NPF Tribute CD Thread

Discuss Pink Floyd tribute acts including NPF projects too!
pinknewbie
Hammer
Hammer

Post by pinknewbie »

I know all i couldnt mix the tracks, all i can do is contribute one.

As far as I can see there are 7 people interested so perhaps if everyone who wants to do two can do two.
jonesy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by jonesy »

i'll do a couple ..
just dont know what to do ?? too much to choose from :lol:
probably somat not too difficult with an easy keyboared part :lol:
as we dont av a keyboard player and i make it up (i know a few chords)
so ithink anybody whos intrested should do theyre thing and well see what happens (no rush) not yet anyways )

as for the mix anyone who thinks theyre capable should have ago..?? :lol:
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

mosespa wrote:Stu...I'm curious how good you are at "mastering" things.

I.e., if a bunch of us were to record different songs, would you be able to take the mixes and then master them in such a way as to sound as though they belong next to each other?

Unify them and maybe even give them segues into each other?
I feel confident I could do a decent job and this could present quite an interesting challenge as Im sure there would be quite different styles used, for starters I think we can guarantee a rock / guitar based approach from a few people and my covers would be in more of an electro-pop style so it would be cool to bring those contrasts together and segues will be a piece of cake, an idea I had that could either work really well or fall flat on its arse would be for members of the forum to record some bits of speech used on floyd tracks or in the segues like on the Wall numbers, that way we could have members of the forum who arent musically inclined contributing as well, I think it would be worth giving it a shot.
pinknewbie
Hammer
Hammer

Post by pinknewbie »

We should also try to cover music spanning their career from patgod to DB. Perhaps even one from each album

The Pipers at the Gates of Dawn - Intersteller Overdrove
Music from the film MORE - Green is the colour
Atom Heart Mother - Fat old sun
Dark Side of the Moon - Money , time , brain damage and eclipse
Wish You Were Here - SOYCD and WYWH
Animals - Pigs on the wing 1 and 2
The Wall - Comfortably numb and ???
The Final Cut - the final cut
A Momentary Lapse of Reason - Learning to fly
The Division Bell - marooned?

I think this is a reasonable list with a fair bit of variation. I left a few albums out with tracks I thought wouldnt be that good.

Suggestions?? changes???
Powderfinger
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Powderfinger »

I think it's a good idea, but I can't help you guys. First I am a very poor player, and I don't have any ways to record properly. I'll be intersested in the result, though.
olzen
Judge!
Judge!

Post by olzen »

Maybe me and my band could supply a cover of, say, One Of These Days or another one of the more heavy songs. I'll ask the other guys when I get the chance, that's for sure.
Last edited by olzen on Tue Dec 28, 2004 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fat_old_sun
Tracker Mod
Tracker Mod

Post by fat_old_sun »

we need keith to bring back the attatchment option!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :'(
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Stu...that's a brilliant idea. We could even start a "flash card thread" with questions such as "When was the last time you were violent," and have people record their responses and send them to a central location (Jangus...wanna host THIS?)

I also like the idea of covering songs from EVERY album.

What we need to do now is decide who are going to do which songs. I have a few that I'd like to stake out (the aforementioned HAC and P(3DO)...but I'd also like to try my hands at...say Cymbaline or Childhood's End, if there are no objections.)

Anyway...we'll work all that out as we go along.

Maybe a SPECIAL EDITION of the Survivor game in which a song is chosen and everyone votes to eliminate potential recorders.

Just some thoughts.
olzen
Judge!
Judge!

Post by olzen »

I like the idea of the flash-card thread. I'd definitely want to participate in that. Like I said, I'm in a band that would probably be interested in some of the more aggressive stuff. Like A Saucerful of Secrets, The Nile Song, Careful With That Axe Eugene, One Of These Days, Not Now John etc.
pinknewbie
Hammer
Hammer

Post by pinknewbie »

It seems that this is going to get no where unless we get someone incharge of the cds production. We need to work out which tracks we are going to record and maybe building off mosepa's idea we could use the winning songs from the survivor game or something. Whatever happens someone needs to coordinate this whole thing and its not gonna be me.

