How good a musician wa Nick Mason??

Talk about other Floyd related musicians here.
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: How good a musician wa Nick Mason??

Post by PublicImage »

I want John Bonham's fan boys to listen to Billy Cobham, Jack DeJohnette and Tony Williams. Then they will discover the meaning of good drumming.

Robert Wyatt and Jon Theodore are also notable.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

PublicImage wrote:I want John Bonham's fan boys to listen to Billy Cobham, Jack DeJohnette and Tony Williams. Then they will discover the meaning of good drumming.

Robert Wyatt and Jon Theodore are also notable.
Or Jaki Liebezeit, cos he never evr ever EVER strayed from he tempo. Ever. He would rather attack his bandmates with an axe than settle the fuck down and let himself drop a beat.

Top marks for Cobham... there might have been cocaine involved, but that guy was like an octopus behind the drums.
Idisaffect
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Idisaffect »

What do you think of that first Lifetime album? Tony W. on vocals!

You guys might consider checking out Charles Earlands' Happy 'cuz I'm going home (from the LP Intensity). Billy Cobham on drums and Lee Morgan playing his last session before he was shot to death by a crazed girlfriend. His trumpet on this tune is aiming in a whole new direction. Cobham is totally in the pocket. This is not jazz. It's just awesome. 11 + minutes.
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

It's been too long since I heard it. I don't even remember exactly what it sounds like, but I listen to his work with Miles quite often. I need to check it out again, because the McLaughlin/Young combo was always great ('Devotion' by John McLaughlin is an overlooked classic).

I love what I've heard by Lee Morgan, so I'll definitely listen to that. Totem Pole from the Sidewinder LP is one of the jazz highlights of the 1960s for me.
white summer

Post by white summer »

ha ha ! watch achilles last stand knebworth 79 mesmerizical!!!
no drummer can match him - end of story!
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

white summer wrote:ha ha ! watch achilles last stand knebworth 79 mesmerizical!!!
Bwahahahahahahahahaha.
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

white summer wrote:ha ha ! watch achilles last stand knebworth 79 mesmerizical!!!
LOL!!!!!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ujcYw2QTPzM

Every musician in this group is leagues ahead of any Led Zeppelin member. Good luck finding somebody who will listen to this, objectively compare it to Achilles Last Stand and honestly claim that the Led Zeppelin performance has a higher (or equal) standard of musicianship! Jazz is far more complex than rock music, and I'd say that the vast majority of people who listen to fusion would agree that Cobham is in a class of his own. There is no way Bonham could keep up with McLaughlin, Goodman and Hammer's frequently shifting rhythmic patterns if his work with LZ is what he should be judged upon.

He was decent for a rock drummer, but he would be out of his depths with a group like Mahavishnu Orchestra. Billy Cobham's control over his tempo and dynamics is just flawless. I've never heard him miss a beat, which is incredible if you look through any Mahavishnu Orchestra manuscript and see how many changes they tend to go through in one piece and the amount of improvisation they demand from the performers.
white summer

Post by white summer »

PublicImage wrote:
LOL!!!!!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ujcYw2QTPzM

Every musician in this group is leagues ahead of any Led Zeppelin member. Good luck finding somebody who will listen to this, objectively compare it to Achilles Last Stand and honestly claim that the Led Zeppelin performance has a higher (or equal) standard of musicianship! Jazz is far more complex than rock music, and I'd say that the vast majority of people who listen to fusion would agree that Cobham is in a class of his own. There is no way Bonham could keep up with McLaughlin, Goodman and Hammer's frequently shifting rhythmic patterns if his work with LZ is what he should be judged upon.

He was decent for a rock drummer, but he would be out of his depths with a group like Mahavishnu Orchestra. Billy Cobham's control over his tempo and dynamics is just flawless. I've never heard him miss a beat, which is incredible if you look through any Mahavishnu Orchestra manuscript and see how many changes they tend to go through in one piece and the amount of improvisation they demand from the performers.
I agree 8)
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

Which do you agree with, they seem contradictory to me.
white summer

Post by white summer »

Stephen wrote:Which do you agree with, they seem contradictory to me.
not sure ... didn't read it <S>
save to say nick mason was a terrible drummer... and thats that really!
this is a floyd forum so we discuss floyd musicians.
apart from john bonham who i mentioned earlier
Duckboy
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Duckboy »

white summer wrote:
Stephen wrote:Which do you agree with, they seem contradictory to me.
not sure ... didn't read it <S>
save to say nick mason was a terrible drummer... and thats that really!
this is a floyd forum so we discuss floyd musicians.
apart from john bonham who i mentioned earlier
but he wasnt terrible he was sufficient terrible would be unable to play in time he was able to do that
white summer

Post by white summer »

...and sadly brought nothing to the table
Duckboy
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Duckboy »

that makes him a bad writer :lol: and how many drummers write then songs for there band, i would guess not many
white summer

Post by white summer »

Duckboy wrote:that makes him a bad writer :lol: and how many drummers write then songs for there band, i would guess not many
lots actually

phil collins
neil peart
dave grohl
cozy powell

this list goes on but i cant be bothered
white summer

Post by white summer »

it's a well known fact that nick mason got sacked on Wish you were Here !
They actually got neil sedaka's drummer in to finish the album
cant remember his name - jim something or other.