Right...Back To Square One, Anyone?

Discuss Pink Floyd tribute acts including NPF projects too!
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: Right...Back To Square One, Anyone?

Post by Hudini »

It should sound a little odd, but it's just too odd putting B flat in that combination, and it's in no 'Syd' mood that way. There are a lot other chords that would fit in there making it both odd and better. Bsus4 was just my suggestion, as it first crossed my mind.
cwta eugene
Hammer
Hammer

Post by cwta eugene »

Ok, I'm embarressed to write this, but I always get my B chords mixed up. B is played with the second fret barred and the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th strings played on the fouth fret right? Bb is the same, just on the first and third frets, right? Anyway, I was playing the chord with the second and fourth frets, but Hudini's idea to play it as a suspended chord actually does make it sound a little more "Barrett-esque" instead of "Bon-Jovi'ish", don't you think Mosespa?

Also, on my second song where Syd is hitch-hiking home, I was thinking along a rolling C-C/G-Am-AmF-F-C-F-G progression (ala Simon and Garfunkels "America" or "Only Living Boy In New York".)
where the ending three or four words in the first and third line of each verse are sung in an extended fashion like David does on "On- An- Is-land".

(C) I bec (C/G) ome (Am) a small (AmF) speck, (F)in a (C) rear view (F) mir (G) or

The second and third lines would end with just the F chord (perhaps with a few hammer on's)

I still don't know what to do with the chorus?

I'm really no musician, and in listening to Double Core over the last few days, I know alot of you out there are! I have a cheap Takimine guitar and that's it, I haven't any other instruments and I don't have any high-tech recording devices. So I'm afraid one of you will eventually have to record these songs, so try them out and give me your suggestions.

Thanks,
Tanner
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

cwta eugene wrote:Ok, I'm embarressed to write this, but I always get my B chords mixed up. B is played with the second fret barred and the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th strings played on the fouth fret right? Bb is the same, just on the first and third frets, right?
That's right. I had a lot of trouble with those too, since what you call B in America is called H in most of the European countries, while what you call Bb is called simply B. That's all plain stupidity, when you should actually call it Hb or something, but whatever.
cwta eugene wrote:Also, on my second song where Syd is hitch-hiking home, I was thinking along a rolling C-C/G-Am-AmF-F-C-F-G progression (ala Simon and Garfunkels "America" or "Only Living Boy In New York".)
where the ending three or four words in the first and third line of each verse are sung in an extended fashion like David does on "On- An- Is-land".

(C) I bec (C/G) ome (Am) a small (AmF) speck, (F)in a (C) rear view (F) mir (G) or

The second and third lines would end with just the F chord (perhaps with a few hammer on's)

That's not bad at all, if I understood you correctly. Maybe I could fool around a bit and get some ideas for the chorus for you. :D
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

cwta eugene wrote:1. Ok, I'm embarressed to write this, but I always get my B chords mixed up. B is played with the second fret barred and the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th strings played on the fouth fret right? Bb is the same, just on the first and third frets, right? Anyway, I was playing the chord with the second and fourth frets, but Hudini's idea to play it as a suspended chord actually does make it sound a little more "Barrett-esque" instead of "Bon-Jovi'ish", don't you think Mosespa?

2. Also, on my second song where Syd is hitch-hiking home, I was thinking along a rolling C-C/G-Am-AmF-F-C-F-G progression (ala Simon and Garfunkels "America" or "Only Living Boy In New York".)

3. I'm really no musician, and in listening to Double Core over the last few days, I know alot of you out there are! I have a cheap Takimine guitar and that's it, I haven't any other instruments and I don't have any high-tech recording devices. So I'm afraid one of you will eventually have to record these songs, so try them out and give me your suggestions.

Thanks,
Tanner
1. Sorry, I haven't sat down and played with the chords yet. I liked the IDEA of going from E to Bflat because it isn't quite what one expects to happen (B is what on expects to happen.) Such a move would (I should think) open the door to a more exotic "Syd-esque" sort of melody...but right now, I'm just high and rambling...pay me no mind :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

In the end...whatever satsifies you (the artist) is paramount. Do what you think sounds best.

2. Bear in mind that one of the hallmarks of Syd is the unexpected. For example, the breakdown of "Bike" that Roger gave in an interview. You've got the melody of Bike just going along, the rhyme scheme is fairly well set...and then suddenly, "but I borrowed it" comes out of nowhere.

