Volume 2 - File Format

Discuss Pink Floyd tribute acts including NPF projects too!

What format should the lossless audio be traded in?

SHN
52%
FLAC
43%
Other
No votes
Dont't Know
4%

Total votes: 23

Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Volume 2 - File Format

Post by Keith Jordan »

So, we decided to go with SHN last time as it was generally thought that this was the standard that everyone knew. Is this still the case or has FLAC become more prominent?

What format should the lossless audio be traded in?
Last edited by Keith Jordan on Tue May 23, 2006 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
fat_old_sun
Tracker Mod
Tracker Mod

Post by fat_old_sun »

its been proven with alot of flac releases coming out that people have been getting fucking lazy with the format. some create the fingerprints and dont even bother to add a .ffp to the end of the file extention... it takes 2 seconds, but its so damn lazy, and then others dont even give the fingerprints at all, no md5, not a damn thing except flacs. its so damn stupid and lazy and completely wastes my time by having to put the files into flacfrontend, testing the files then if they check ok i make an MD5 for my own use and if i trade that particular roio then i notify the person of my md5.

Flac has brought lazyness to trading societies, feel free to contend that but i'll kick ur ass everytime with proof. is it really that fucking hard to right click on ur folder and press the "make an md5" option?!?!? even if i was downloading a folder of mp3's (god forbid), i'd still expect an md5 to be included.

which brings me to my next point, shn are not accepted in communities if they are not accompanied by an md5... so to reduce the chances of false circulation of this i say SHN. so its a few more megabytes... big fucking whoop! theres not much difference between 360mb and 390mb!

SHN ALL THE WAY!!!
moonwall
Tracker Mod
Tracker Mod

Post by moonwall »

I have to comment this:
fat_old_sun, I'm not lazy, I'm not stupid,
just recently I learned about this md5's.
I would appriciate if you teach us, but in a
nicer tone and language.
(My very old bootlegs hasn't got any md5 :) )
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I think SHN. An, as Stu has finished the discs now, I think we should just go with SHN! Safe and reliable. Only takes half an hour extra to download.
micksoul
Embryo
Embryo

SHN! SHN! SHN!

Post by micksoul »

I think I agree with someone its time to get the cds! I`m not really familiarized not with shn nor with flac or whatever it is... but if somebody could teach me how to work with some of this little guys, I will be so happy have the tribute cds at all!. Please let the cds view the sun light! :D
carefule eugene
Knife
Knife

Post by carefule eugene »

fat_old_sun wrote: Flac has brought lazyness to trading societies, feel free to contend that but i'll kick ur ass everytime with proof. is it really that fucking hard to right click on ur folder and press the "make an md5" option?!?!? even if i was downloading a folder of mp3's (god forbid), i'd still expect an md5 to be included.
I have to comment this:
I'm very sorry that I never understand that md5-stuff: I really don't know what I have to do with it. :oops:
You really don't have to blame people that they are lazy when nobody explains in easy language what to do with it. :evil:
Floydian Slip
Axe
Axe

Post by Floydian Slip »

Does everyone hate mp3's?

I loved the first set of CD's but my only complaint was the time taken to download them (although this was probably due to my unfamiliarity with BitTorrent and the fact I was quite late...)

I know mp3 isn't lossless, but I don't really mind as I listen to most of my stuff on the move anyway and the background noise is more annoying.

Would it be possible to have two sets to download? Or would that take up too much space on the site?
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Releasing unto the world as MP3 is wrong!! :lol: If you trade for the audio CDs and then put on your iPod for example, that is great. But we wont be distributing as MP3 as we have all worked hard on this project and would like to preserve the quality.
porygonlivesagain
Embryo
Embryo

Post by porygonlivesagain »

Missed this thread previously.

My vote is for FLAC:

http://flac.sourceforge.net/

1. Lossless like SHN.
2. More active community support than SHN.
3. Compresses better than SHN.
4. Some hardware playback. (SHN unlikely due to licensing).
5. Streamable and editable unlike SHN.
6. Open-source licensed GPL/BSD unlike SHN.

Well that's what I reckon anyway.