If i had to chose a song for my band id like to do either soycd, fat old sun, time or perhaps coming back to life. However I am willing to do mostly anything.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Query: Are we out to do "reproductions" of the songs to show off how well we know them, or are we out to show off our own creativity?

Just curious.
olzen
Judge!
Judge!

Post by olzen »

Well, if people want the listen to the accurate versions of the songs, they'd obviously listen to the ones by the band instead of covers created by fans. If the CD just consists of, say, 10 note-by-note representations of songs, it won't really be a tribute, IMO.
db_intheflesh
Blade
Blade

Post by db_intheflesh »

On my regular Mike Oldfield forum, the fans recently collaborated on a cover of a track, with members playing one part each. The result was an amazing track that sounded like it could have been performed by the dozen people being in the same room. You can listen / read about it here.

How about trying something like this? There's a lot of work involved in the mixing and organising of such a project, but I'm prepared to use my novice mixing skills to try this. If we were to try a track, we'd need something that's quite rich in parts - Time springs to mind, or High Hopes, or - if we're feeling adventurous and there are enough people wanting involved - SOYCD or Dogs.

Any interest in trying a *real* collaboration? :D

David
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

db_intheflesh wrote:On my regular Mike Oldfield forum, the fans recently collaborated on a cover of a track, with members playing one part each. The result was an amazing track that sounded like it could have been performed by the dozen people being in the same room. You can listen / read about it here
Im a member of Tubular Net too, possibly a few too many sections to the forum but a very good site. The Tubular Bells thing was a bit easier as it was done using midi-files with the same melody from the end of part one over and over but still a very interesting idea and it worked well.
mosespa wrote:Stu...that's a brilliant idea. We could even start a "flash card thread" with questions such as "When was the last time you were violent," and have people record their responses and send them to a central location (Jangus...wanna host THIS?)
Yep, definitely go with the flash card thread, if anyone has a problem with recording their answers into their pc and e-mailing them as mp3s then good old tape will be more than sufficient and I can do any necessary tweaking this end if anyone wants to snail-mail me their cassette.
Powderfinger wrote:I think it's a good idea, but I can't help you guys. First I am a very poor player, and I don't have any ways to record properly. I'll be intersested in the result, though.
Why not just have a play around and see what you can come up with, it doesnt have to sound like Floyd, just be one of their songs, it would be better if you put your own stamp on it anyway (Olzens post above pretty much sums it up) and I can clean up the recording here, and of course, no ones offered to cover Goodbye Cruel World yet :) but if you really dont feel able to record a song yourself then why not have a go at the suggestion I made earlier where members of the forum could record some of the speech parts on the Floyd tracks? that way you could still contribute, it would be good to have as many members on board as possible.
mosespa wrote:Query: Are we out to do "reproductions" of the songs to show off how well we know them, or are we out to show off our own creativity?

Just curious.
Id say go the creative route, we have them Floyd style already so I say go nuts and see what what happens! I started my second Floyd cover last night which I think might make a great opener for the disc, its a piano / strings / choir / musical box and analogue synth (for low bass rumble) version of Let There Be More Light and would make an interesting sort of overture for the compilation, Ive got a fantastic idea for the vocals as well if it works out.

Right I think its time we put this all into action eh chaps? Theres enough of us now to get the ball rolling so we need to sort out whos doing what. So far I have put down the music for versions of Chapter 24 and Let There Be More Light.

Im happy to deal with the mastering and compiling side of things, working for a recording studio I have all the trinkets and baubles (and time) at my disposal.

We should get one (or more) of the non musical contributing forum members to deal with the artwork so we can have more people involved, and we do have some excellent artists on this site.

Mosespa, can you get the flash card thread together?

That should be enough to get us started. This is going to be a lot of fun!
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Right.

First off, I've been thinking about it, and I think I DO want to take a spin at Pigs (3DO)...I've had some ideas for kind of rocking it up.

Going now to start the flash card thread.