Hello

Discuss Pink Floyd tribute acts including NPF projects too!
SurrogateJoe
Blade
Blade

Hello

Post by SurrogateJoe »

Hi

Discussion removed by me, no need for fights and fisticuffs

Joe
Last edited by SurrogateJoe on Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
W1P
Blade
Blade

Post by W1P »

Like I said, I completely agree that this post belongs here. Some, however, would move this on the grounds that it "has nothing to do" with NPF tribute projects. They'd be wrong, but they'd move it :lol:

Raise your hand if you think Pink Floyd tribute bands are Pink Floyd-related :idea:
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

The Pink Floyd forum is about the band Pink Floyd. Not cover bands.
W1P
Blade
Blade

Post by W1P »

Yes that's right. When I go looking for information on Pink Floyd tribute bands, I naturally would look under "General Music Discussion" or "NPF Tribute Projects" :P

(FYI, the proper terminology is "tribute band" not "cover band" A "cover band" is what you hear at weddings or the local Holiday Inn playing a variety of songs by multiple artists. A tribute band is devoted to one particular artist.)
Last edited by W1P on Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

If I covered the album Wish You Were Here and released it under my own name with me performing it, and you thought it good enough to actually go to a music shop/store to buy it, and I released it under my name Keith Jordan, would you look for it in the Pink Floyd section or the Keith Jordan section?

:wink:

I don't mind you raising an issue with me not letting you advertise your band in the Pink Floyd section but could you stop it, already? :D
W1P
Blade
Blade

Post by W1P »

Keith Jordan wrote:If I covered the album Wish You Were Here and released it under my own name with me performing it, and you thought it good enough to actually go to a music shop/store to buy it, and I released it under my name Keith Jordan, would you look for it in the Pink Floyd section or the Keith Jordan section?

:wink:
I would go to the Pink Floyd section because that's where all tribute albums are placed at record stores here in the US -- because logic prevails among our record merchants :twisted:

If you set a policy against "advertising" a tribute band (one that would be short sighted and a disservice to your subscribers), that's one thing (and one that I would abide by even as I disagree with it). But an illogical policy forcing posts relating to Floyd tribute bands to the "General Music Discussion" adversely impacts your subscribers who are not members of tribute bands but who may want to discuss a tribute band with others on the forum because no one interested in discussing tribute bands is going to look for such a discussion in "General Music Discussion"

Other fora have solved this problem by creating a section entiteld "tribute bands" -- at least that has a logical title relating to the content. But far be it from me to make a logical suggestion because God knows I'm only here for purposes of advertising my tribute band :roll:
Last edited by W1P on Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

W1P wrote:I would go to the Pink Floyd section because that's where all tribute albums are placed at record stores here in the US -- because logic prevails among our record merchants :twisted:
It must be a cultural thing then. In the record shops/stores I go to here in England, the CDs are sorted into genres and then listed alphabetically by artist name. So Keith Jordan would not be placed in the Pink Floyd divide.
W1P
Blade
Blade

Post by W1P »

Keith Jordan wrote:
W1P wrote:I would go to the Pink Floyd section because that's where all tribute albums are placed at record stores here in the US -- because logic prevails among our record merchants :twisted:
It must be a cultural thing then. In the record shops/stores I go to here in England, the CDs are sorted into genres and then listed alphabetically by artist name. So Keith Jordan would not be placed in the Pink Floyd divide.
It must be. Our records are organized in precisely the same way except that as a customer service our shops place tribute records in the divides devoted to the artist being paid tribute to -- that way the fans who are likely to have the most interest in a given tribute project are more likely to learn of its existence.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Mmmm. I've not seen that before. Seems like a good idea though. But still, the Pink Floyd forum is about the band Pink Floyd and discussing aspects about them. It's not a free classifieds section to advertise tribute bands.

:)
W1P
Blade
Blade

Post by W1P »

Keith Jordan wrote:Mmmm. I've not seen that before. Seems like a good idea though. But still, the Pink Floyd forum is about the band Pink Floyd and discussing aspects about them. It's not a free classifieds section to advertise tribute bands.