Not to try to tell you how to do write your songs, by the way...just offering some "Producerly" advice :D

3. The acoustics that you hear on Come And See are a Jasmine by Takamine (cheap guitar,) the 12-string was a Yamaha, I think...On both Come And See and Stars, the bass is by Crate (cheap guitar,) the electric was a low-rent Ibanez that I picked up for about 200 USD and the drums and keyboard sounds came from a Yamaha PRS-something or another that I snagged for about a hundered and fifty USD over seven years ago.

Cheap equipment is very allowable in these projects :D

If you'd like, I'd be very happy to build the tracks for your songs. All I'd need from you is a recording of you singing it and playing guitar along with a metronone or click track.

Technically, since we're still in the early-era, the click track/metronome isn't even a MUST, if you can keep reasonably consistent time.
cwta eugene
Hammer
Hammer

Post by cwta eugene »

Mosespa, you've really got me thinking about some things. :D :D

1. Suppose we make up this fake Pink Floyd band, so that many people can contribute with lyrics, music, artwork, suggestions, and such, but in the end all of the music is sung by just four guys- representing the fake Syd, Roger, David, and Rick? It just doesn't make sense if we are to have "a sort of history on the band", that we have a Syd-character or David character with alternating voices throughout the album. The music of Pink Floyd is so various anyway that I don't think we need only four guys to write the music, just to sing. I have no problem with somebody out there singing my songs, but if they do, I think they should also sing the fake "Piper Era" songs as well. It's only a suggestion, afterall Double Core seemed to work just fine with many voices 8) .

2. How about we make a fake video-documentary as well? Video editing is sort of a hobby of mine. Perhaps Davidjay could do all the narrating for it if I pieced together all the video? Perhaps the fake Dave, Rick, Syd, and Roger could film themselves answering various questions about the fake band. Perhaps other members of the forum could send in pictures and video as well and we could somehow tie them in to the story. For instance, Keith could play a fake Steve O' Rourke or something.

3. I think the suggestions for sending you and others some demos is a spectacular idea! Just what I was thinking. And by the way, I wouldn't have guessed for a minute that all your equipment was cheap! :lol:
davidjay
Hammer
Hammer
Location: spiraling down to the hole in the ground where i hide

Post by davidjay »

so is, in fact, there something starting here? it seems like it. i've had some lyrics come to me concerning the infamous spitting incident. i've started to jot some things down. i'll post something when i've got a bit worth reading.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

davidjay wrote:i've had some lyrics come to me concerning the infamous spitting incident.
I had some lyrics that combined the titles of Pink Floyd songs in a whole that made some sense. I wrote them ages ago, so I'll have to dig them out somewhere (maybe rearrange it now I'm older) and I'll post that too.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

cwta eugene wrote:Mosespa, you've really got me thinking about some things. :D :D

1. Suppose we make up this fake Pink Floyd band, so that many people can contribute with lyrics, music, artwork, suggestions, and such, but in the end all of the music is sung by just four guys- representing the fake Syd, Roger, David, and Rick? It just doesn't make sense if we are to have "a sort of history on the band", that we have a Syd-character or David character with alternating voices throughout the album. The music of Pink Floyd is so various anyway that I don't think we need only four guys to write the music, just to sing. I have no problem with somebody out there singing my songs, but if they do, I think they should also sing the fake "Piper Era" songs as well. It's only a suggestion, afterall Double Core seemed to work just fine with many voices 8) .

2. How about we make a fake video-documentary as well? Video editing is sort of a hobby of mine. Perhaps Davidjay could do all the narrating for it if I pieced together all the video? Perhaps the fake Dave, Rick, Syd, and Roger could film themselves answering various questions about the fake band. Perhaps other members of the forum could send in pictures and video as well and we could somehow tie them in to the story. For instance, Keith could play a fake Steve O' Rourke or something.

3. I think the suggestions for sending you and others some demos is a spectacular idea! Just what I was thinking. And by the way, I wouldn't have guessed for a minute that all your equipment was cheap! :lol:
1. Listen to "Tommy" by The Who.

Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend take turns singing Tommy's lines. Also, Uncle Ernie's lyrics are sung first by Entwhistle, then later by Townshend.

But...I DO like the idea of four specific people playing the parts all the way through, regardless of who writes what.

