How good a musician wa Nick Mason??

Talk about other Floyd related musicians here.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Re: How good a musician wa Nick Mason??

Post by moom »

On a Phil Collins forum I visited once, someone said PC would be a better drummer for Floyd than Nick. I really love nick, don't you think jamming with Phil for an album would be cool :) ?
gatherroundandhaggle
Embryo
Embryo

Post by gatherroundandhaggle »

I think it's not unusual in a band for the drummer, and indeed bassist, to be less well regarded, as they contribute rhythm, not the melody which is what tends to stick in the mind. With the probable exception of David, I don't think that any Pink Floyd member was an outstanding musician in their own right, but I do think they're an example of the whole exceeding the sum of its parts.

I also admire PF for reasons other than just their music - for example, their conception (perhaps) and development (certainly) of the 'concept album', and the showmanship of their live shows. Each member contributed to these aspects too.
oz1701
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by oz1701 »

when did he die? :shock:
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

oz1701 wrote:when did he die? :shock:
He had moved from David/rick's camp to Roger's camp, so there you have it :lol:
oz1701
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by oz1701 »

when did that happen - and why is it necessarily a bad thing?
mandraxhair
Blade
Blade

Post by mandraxhair »

oz1701 wrote:when did that happen - and why is it necessarily a bad thing?
cos roger wasnt good enough for daves island
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by moom »

oz1701 wrote:when did that happen - and why is it necessarily a bad thing?
I just had a laugh at the irony, I didn't mean it was a bad thing :lol:

And look, after P.U.L.S.E., David, Rick, and Nick only came together for one album's sessions, and later scrapped the idea. Around the same time (millenium) Nick got friends with Roger again and got invited to play in some songs on some of Rog's tour dates. I have not heard if Nick also played with Dave and Rick at any show but the Live 8 comeback.

So, the irony to laugh at is that since Nick got friends with Roger again, David and Richard probably thought he was a bad drummer :lol:
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

moom wrote:I have not heard if Nick also played with Dave and Rick at any show but the Live 8 comeback.

So, the irony to laugh at is that since Nick got friends with Roger again, David and Richard probably thought he was a bad drummer :lol:
Nick played with Gilmour and Wright during the 2006 On an Island tour at the Royal Albert Hall. Also he played with them at the Syd tribute, performing Arnold Layne.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by moom »

Yucateco wrote:
moom wrote:I have not heard if Nick also played with Dave and Rick at any show but the Live 8 comeback.

1. Nick played with Gilmour and Wright during the 2006 On an Island tour at the Royal Albert Hall.
2. Also he played with them at the Syd tribute, performing Arnold Layne.
1. :shock: he did? I'm relieved :D
2. oops, forgot :?
white summer

Post by white summer »

some of nick mason's drumming was cringeworthy and some of the better stuff probably wasnt even him at all!
Beowulf
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Beowulf »

white summer wrote:some of nick mason's drumming was cringeworthy
I am not a drummer, nor really a musician of any sort, but I listen to a lot of music and think I would spot "cringeworthy" drumming if/when I heard it. I wouldn't have put Nick Mason up there with the drumming greats ... but I think he was ok
white summer wrote:some of the better stuff probably wasnt even him at all!
Based on what evidence? It's a possibility I suppose, but I presume given your lack of regard for the two albums without Roger Waters, that you don't include any of that amongst "the better stuff". So which do you have in mind?
white summer

Post by white summer »

Beowulf wrote:
white summer wrote:some of nick mason's drumming was cringeworthy
I am not a drummer, nor really a musician of any sort, but I listen to a lot of music and think I would spot "cringeworthy" drumming if/when I heard it. I wouldn't have put Nick Mason up there with the drumming greats ... but I think he was ok
white summer wrote:some of the better stuff probably wasnt even him at all!
Based on what evidence? It's a possibility I suppose, but I presume given your lack of regard for the two albums without Roger Waters, that you don't include any of that amongst "the better stuff". So which do you have in mind?
I liken his style to *flickin a matchbox*
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

Maybe he's not the greatest drummer who ever lived but he's not the worst either. I for one am glad he was the drummer in Pink Floyd. His playing style worked perfectly with the sort of music they made.

And of course, he gave us the legendary loses drumstick but doesn't miss a beat moment 8)

white summer

Post by white summer »

snifferdog wrote:Maybe he's not the greatest drummer who ever lived but he's not the worst either. I for one am glad he was the drummer in Pink Floyd. His playing style worked perfectly with the sort of music they made.

And of course, he gave us the legendary loses drumstick but doesn't miss a beat moment 8)

yeah..that was worth millions!!
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

white summer wrote:some of nick mason's drumming was cringeworthy and some of the better stuff probably wasnt even him at all!
A true prog-head then. After all, John Bonham played the drums as if he has spades for hands. And dropped beats. And had about 3 different rhythms....