:)

If you set a policy against "advertising" a tribute band (one that would be short sighted and a disservice to your subscribers), that's one thing (and one that I would abide by even as I disagree with it). But an illogical policy forcing posts relating to Floyd tribute bands to the "General Music Discussion" adversely impacts your subscribers who are not members of tribute bands but who may want to discuss a tribute band with others on the forum because no one interested in discussing tribute bands is going to look for such a discussion in "General Music Discussion"

Other fora have solved this problem by creating a section entiteld "tribute bands" -- at least that has a logical title relating to the content. But far be it from me to make a logical suggestion because God knows I'm only here for purposes of advertising my tribute band (to the 4 people on this board who are from Los Angeles)

(and of course, does this mean that "general music discussion" and "NPF Tribute Projects" is a "free classifieds" section for tribute bands?
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I haven't really got anything else to say on the matter other than the Pink Floyd forum is for discussions related to the band Pink Floyd. A Pink Floyd tribute band is not Pink Floyd so doesn't belong in there. The only reason you want it to be in there is because you believe your free advertising would be more effective. Am I completely wrong?
W1P
Blade
Blade

Post by W1P »

Keith Jordan wrote:I haven't really got anything else to say on the matter other than the Pink Floyd forum is for discussions related to the band Pink Floyd. A Pink Floyd tribute band is not Pink Floyd so doesn't belong in there. The only reason you want it to be in there is because you believe your free advertising would be more effective. Am I completely wrong?
You are completely off base. As a Pink Floyd fan and a fan of Pink Floyd tribute bands (and not just my own -- for example, I have promoted the Aussie Floyd shows in North America by posting their info in numerous music and Floyd sites), I enjoy discussions with other Pink Floyd/Pink Floyd tribute bands about these various bands. Your NPF forum has many "dual" fans but the chances of any discussion with them on your forum are extremely remote because they will not see such discussion threads in the General Music and/or NPF Tribute threads.

On the "advertising" front, there aren't more than 5 people on NPF from LA (and they are already on my email list) so there is absolutely no material increase in the "effectiveness" of my "advertising" by allowing such in a "Pink Floyd" thread.

I do appreciate the fact that you are discussing this issue but I think you have a drastically incorrect impression of my motives in participating in this forum. For example, when I posted that I was attending 3 Roger Waters shows and two of my own in an 8 day period, you wrongly concluded that it was veiled "advertising" and, therefore, had "nothing to do with Roger Waters" What it was -- no more and no less -- was letting folks know that I was going to 3 Roger Waters shows and 2 W1P shows in a 8 eight day period.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Well, my ultimate view is that I want this forum to be as enjoyable as possible for the majority of the people that visit it. Putting free classified ads in the Pink Floyd forum does not fit with that ultimate view in my opinion. There are different policies at different websites.
bald_fat_bloke
Axe
Axe

Post by bald_fat_bloke »

Oops, I'm probably not gonna be in the most effective cerebral state here as I'm still getting over a v. late get out show last night (in front of HRH Diana princess of Wales deceased's Big Bro don'cha know!) playing drum kit in a Non-Floyd combo & looking forward to a 2 show schedule, Friday & Saturday night, playing for BREATHE (http://www.breathefloyd.co.uk) so my mind is racing AND YES!! I got a plug in for it BECAUSE I TAKE IT ALL VERY SERIOUSLY! AND I DO THIS AS WELL AS RUNNING A BUSINESS.... rant rant burble burble..... omigod.... too pythonesque...

Anyhoo - I'll sidle up to the point of my post...... If any single person has spent time & energy devoted to bringing a whole lot of Floyd Fans together they deserve mucho kudos - I don't post much; as per the stats but I enjoy the content. If they then believe that they can control what happens? Delusional!

Xx Dave Gee

o yeah - http://www.breathefloyd.co.uk !!!

Believe me, the majority of PF Tribute Acts do it for love; the investment is way too high to achieve credibility AND acheive significant profits in the short term! The numbers just don't stack up in the UK.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Your efforts, love of the Floyd and ability to bring fans together to play excellent music is admirable. But it still wont be posted in the Pink Floyd forum as it is not about the band Pink Floyd.

I think the majority of people read most of the posts outside of the fun and games forum (and perhaps not everyone the RoIO stuff) so I dont think a tribute act posting their advertising to bring together Floydians to watch your excellent shows in the NPF Tribute forum or the general music forum is a bad thing. It is also not disrespectful to the effort you put into your bands.

It's just not about the band Pink Floyd.