Re-engineering Another Brick in the Wall Part II

Discuss Pink Floyd tribute acts including NPF projects too!
Electric Eddy
Embryo
Embryo

Re-engineering Another Brick in the Wall Part II

Post by Electric Eddy »

Friendly Greetings,

If there's enough interest I'll show track by track how I created in Cubase a version of Another Brick in the Wall Part II.

This version is obviously what it sounds like before any comments were applied so leave a comment below, or on YouTube and I'll include it in the next version.

At the end of the exercise I'll include a video log relating to everything I've picked up which might be beneficial to some.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyMXvaRC0pE

See YouTube extract below:

This is a re-engineered version of Pink Floyd's track Another Brick in the Wall Part 2. The bass was recorded direct using a Line 6 Bass Pod XT and the guitar tracks were mostly through a Boss GT-10 with some external stomp boxes for heavy distortion. The solo was recorded clean with some compression and the tracks were mixed in cubase where basic reverb added. If anyone is interested in seeing how this track was made using cubase let me know as I'm considering making a video of how it was recorded and produced track by track.

The video was compiled and synced with the song using YouTube clips from documentary footage relating to 2001 space odyssey, atomic and hydrogen bomb explosions, building of the Berlin wall, international space station project, and the extinct excessive race from Easter Island.

Electric Eddy.
Last edited by Electric Eddy on Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mosespa

Re: Re-engineering Another Brick in the Wall Part II

Post by mosespa »

Just as a friendly piece of advice, you might want to make some other posts in other topics fairly quickly just as a show of faith that you aren't breaking the forum rule about joining just to promote yourself. :D
Electric Eddy
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Electric Eddy »

No problem, I'll look forward to participating.

Electric Eddy.
Electric Eddy
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Electric Eddy »

I've picked up some good advice already from different sources such as:

- Timing in the solo for specific bends is slightly out.
- The backing tracks sound too digital.
- The reverb used on the vocals is a bit naff.
- The bass is to high in the mix.
- It lacks top end.
- Etc.

All of which I will try and address in the next version which I will post for re-review.

Other comments will be really appreciated.
Electric Eddy
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Electric Eddy »

Re the comment I got about the track sounding too digital, has anyone any tips re recording the final mix to 1/4 inch tape. I've an old Revox P3 MKIII which I got from a studio.

I'll re-record the track to tape and upload it to YouTube for comparison.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Hi Eddy :D

I think you might wanna work on vocals ;)
Terentek
Axe
Axe

Post by Terentek »

Hi eddy.
I think that was a pretty good try mate.
I also think you already know pretty much what needs working on.

But the thing about doing covers is you are up against a recording that cost literally tens of thousand in a pro studio,versus a home recording and that's before you begin to try and duplicate exactly what is being played.

I use Cubase SX,and the thing about software studio's is they will become as "Digital" as you allow them to be.
For all their complexities,work in the old ways.

Mixing and mastering is an art all by itself.
It can breathe life into a recording or kill it stone dead.

But none the less,as I said,that was a pretty good go at it mate.

Nigel
Pink
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Pink »

could you show me how you recorded it? im rubish at cubase well iv got nuendo now but iv hered its a similiar thing.

i thought it was great. the only constructive criticism is the solo it needs more sustain maybe more compression or a hint of gain. really hard to say. and a very hard tone to achive i think. also more pull offs in places 8)
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Sorry mate, but if you're looking at re-creating the piece note per note you're not doing a very good job. You're vocals are, um, a bit shy if I can put it that way, the rhythm guitar lacks reverb and it's too high in the mix, plus the bridge doesn't sound like that at all, and the guitar solo is miles away from Dave's. It may sound like Dave's solo, but the way you pick it, bend it, pull it off and hammer it is completely different. You can tell it's not Pink Floyd from the first second. Sorry.

It does tell you're not bad at mixing music, though. You might try pursuing something else.
Pink
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Pink »

i disagree with you "Hudini"

i think he should keep plugging away its not a million miles away its quite close like already been said the original recording cost thousands. its a really good attempt. the solo could be better but thats just practice
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

I didn't say the solo was bad, but it doesn't come close to David Gilmour's style of playing. I couldn't play that solo in an exact manner David Gilmour played it, but then I don't try to do so. And by the way, re-engineering a song is one thing, re-recording it is quite another. Face it, even David Gilmour would have played the song at least a bit differently if he were to re-record it. Why should than anyone who hasn't played a single note on the original recording think they could record the song so that no one tells the difference between the original and their version? Especially when there are such notable dissimilarities.
Terentek
Axe
Axe

Post by Terentek »

Exactly :)

That's why I steer clear of doing cover numbers.
It's never going to cut it.

No harm doing them so long as you enjoy it,but actualy trying to match it note for note with all that would entail AND try and compete witha world class studio...
No thank you

I admire the dedication it must have took,but I would rather hear what YOU have written.

Pink...
nuendo
I haven't seen that and have no idea if it is similar to Cubase.
SX is just what I have stuck with,I have others like Logic,but Cubase does me.

Nigel
Pink
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Pink »

yes i agree its basically impossible to get a cover to sound exactly like one thats been done cos everyone plays in there own way. but no harm in trying though

yes i would rather hear orignal material or a cover thats different from the orginal like black magic women . peter green and santana two very different versions.

but i give the guy credit for trying anyway 8)
Electric Eddy
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Electric Eddy »

Totally agree! I used the wrong wording in the title. I was just messing around with a track I like.h