Right...Back To Square One, Anyone?

Discuss Pink Floyd tribute acts including NPF projects too!
cwta eugene
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Right...Back To Square One, Anyone?

Post by cwta eugene »

To add to what Vera Lynn and Massed Gadgets wrote- I think it's a great idea, plus more people will be able to get involved this way. It would be like a fake Echoes compilation. Brilliant, just brilliant! :shock:
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Massed Gadgets wrote:This is rather ambitious, but we could try to do an album that emulated the style for each major era of Floyd, i.e., The Syd Era, The space rock era, the experimental/pastoral pre-DSTOM era, the classic era, the post RW era, or something like that.

Or, we could do a song cycle with 1-3 songs emulating each era (perhaps a double CD length) and following a story, perhaps the rise and fall of a fictious Pink Floyd-like band, that way people would get to pick songs to write from their favourite eras. I'd be willing to hammer out a rough story idea for something like that that we could then work on together. Like a Floyd album, we could layer in voices, like fake interview clips from the various eras of this ficticious band as they change. Actually, as I'm writing this, I'm really starting to like this idea! :D
I REALLY like this idea...particularly the idea of using "interview clips" in the songs.

Fecking BRILLIANT, MG. :D :D
Zarquon
Blade
Blade

Post by Zarquon »

I'd like to hear one of two things

1. the 'next' David Gilmour led Pink Floyd album rather than any nostalgia laden thing

2. An album in the vein of Animals instead of the wash-of-atmospheric-keyboards style stuff
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

So, here's something to consider...

HOW are we going to approach these songs? Shall we continue the tradition (such as it is,) of each song being done by a singular artist/group? Or do we want to see if working "together" is feasable?

Double Core contains at least three instances of what I'll call "International collaboration," and what I was a part of was reasonably painless :lol:

I realize that we still haven't set our "theme" in stone; and there's still plenty of time for people to continue making suggestions. But, that's something that I've been wondering about.

I think this is all very exciting, myself :D
Vera Lynn
Blade
Blade

Post by Vera Lynn »

mosespa wrote:So, here's something to consider...

HOW are we going to approach these songs? Shall we continue the tradition (such as it is,) of each song being done by a singular artist/group? Or do we want to see if working "together" is feasable?

Double Core contains at least three instances of what I'll call "International collaboration," and what I was a part of was reasonably painless :lol:

I realize that we still haven't set our "theme" in stone; and there's still plenty of time for people to continue making suggestions. But, that's something that I've been wondering about.

I think this is all very exciting, myself :D
Hi Mossy! :)
Just a suggestion!
Get as much people involved in the project!If you have to many songs for a double cd's then you could store some for a third or a fourth album. I know it's a lot of work for you , but you did such a good job on the double Core album it shouldn't be a problem :) :lol: :D
For example if you can have two songs of each Era from group or single artist , it will give you more choice to do the final mix! Also I think International contribution would be your best option!

Just a "theme" suggestion
The Beginning and the End , the title represent The beginning of Floyd to the break up, it would also represent the Creation of this world to the Armagedon!
Just ideas!
Have a good Day!
Ray :)
cwta eugene
Hammer
Hammer

Post by cwta eugene »

In going with Mass Gadgets idea, I want to write a couple songs from the early era of Floyd- where Pink Floyd are just emerging as a band, and Syd is leaving.

Here is another set of lyrics I wrote about Syd. They are from the image I have of him thumbing his way back home to Cambridge to live with his mom. I appreciate the comments on the last set of lyrics, but please be more open. What would you change? if you would like to add something or remove something, let me know. As Mosespa suggested, I think we should have this be a group collaboration. I can write some lyrics and music, but my voice is really lacking. If you have a good voice, sing out these words and tell me how you would sing them. By that, I mean, would you sing them in a folky- WYWH kindof way? Or should it be more dark and sinister like Don't Leave Me Now? And for you musicians, play along with the words, let me know what comes to mind.

Thanks,
Tanner

I become a small speck in a rear view mirror
As another car passes me by-
And I hang my head and count my footsteps
As the tears well up in my eyes-

My legs, they hurt from all the walking
And my thumb has done its part-
But the thing that aches the most for me
Is my poor, poor broken heart-

I've given away my guitars, mom
And shelved the record deals-
And all I need is peace and quiet
And perhaps a home cooked meal?

I left the popstar back in London
I've said goodbye to Syd-
And now I'm headed south to Cambridge-
Back to where I lived as a kid-

And as I look ahead at the overpass
I see the sun is sinking low-
And though that sun may soon retire-
I still have far to go-

And though these hands once held the world
They now just hold a sack-
Full of dissapointed dreams
Now flung upon my back-

I gave away my guitars, mom
And shelved the record deals-
And all I need is a soft, clean bed
And perhaps a home cooked meal?

