Linux users link to SHN util - and thx.

Discuss Pink Floyd tribute acts including NPF projects too!
porygonlivesagain
Embryo
Embryo

Linux users link to SHN util - and thx.

Post by porygonlivesagain »

Link to the shorten utils page: http://www.etree.org/shnutils/shorten/ which you'll need to de-compress the SHN files.

As an aside the SHN format seems to be waning in popularity to other more open, supported and more efficient lossless formats eg. FLAC. Here's a link to some comparisons: http://flac.sourceforge.net/comparison.html

Might be worth considering using an OSS freely licenced format for future discs as this seems to sit better with the contributory nature of the NPF Tribute CD's. Just a thought.

Downloaded, seeded, and listening. Thanks Keith and all. :)
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

Cant you just run Foobar2000 on a WinXP emulation?
porygonlivesagain
Embryo
Embryo

HI there.

Yep I think you could run quite a few Mickysoft progs under wine emulation but I prefer native ones really. The SHN converter works ok to convert back to WAVs which is what I needed to create audio discs. FLAC is much better supported under Linux being open source 'free as a bird' licensed.

The foobar2000 player/converter is (c) and contains that horrid phrase 'All Rights Reserved' so I'm not sure whether this would be allowed anyway unless you wade through their license page. It's not the biggest license I've seen but life is too short and I'd prefer to listen to the music instead. I'm on cd2 now and great so far :)
porygonlivesagain
Embryo
Embryo

just had to convert the shn files to mp3 for my phone. here's a quick script to convert from shn to wav then from wav to mp3. will need 'shorten' for part1 and 'lame' for part2. will also need 'gcc' and 'build-essential' to build lame.

lame has copyright issues as mp3 is a proprietary format so seems to have been removed from the main debian repositories but can still be downloaded and built from various sources including: "http://packages.ubuntu.com/breezy/sound/lame" (if you're building this on ubuntu like I did):

1) download the shorten binary from the previous link
2) download the 'lame_3.96.1.orig.tar.gz' file
3) extract and cd to the lame folder
4) follow the INSTALL instructions (./configure + make + make install)
5) cd to the shn folder
6) run the script below

-------------------------

for i in *.shn; do
shorten -x "$i"
done

lame -h NPFT-V2-d1t01.wav NPFT-V2-d1t01.mp3
lame -h NPFT-V2-d1t02.wav NPFT-V2-d1t02.mp3
lame -h NPFT-V2-d1t03.wav NPFT-V2-d1t03.mp3
lame -h NPFT-V2-d1t04.wav NPFT-V2-d1t04.mp3
lame -h NPFT-V2-d1t05.wav NPFT-V2-d1t05.mp3
lame -h NPFT-V2-d1t06.wav NPFT-V2-d1t06.mp3
lame -h NPFT-V2-d1t07.wav NPFT-V2-d1t07.mp3
lame -h NPFT-V2-d1t08.wav NPFT-V2-d1t08.mp3
lame -h NPFT-V2-d1t09.wav NPFT-V2-d1t09.mp3
lame -h NPFT-V2-d1t10.wav NPFT-V2-d1t10.mp3
lame -h NPFT-V2-d1t11.wav NPFT-V2-d1t11.mp3
lame -h NPFT-V2-d1t12.wav NPFT-V2-d1t12.mp3
lame -h NPFT-V2-d1t13.wav NPFT-V2-d1t13.mp3
lame -h NPFT-V2-d1t14.wav NPFT-V2-d1t14.mp3
lame -h NPFT-V2-d1t15.wav NPFT-V2-d1t15.mp3
lame -h NPFT-V2-d1t16.wav NPFT-V2-d1t16.mp3

good luck and thanks all, the music's great.

:)
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

jambo wrote:Cant you just run Foobar2000 on a WinXP emulation?
Why send your computer back to the ice age?
porygonlivesagain
Embryo
Embryo

"so you think you can tell heaven from hell"

a) kick back - be part of a movement which says no to the corporate greed that's ruining our world.

b) ethical design - an os designed by enthusiasts rather than a bunch of twisted sales managers.

c) choice - of thousands of software packages (18000+ just checked in adept), pre-built, maintained, and free-as-a-bird, which I can install and use (and modify) whenever I choose and can trust they don't install anything dodgy on my pc.

d) secure - linux doesn't have a virus checker (apart from say avg which checks for infected Windows files). wonder why?

e) no lock-in - by corporations that try to lock you in to their products via drm, patent litigation, proprietary formats, etc.. and charge you lots of cash for the privilege. the riaa, fast, hollywood, are not my heroes. why is it illegal to play dvds I've paid good money for on my linux pc?

some links:

http://www.fsf.org/
http://defectivebydesign.org/
http://bluraysucks.com/
Stween
Axe
Axe

Post by Stween »

porygonlivesagain wrote:b) ethical design - an os designed by enthusiasts rather than a bunch of twisted sales managers.
I would probably take issue with that. Not as a Microsoft user (because I'm not, given that I've been running flavours of linux and freebsd for 7 years), but as one who knows Microsoft employees. Windows isn't designed by a bunch of twisted sales managers.
d) secure - linux doesn't have a virus checker (apart from say avg which checks for infected Windows files). wonder why?
It's not that viruses don't exist, it's just that there aren't many of them. Fill a million offices with Linux machines, and there might be more people abusing the flaws that haven't yet been fixed in Joe User's machine.

I just installed opensuse. Ironically, it's probably the most desktop-ready (ie: windows-like) distro I've ever tried. Much moreso than Ubuntu. I'm still not convinved about going back to an RPM system, but I'll see how it goes... Unfortunately, it wasn't very helpful when it blocked bittorrent and didn't tell me it had done so.