VOLUME 2 Submitted and work in progress songs!!

Discuss Pink Floyd tribute acts including NPF projects too!
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Joining my friend's band for a day when i get back. We are going to be doing either Julia Dream, Summer 68, Ibiza Bar, or Childhood's End :D
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

David Smith wrote:Joining my friend's band for a day when i get back. We are going to be doing either Julia Dream, Summer 68, Ibiza Bar, or Childhood's End :D
Childhoods End is already on the work in progress list David but Ibiza Bar and/or Summer 68 would be really cool, those 2 are songs that only one version exists of (excluding quad and mono variations of course) so that would be really neat if you could work on either or both of those.
jmr
Axe
Axe

Post by jmr »

I really didn't want to resort to this, but:
What is (or is there?) the policy on sampling the original songs? Right now, I'm looking for a decent running/pacing sound effect (for 'On The Run'), but nothing decent has turned up yet... so, what I would like to know is: Can I sample the original? I know this could possibly open a legal can-of-worms, but I thought I should at least ask...

I'm attempting to use the Rear-channels of the quad mix, since the running sfx is pretty well isolated. (apart from a little bit of noise that can be removed with a few noise filters...)

Here's what I've managed to isolate so far:
http://members.lycos.co.uk/jeffswallpap ... RunSFX.mp3
It sounds a bit, eh, tinkly... but it works!
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

jmr wrote:I really didn't want to resort to this, but:
What is (or is there?) the policy on sampling the original songs?
Its a great big NO im afraid, I had to make adjustments to a few of the tracks on volume 1 to remove Floyd samples, and some of other bands too. Please create your own cover version, dont worry if its not precise, thats not the purpose of these discs, the idea is to create your own monument to Floyd in your own way and then stand back and let the world listen!
Tenniru
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tenniru »

I'm currently working on a version of Syd Barrett's "Golden Hair" instrumental from Opel, using a synthesizer I have and some overdubs (also from the synthesizer). I think it's shaping out rather nicely.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

jmr wrote:I'm looking for a decent running/pacing sound effect (for 'On The Run')
Record your own, find a tunnel, and run down it holding a recorder...

For my recording of APB, I recorded a match being struck, then sampled it on the computer.

For my recording of Main Theme (from more) I had to invent percussion, by tapping the microphone with rubbers on pencils, and taping CD jewel cases with biro pens near a micrphone.

EXPERIMENT!
jmr
Axe
Axe

Post by jmr »

my breakfast. wrote: Record your own, find a tunnel, and run down it holding a recorder...
...EXPERIMENT!
lol... I doubt there's even a tunnel within a 500 KM radius of here.... if it was open, I'd go to the school gym and record it.
And I have been experimenting... For one, nearly all of the synths in my OTR are home-made Styrus presets with varying phase/pan/effects. The heartbeat is a kick drum sample. I actually recorded some wind effects, but ended up using a sample that came with my soundcard.
You will need to send me your completed song in WAV format (SHN and FLAC are also acceptable) on a CD, NO MP3's this time around. When your song is finished send me a private message and I will give you the details of where to send to.
Can I upload a FLAC file and email/PM you the link?
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

jmr wrote:
You will need to send me your completed song in WAV format (SHN and FLAC are also acceptable) on a CD, NO MP3's this time around. When your song is finished send me a private message and I will give you the details of where to send to.
Can I upload a FLAC file and email/PM you the link?
No, hard copies only, as stated in the post you quoted. I need a back up just in case.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Hey Stu, make my submitted "More Main Theme", the one with the piano strings and stuff...
Tenniru
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tenniru »

jmr wrote:
my breakfast. wrote: Record your own, find a tunnel, and run down it holding a recorder...
...EXPERIMENT!
lol... I doubt there's even a tunnel within a 500 KM radius of here.... if it was open, I'd go to the school gym and record it.
And I have been experimenting... For one, nearly all of the synths in my OTR are home-made Styrus presets with varying phase/pan/effects. The heartbeat is a kick drum sample. I actually recorded some wind effects, but ended up using a sample that came with my soundcard.
Arg, there are several tunnels right near my house! If only I had a decent tape recorder I'd have my sister run through it.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Tenniru wrote: Arg, there are several tunnels right near my house! If only I had a decent tape recorder I'd have my sister run through it.
Hopefully, not to run her over after having gotten some good takes :twisted:
ironbaden
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ironbaden »

Tenniru wrote:
jmr wrote: lol... I doubt there's even a tunnel within a 500 KM radius of here.... if it was open, I'd go to the school gym and record it.
Arg, there are several tunnels right near my house! If only I had a decent tape recorder I'd have my sister run through it.

Does it have to be a Tunnel? ....why not a Gymnassium?

Or just record your self running in place on wood or a floor and add reverb later....
Norbert Wilkins
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Norbert Wilkins »

Instant tunnel:

Go to your local DIY store and buy a nice long length of plastic tubing, the kind used for drains. It should be quite wide, at least 20cm or so in diameter, but the bigger the better, and at least a metre long. Place a microphone at one end and practice hitting the inside of the other end with a variety of household objects (wooden spoons, sink plungers, chewy rubber dog toys etc.) to see what sounds best. You might try curving the tubing too if you can.
studio_chuck
Embryo
Embryo

Post by studio_chuck »

i will be doing 'In The Flesh Part 1'. hope this i sok to do....couldnt see anyone else doing it.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Recording Summer 68 on Thursday