I left the popstar back in London
I said goodbye to Syd-
And now I'm headed south to Cambridge
Where I lived once as a kid-

And though my old band may make a million
As across the world they rome-
All I'll be needing,
Is some painting and some weeding,
And a place I can call home-
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Wonderful lyrics! I had a melody for them right after reading second verse. Very, very melodic and catchy!
Vera Lynn
Blade
Blade

Post by Vera Lynn »

Wow :) These are fantastic lyrics! 8)
You want us to be open with you CWTA.....well don't be dissapointed if I tell you that this song doesn't need any change,on a scale of 10 I will gave you a 9.5 if I gave you the .5 missing you'de the sixth PF members :lol: :lol: and maybe you could be! :shock:
Good Job! CWTA :)
If you want advise be ready for what I have to tell you:
WRITE ANOTHER ONE
Peace
Ray :D
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

Personally, I thought the same thing, but CWTAE seemed to be looking for constructive criticism, which is a good thing, though I could not offer any after his first revelation of lyrics, as I found them to be so poignant....

I read this second set of lyrics twice, and the style of guitar that came to mind was reminiscent of that displayed in "Bob Dylan Blues;" i.e. a down-to-earth heartfelt acoustic guitar solo without a lot of embellishments...seems perfect to me (and you write some very well thought-out and evoking lyrics CWTAE!)
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Right. So, it looks like we've got lyrics cooking already (and damned fine ones, at that, IMO.)

Is there anyone already signed up for this project (loosely speaking,) that has a problem with going with MG's concept?

Do we need a poll?

EDIT: It might be cool if someone could come up with instrumentals that bridge the sections. Like for example, a tune that starts off sounding like, say Interstellar Overdrive (for example)and ends up morphing into the "More" sound...from there, we could pick up the "pastoral folk" sound.

Just an idea.
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by 2066 »

Those lyrics are very good CWTA. You've got something going on!
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

Great lyrics CWTAE!

That being said, I mentioned in the original concept that I thought this should be about a ficticious PF-like band, and not actually about the Floyd's themselves. The reason why, I think we'd be more conceptually free to play around with ideas. It's often easier to express ideas in terms of a ficticious character, i.e., Pink in the Wall. Althogh there were elements to Pink's life that were similar to both Syd Barrett and Roger Waters, Pink was a fictional construct. Also, in terms of the idea of using fake interviews of the band members, this would be a little difficult to do if the album was actually about Pink Floyd. We'd have to use actual interview recordings then, and that could get into copyright difficulties. Just a few of my thoughts!

Regardless of what way we decide to go with it, I'm in! I have a particular interest in the post Barrett, psychedelic period, especially the More and Ummagumma "sound".
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

I had assumed that the "interviews" were going to be wholly fictional constructs, anyway.

I was actually about to pm you, MG, about whether or not you wanted to collaborate on those bits. :D
db_intheflesh
Blade
Blade

Post by db_intheflesh »

As with all the tribute-like projects so far, you can count me in!

I'm not going to be online for the next few weeks, at least not with any consistency, so no guarantee of any direct involvement at this stage.

David
davidjay
Hammer
Hammer
Location: spiraling down to the hole in the ground where i hide

Post by davidjay »

i like the idea of telling the story of pink floyd in the context of a concept album. it's sort of like "the wall" but taking the story from the early days with syd. there's lots of drama there. look at their story like the outline to a film:

the early years with syd. his drug use and mental deterioration. the band replaces him with dave and moves on. the band continues to gain popularity and hit's it big with tdsotm. roger brings the band to the pinnacle of success with the wall, but in the process destroys the band. dave, nick and rick pick up the pieces and move on. the final chapter is the reunion at live 8. the epilogue is syd's death and the band paying tribute to him. lot's of great plot points with excessive drug use. dave and roger battling for control over the band, dramatic court battles, a happy ending and a bittersweet goodbye to the syd at the end. brilliant!

i'd love to be involved. i'm not really a musician. i'm a singer, lyricist and producer. i've got a fully funtional recording and editing studio. maybe someone would like to collaborate?

i put together a thing i call "the dance" that i envisioned as some sort of a concept album over 20 years ago. if you'd like to read it, you can find it here: http://members.tripod.com/~davidjay/dance.html

i wrote it in 1986 while i was living in los angeles and commuting to work on the freeways. i found the car culture very interesting at the time. rather than having a narrative storyline, it's a collection of studies on many different aspects of driving. road rage, dui, random freeway shootings, what people do while driving when they don't think anyone else is watching. many different ideas. they're sort of strung together by a character by the name of danny brilliant, a radio talk show host.

i wrote a year before waters released radio kaos. i was a bit dismayed by the similarity in roger using jim ladd as a character to bind the album together. i guess roger and i were tapped into the same collective unconcious whle writing!

if you noodle around the website linked to above, please keep in mind that this was my first foray into html. i've long since abandoned the site. it was mostly just an exercise in writing html code. it's all pretty primitive!