Which Keyboard Rick used for the Melody of Shine on Pt. IX?

Talk about other Floyd related musicians here.
LittleEchoesGhostie
Axe
Axe

Which Keyboard Rick used for the Melody of Shine on Pt. IX?

Post by LittleEchoesGhostie »

Is it a moog? Or a 70 early digital one?? Anyone here knows? It reappears on "Wearing the inside out" and I think it's the same Jean Michel Jarre used in Oxygene. It reminds me a tiny bit on a trumpet (but not that srill, normally I dislike trumpets but it sounds like a mystic little ghostie trumpet...;-) )

I would be very happy if anyone could tell me, I'm wondering about this for years...

and btw...to you know by chance which sound was the "Turkish Delight"?
mosespa

Re: Which Keyboard Rick used for the Melody of Shine on Pt. IX?

Post by mosespa »

"Turkish Delight" was a reference to a scale (or perhaps a particular "lick") that Rick used to play in pretty much every solo the took at the time.

Although at the time, he was playing his Farfisa organ (THAT sounds mildly perverse, lol...)

For the solo in Shine On Part IX, I'd say he was using the Moog...although I was able to approximate the sound (on "Stars" from Double Core) by using the "French Horn" setting on my Yamaha PRS-270.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Rick was using a moog or two as lead instruments by this point. I think he also had some ARP gear... "oddesy" or "String ensemble" ring a bell, but you know how wires cross...
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

I believe he used a Minimoog, ARP Solina and a Hammond on "Shine On". And I don't think it's the same sound as in "Wearing The Inside Out".

As for "Turkish Delight", as Moss said it was a reference to a scale Rick used to play frequently in the early days of Pink Floyd. It was named after a chocolate bar and I believe that it was Peter Jenner who came up with this nickname. The best examples of "Turkish Delight" solos are the ones in "Matilda Mother" and the beginning of "Careful With That Axe, Eugene".
LittleEchoesGhostie
Axe
Axe

Post by LittleEchoesGhostie »

Ah, thanx, that brings some light in. :)