NPF TRIBUTE CD REVIEW CENTRE

Discuss Pink Floyd tribute acts including NPF projects too!
HaVoKnYnJ
Axe
Axe

Post by HaVoKnYnJ »

3 discs, each better than the last...so good. Everyone who had anything to do with this project deserves a standing ovation...so I'm standing in front of my computer at work, with my boss looking at me like I'm insane (is he wrong?) clapping for all of you/us. Awesome.
9flowing
Knife
Knife

Post by 9flowing »

So far I've only listened intently to CD1...

I particularly like "Stop"...beautifully weighted & crafted and an original interpretation. Cymbaline is also very well done. On both these tracks as much attention has been given to the recording of the vocal as the intsrumentation, something which I don't feel has always been done on some of the other tracks. On the whole (ie vocal aside) the standard is very good and given the wide range of technologies that must have been used around the world to record the tracks the audio quality is very good.

:D
PhilB
Axe
Axe

Post by PhilB »

The CD's are very excellent :D congratulations to all involved!

My personal favourites (in no particular order) are:

The Turning Away - Stop
Lovespirals - Cymbaline
Soundgate - Careful With That Axe, Eugene
Titanium Brontosaurus - Is There Anybody Out There?
David Swain - Goodbye Cruel World
Coarse - One Of These Days
Arcadian Woodsmen - Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun
Bulldog Drummond - Hey You
Tony Chalkley - Astronomy Domine
Crime Inc. - Atom Heart Mother
Wish You Were Here - A Pillow Of Winds
Beats Working - See Emily Play
tutoner - Obscured By Clouds
Josh Tvrdy - Mudmen

Also DSOTM is great. For best listening these tracks (CD #3 tracks 1 - 10) need to be burnt to a CD on their own with no space between.
missbee
Axe
Axe

Post by missbee »

Massed Gadgets wrote: I'll reserve comment on my own contribution, Cirrus Minor, for other people!
oh that's you, eh? i was just thinking how close the vibe of yours is to the original. nice reverb sound. your voice is very cute, too. great choice of tracks to cover. love that song!

thanks for the compliments on "cymbaline." that term "breezy" does seem to get thrown around in regards to lovespirals' general sound. i guess i could mention that more of our audio is easily available online, starting with our website: http://www.lovespirals.com.

how about you? more music for us to check out elsewhere? (i'm too lazy to check the liner note files...) :lol:
IainS
Blade
Blade

Post by IainS »

PhilB wrote:The CD's are very excellent :D congratulations to all involved!

My personal favourites (in no particular order) are:

The Turning Away - Stop
Lovespirals - Cymbaline
Josh Tvrdy - Mudmen

Also DSOTM is great. For best listening these tracks (CD #3 tracks 1 - 10) need to be burnt to a CD on their own with no space between.
:oops:
That means a lot....thanks man!!
ally
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ally »

i've listened to discs 1 and 2 , and disc 3 is downloading on the echoes hub now. and all of these covers are AMAZING. you all did a wonderful job :D i especially love 'cymbaline', 'burning bridges' and 'fearless'..but every one sounds good!
Norbert Wilkins
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Norbert Wilkins »

PhilB wrote:My personal favourites (in no particular order) are:

The Turning Away - Stop
Lovespirals - Cymbaline
Josh Tvrdy - Mudmen
Yay! I make somebody's fave list! Nice one, mate. Glad I could help!
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

There is 1 person who I really want to review this and thats Anna-Roza! where are you Anna? have you heard this yet? Id appreciate your comments as would the many contributors. I know I would get a very precise constructive criticism from you, nothing against the comments so far of course, they've been amazing!! but Id like to read Anna's words.
floydboy75
Blade
Blade

Post by floydboy75 »

Great job to all who contributed! All 3 cd's were a pleasure to listen to. But I must admit, the two songs I find myself listening to the most are Cymbaline (speechless! You have one of the best voices I have ever heard!) And Fearless, great guitar work. Has a very good sound to it.
But again, great job by all!
Maybe if I'm brave enough I'll try on the next tribute.
missbee
Axe
Axe

Post by missbee »

golly gee you folks sure could give a gal a big head with all these compliments! :lol:

thought i'd mention that my band has started a podcast and so i'll be mentioning the comp on this week's episode (big #2 -- woo hoo), as well as our website and email list. i'm also promoting it on our myspace page, since a lot of people seem to like that site.

http://www.lovespirals.com/
http://www.myspace.com/lovespirals

btw, my best friend told me that hawkwind also does an amazing cover of "cymbaline." i haven't heard it yet, but i'm curious now.
Last edited by missbee on Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Just got the discs today...listening to them right now.

Stop...is FREAKING AWESOME!!

I didn't even know what it was until the singing started.

Way to adapt a Floyd song and make it sound even more Floydian...if that's possible.

EDIT: I just finished sampling each and every song...Guys, this is FOOKING GREAT!!!!!!

Kudos to everyone. I had no idea there was this much talent on the board.

Maybe we should form a DIY label through the forum :twisted:
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

missbee wrote:your voice is very cute, too.
how about you? more music for us to check out elsewhere? (i'm too lazy to check the liner note files...) :lol:
Hmmm...cute is not a word anyone has ever used before to describe my voice! Glad you enjoyed my take on an old favourite of mine. I have actually recorded a whole album of original material, but I haven't figured out what I'm going to do with it yet, but I'll keep you posted as soon as there might be some stuff on-line that you can hear. I'm hard at work on a follow up to it, as well a collaborative effort with another musician friend of mine.

Mosespa...your version of Pigs (3DO) is KILLER! I picked up on the punk influences before I even read the liner notes, and I think they are quite appropriate, and give it that cool edge sound. Nice job!
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Massed Gadgets wrote:Mosespa...your version of Pigs (3DO) is KILLER! I picked up on the punk influences before I even read the liner notes, and I think they are quite appropriate, and give it that cool edge sound. Nice job!
Thanks, man. Your version of Cirrus Minor is rather Kick-ass itself. I really like the pipe organ sound in the middle. It doesn't sound at all like a synth to my ears.

Question: Was that guitar solo at the end recorded backwards? Or is it a combination of effects? (Nicely done, however it was accomplished, by the way.)

Again, I'm really impressed with everyone's contributions from the musicians to the artists to Stu's mastering job...even the flash card thread responses are really f'ing GREAT.

Missbee...between your lovely picture and beautiful voice, I just have to ask, how do you feel about long-distance relationships? (There I go again :roll: :roll: )
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

mosespa wrote:Maybe we should form a DIY label through the forum :twisted:
This is actually an excellent idea and very doable, we'd have the tribute every six months which makes a great introduction to all the artists involved and then we could do splinter releases of the artists own material or perhaps even a selection of covers from other bands. I have details for an excellent company that press discs with covers dirt cheap that we could use for a compilation of original material, any profits could then go into a fund towards licensing the rights to record some Floyd covers for a professional release further down the line which we could make available on the likes of Amazon etc. This would require people to collaborate on songs to get everyone involved as rights arent cheap so that would narrow down the number of tracks we could use but it can be done if we work together with a specific goal, whos in?
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Now THAT sounds like a pretty killer idea.

At least, to me.