Magritte

Talk about other Floyd related musicians here.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Magritte

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

Have you seen this film? It is a 1978 European documentary film on the life of surrealist Rene Magritte. It features some music by Roger Waters. I wonder what the music he wrote for the film sounds like...
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

BTW, it was written and directed by Adrian Maben, who also directed Live at Pompeii...

For more information on the film: http://us.imdb.com/Title?0298046
quicksilver
Hammer
Hammer

Post by quicksilver »

Real Pink in the Inside wrote:BTW, it was written and directed by Adrian Maben, who also directed Live at Pompeii...

For more information on the film: http://us.imdb.com/Title?0298046
I have never heard of this film although I'm familiar with Magritte as a painter. I cannot find any information regarding it other than from the link you provided. The music is credited to both Bela Bartok and Roger Waters. Bartok died in 1945 so any music that he'd written was obviously around for awhile so it kind of peaks my curiosity as to what Roger input was. The sound track is described as "atmosheric" which would make make sense.

The movie was made in 1978 so it would have been during the beginning of the Wall sessions. Maybe they used some old material from "The Body" or something.
Hogtown
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Re: Magritte

Post by Hogtown »

Wasn't it a BBC production for television...I would love to see it. I have copies of some tunes on a cd somewhere (maybe a treeful of secrets?).

Anybody see this?
CatherineMa14
Hammer
Hammer

Post by CatherineMa14 »

I saw it..as I will admit to a love affair with surrealism. I thought the music was great..didn't know that it was by him!
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

If it was written by Bartok in the first place, maybe he just did a cover? Or did he actually add anything, Cathy?
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Perhaps they just took some bits of STCFTHOTS or CWTAE or other previously released Roger Waters song and inserted them here and there on the film?
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

I've heard the soundtrack to it. I remember Obscured by Clouds being on there, along with stuff that sounded a lot like the music Roger is playing on the Synth in the Pompeii movie. Another track sounded a lot like the drumming drone intro to Pompeii that is like a prototype of Speak to Me. I don't think there was any real music there, certainly no unheard Floyd, a lot of synth drones and ambience and Obscured by Clouds.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Is this the documentary?

It doesn't look like it was made in 1978 right?
justabagofatoms
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by justabagofatoms »

I think that the Public Image enjoys Magritte, if I recall. Perhaps this will lure him out.