talk about other Floyd related musicians here.
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Re: Did Rick record on ALL of Pink Floyd's albums?

Post by Yucateco »

danielcaux wrote:Did Rick actually record anything on that two-men Floyd LP?
as far as i know he recorded a keyboard solo for On the turning away, but it was not used in the final record
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

danielcaux wrote:Did Rick actually record anything on that two-men Floyd LP?
Sorry, I just can't hold back, but

see the irony of the pic :lol: ?
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

J Ed wrote:Rick cashed a paycheck and made money
Sweet justice. 8)
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

I beleive old Rick's drug use got in the way of recording The Wall so Waters threatened to leave the band and take the album's demos with him, unless the others agreed to him being fired right? Supposedly he was after Nick next
Beowulf
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Beowulf »

Syd'sSexy wrote:
J Ed wrote:Rick cashed a paycheck and made money
Sweet justice. 8)
If only it had been as simple as that
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Apparently he was the only member (or ex-member at the time) of Pink Floyd that actually made money from The Wall tour, because he was paid along with the rest session musicians. The rest of the Floyd members were in debts after that tour, mainly because of Roger's megalomaniac concept of the shows.
fatoldbob
Judge!
Judge!

Post by fatoldbob »

Hudini wrote:Apparently he was the only member (or ex-member at the time) of Pink Floyd that actually made money from The Wall tour, because he was paid along with the rest session musicians. The rest of the Floyd members were in debts after that tour, mainly because of Roger's megalomaniac concept of the shows.
What's always confused me is how they lost money. The only thing I can figure is that they didn't know how much the expenses were going to be before the shows were scheduled. They only played about 15 shows, so they could have easily added another 10 and made some money.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

I have read somewhere that Roger knew from the start that they were going to lose money, but he nonetheless chose to go on with his live-concept thing as it ment a lot to him. I wonder if that was the same driving force behind the DSoT tour :lol:
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

fatoldbob wrote:
Hudini wrote:Apparently he was the only member (or ex-member at the time) of Pink Floyd that actually made money from The Wall tour, because he was paid along with the rest session musicians. The rest of the Floyd members were in debts after that tour, mainly because of Roger's megalomaniac concept of the shows.
What's always confused me is how they lost money. The only thing I can figure is that they didn't know how much the expenses were going to be before the shows were scheduled. They only played about 15 shows, so they could have easily added another 10 and made some money.
i guess the problem was that they played in smaller venues... the tickets just couldn´t pay all the cost to stage that show...
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

fatoldbob wrote:What's always confused me is how they lost money. The only thing I can figure is that they didn't know how much the expenses were going to be before the shows were scheduled. They only played about 15 shows, so they could have easily added another 10 and made some money.
I think that's pretty much it right there. Bear in mind that nothing like The Wall had ever been done before. They had to make almost everything from scratch, solving engineering problems as they went along.

When you don't really know what you're doing because no one's set an example to follow, it can get expensive.

As for adding another ten shows...if they added those ten shows at a venue where they'd already been playing it for a week, there's a very good chance that the "diminishing returns" thing might kick in.

Packing it up and taking it to another place for those ten shows would incure even more expense.

Apparently, it's incredibly lucky that what did happen happened at all.

*shrug*
Beowulf
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Beowulf »

mosespa wrote:Apparently, it's incredibly lucky that what did happen happened at all.
I am so grateful that I got to see one of them - was a highlight of an otherwise dull and pointless teenage existence
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

fatoldbob wrote:What's always confused me is how they lost money. The only thing I can figure is that they didn't know how much the expenses were going to be before the shows were scheduled. They only played about 15 shows, so they could have easily added another 10 and made some money.
No, because the inflatable dummies were disposable. Roger spoke about that in one of the recent interviews about the inflatables. They used new ones for each and every show and that's where their money went.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

fatoldbob wrote: They only played about 15 shows
was it not 35?
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

in the long run theyve made gazillions off the album sales, the film, and song royalties (for those who got writing credits)
but those concerts were undoubtedly very expensive, utilising so much equipment specially designed for these shows and these shows only
doing it as a theatrical run in 4 cities undoubtedly minimised costs, it wouldve been much more expensive to cart all that stuff from city to city and do all the configurations again for each new venue
I think they proved audiences were willing to travel halfway across the continent to see the show, but much potential audience still missed out - I met folks a few years older than I who made the trek from Toronto to see the show, but I as a 14 year old never could have done that, so thats a cost/benefit calculation - should they spend all the $$$ to put on a Toronto show so a few more 14 year olds can buy tickets?
Beowulf
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Beowulf »

Hudini wrote:
No, because the inflatable dummies were disposable. Roger spoke about that in one of the recent interviews about the inflatables. They used new ones for each and every show and that's where their money went.
Disposable, and yet the APFS have bought some and use them repeatedly in their shows!