Nick's drum sticks used on "Time" llive

Talk about other Floyd related musicians here.
evenbar
Embryo
Embryo

Nick's drum sticks used on "Time" llive

Post by evenbar »

Does anyone know the name and manufacturer of the drum sticks Nick used on "Time" during the AMLOR tour? They may be defined as illuminated, glow-in-the-dark, or possibly electronic drum sticks.
Thanks in advance,
evenbar
mosespa

Re: Nick's drum sticks used on "Time" llive

Post by mosespa »

evenbar
Embryo
Embryo

Post by evenbar »

Thanks mosespa,
I just re-watched the Delicte Sound Of Thunder Video and the PowerStix illuminated drumsticks certainly look like the style of the ones Nick used. The description at the PowerStix website on how they operate wasn't 100% clear, but left the impression that you have to interchange color modules per colr desired. In that case, they only display one color while playing, but Nick's changed colors as he played.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Yeah...he's got access to more money than yer average drummer, though. :lol:

I can't be certain, but I seem to recall someone once commenting (not on this forum,) that Nick's sticks had cables attached to them or something.

Maybe that's how the color change happened?
evenbar
Embryo
Embryo

Post by evenbar »

When I seen them perform in Sep & Nov 1987 I thought they had cables too (hey it's only been 21-1/2 years). Maybe they were fiber optic cables and the drum technician or a lighting crew member performed the color changes and on/off state. Either that or the colors changed in response to the frequency response of each struck roto tom. However they stopped glowing when he switched to the regular drum set for the rest of the song, so that's probably not right either. I'm also kind of surprised that they weren't mentioned in his book or just by Googling "Nick Mason, Time, drumsticks."
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

you could look for some decent scans of the 87-89 and 94 tourbooks. The equipment of Mason and Wallis (he used those drumsticks during Yet another Movie too) is listed there. Maybe you can find some info there
evenbar
Embryo
Embryo

Post by evenbar »

I have the tourbook from the 1987 tour (See my post on the Tour Personnel in the Pink Floyd General Forum), but neither Nick's nor Gary's equipment list specify anything about the drumsticks. However, I found in Nick's book, Inside Out, on page 312 a comment from Nick on the photo from the previous page.
On the Division Bell tour, using the roto-toms and light sticks. The latter utilized fibre-optic cables attached to the drumsticks, giving a fantastic effect. However, they were difficult to use because the cables felt like hosepipes coming out of the end of the sticks.
Too bad he didn't mention the manufacturer or name brand was.
ddebil
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by ddebil »

Try emailing him and asking. :D
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

mosespa wrote:I can't be certain, but I seem to recall someone once commenting (not on this forum,) that Nick's sticks had cables attached to them or something.
Yeah, I do believe they had cables. Those sticks were pretty cool to watch...trails, you know. 8-[