2. Sounds like something to run with. :D :D

3. Thanks :D
davidjay
Hammer
Hammer
Location: spiraling down to the hole in the ground where i hide

Post by davidjay »

cwta eugene wrote: 2. How about we make a fake video-documentary as well? Video editing is sort of a hobby of mine. Perhaps Davidjay could do all the narrating for it if I pieced together all the video?
that sounds like a very ambitious project. i would be happy to help any way that i could.

i'm still working on some lyrics. i'm trying to write in the style of roger waters. i'm finding that the line between emulation and parody is a thin one. i'm trying to write in his style, but i find that i'm falling into patterns that more resemble a cheap rip-off of roger, rather that an homage to him. i'm trying to capture the inspiration for "the wall". the more successful as a musician roger becomes, the larger the arenas become. the more fans roger plays to, the more isolated he feels from the audience.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Just run with it, dude. Sometimes, what one person thinks of as parody, another person thinks of as spot-on emulation.

And if you're anything like me, you're your own worst critic, anyway.
cwta eugene
Hammer
Hammer

Post by cwta eugene »

Here's another song I wrote recently. It's about Roger singing a love song to his wife while he's on the road and realizing his infidelity and yearning to be a rockstar has cost him what he desires most: Tell me what you think.

The city street rings out below
From the balcony of my room-
And though in my bed may sleep another
My thoughts are still with you-

The band had long since left the stage
And the champagne had been poured-
When I asked her if she'd stay awhile
While standing by my door-

And now her name escapes me as
Down upon that street I stare-
I wonder was it Maud or Mary?
Then I wonder if I care?-

And it's one more night in New York City
Wondering where you are-
Nothing but some thoughts of you
As I strum this old guitar-

And though tonight I sung to thousands
And thousands did rejoice-
The one I really wished to sing to
You never heard my voice-

But maybe your as sad as I am-
You miss me and you're blue-
Just in case you feel about me-
The way I feel for you-

I'll sing a song to no one other
This song made just for you-

And though I held her in my arms,
Our hearts they never met-
And one small deed has left me aching
Dying with regrets-

I let the flesh control my will
And now my will is spent-
I'm tired and I'm homesick
Wishing I had never went-

Wondering where you are-

The way I feel for you-

moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Syd'sSexy wrote:
mosespa wrote:Just a couple of questions...because there ARE some things that I don't know.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

**checks pulse**

:lol: :lol:
Same here, Sean (seriously :lol: )

I'm in :D

My idea is that we could make a "mixed" album, yet with a conception, - "spacey" and "psychedelic" tracks among "wallish" and "momentary" ones, thus EVERYBODY would find something suitable, at least :D Now, the concept... could be anything, say, umm, modern life the way it is :) ?

Also, let me just go record some demos or ready stuff, then post (a) link(s) here :D

And while reading CWTAE's lyrics (which are soooo good :D ), I remembered... that I had forgotten to remember Syd on 7th July :( ... But since today a year ago was the day his death was announced, I'll honour him today :D By playing, whether on CD or nyself, his stuff, etc...
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

cwta eugene wrote:Here's another song I wrote recently. It's about Roger singing a love song to his wife while he's on the road and realizing his infidelity and yearning to be a rockstar has cost him what he desires most: Tell me what you think.

The city street rings out below
From the balcony of my room-
And though in my bed may sleep another
My thoughts are still with you-

The band had long since left the stage
And the champagne had been poured-
When I asked her if she'd stay awhile
While standing by my door-

And now her name escapes me as
Down upon that street I stare-
I wonder was it Maud or Mary?
Then I wonder if I care?-

Wondering where you are-

The way I feel for you-

And though I held her in my arms,
Our hearts they never met-
And one small deed has left me aching
Dying with regrets-

I let the flesh control my will
And now my will is spent-
I'm tired and I'm homesick
Wishing I had never went-

Wondering where you are-

The way I feel for you-

For some reason...this one strikes me as though it should be in the "pastoral/folk" era...something like Grantchester Meadows.

I like it :D
cwta eugene
Hammer
Hammer

Post by cwta eugene »

If anybody wants to use my lyrics for a song please PM me. I have come to the conclusion that I can't write music. I wrote all those lyrics in under an hour, but it's taken me weeks to come up with any good chord progression for them. I'll keep writing lyrics here. Make sure, if you want them, you copy and paste them before the forum does the time travel thing.

Plus, I really want to tackle this video documentary thing. I was thinking of something like MTV did with "Pink Floyd-Behind The Wall". You musicians can send in video of you writing and performing the songs, and those not involved in the album can just send in pictures of you perhaps at a concert venue before or after a concert, or something like that, and I'll add your pictures. In the end, I'll probably turn it into a streaming Windows Media file and Keith can post it in the Miscellaneus Downloads section for eveybody to watch. If you other ideas, let me know.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

cwta eugene wrote:Make sure, if you want them, you copy and paste them before the forum does the time travel thing.
You just make sure you keep them all, and I'm sure mosespa will resurrect this thread once the forum goes back in time. :D