NPF live show: September 14th @ The Portland, Hove, England!

Discuss Pink Floyd tribute acts including NPF projects too!
Norbert Wilkins
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Norbert Wilkins »

Yay! First person to post a report! :D

Too little sleep -- fractured impressions:

It all went rather well, I thought. I got there late, flustered and disorientated from all the running around, but not too late to catch a few pints at the end of happy hour.

Jonesy's band were great fun, as were the other acts whose forum usernames I neglected to find out, but I'm sure Stu will fill in the blanks when he next checks in. Everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves, and it was one of those nights when the occasional hiccups didn't seem to get in the way of things as they sometimes can. I forgot the lyrics (and managed to lose the crib sheets) to several songs and had to make stuff up on the spot. Set The Controls, for example, became rather more science-fiction orientated, now featuring lines like

The Sky-Captain issues the fatal command
Set the controls for the heart of the sun...

plus some rubbish about black holes extending their welcoming arms, etc. etc. etc. I'm not sure what people made of it. I screwed up large chunks of my set too, in particular In The Flesh? which featured more bum notes than a Les Dawson megamix.

But it was a really good laugh, I enjoyed myself and it was nice to meet people and put faces to names. Most of the crowd got Tribute CDs but some didn't, so all those who failed to contribute can hang their heads in shame for failing to help spread the joy. :cry:

I advise you all to petition Jonesy's band to tackle Echoes for Volume 2 of the NPF Tribute album. Their version was superb.

And yes, there was some limited audio/visual coverage but I forgot to give the tape to Stu. I found it in my pocket on the way back to London. I might accidentally tape over my section before I send it though...

Sadly the tape ran out during Echoes, so I've got a bit of the beginning and a bit of the end.
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

Great! Good to hear you guys had a great time.
Cant wait to hear what Stuie-poo has to say about it.

We want pictures!
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

Hi all!

Im a very tired bunny today, just had to go to another gig, my mate that lent us the cymbals for the evening was playing tonight so I done the decent thing and lent my support, so I'll post all about it tomorrow.

Stu.
Mooner
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Mooner »

You're a perfect gem, Norbert Wilkins. Thanks for your great impressions.
:smt025
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Norbert Wilkins wrote:And yes, there was some limited audio/visual coverage but I forgot to give the tape to Stu. I found it in my pocket on the way back to London. I might accidentally tape over my section before I send it though...
Nooooo! dont tape over it Barney! Gotta keep it for posterity and Id like to see it again!

I've not got far in my write up of the show due to a busy couple of days but if anyone would like to know what was played (and attempted to be played ;) :lol: ) heres the setlist...

setlist...
''Interstellar Overdrive''
''Main Theme From More''
''Obscured By Clouds''
''Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun''
''Welcome To The Machine''
''The Gnome''
''Matilda Mother''
''Money / If I Were A Rich Man''
''Dark Globe''
''Here I Go''
''In The Flesh''
''Another Brick In The Wall''
''The Post War Dream''
''The Final Cut''
''Breathe''
''Travel''
''Time''
''Breathe (reprise)''
''One Of These Days''
''Echoes''
''Wish You Were Here''

Barney, am I missing any of yours off? Was Southampton Dock in there or am I imagining things?
Norbert Wilkins
Hammer
Hammer

simpledumbpilot wrote:''In The Flesh''
''Another Brick In The Wall''
''The Post War Dream''
''The Final Cut''
Barney, am I missing any of yours off? Was Southampton Dock in there or am I imagining things?
Southampton Dock was in there. I kinda did a bit of a medley in two places. Another Brick In The Wall started with The Happiest Days of Our Lives, went straight into Part II and ended using lyrics from Part I. Then I started with Southampton Dock but incorporated parts of The Post War Dream, with "Tony" standing in for "Maggie" because I thought that kind of spotty angst-ridden politicking might work.

So...

''In The Flesh''
''The Happiest Days of Our Lives/Another Brick In The Wall Parts II & I''
''Southampton Dock/The Post War Dream''
''The Final Cut''

I have reviewed the tape, and quite apart from some highly creative (and not necessarily appropriate) framing decisions when I wasn't holding the camera (i.e. was on stage) my vocals appear to be completely inaudible. As I could hear myself on the monitors and the gf says she could hear me at the front, I can only assume that the camera has selective hearing. My guitar sounds quite thin and weedy too (I forgot to use the Big Muff, although it was plugged in and ready.) Everyone else came out quite well though.
W1P
Blade
Blade

Tali

Post by W1P »

Sounds like the DVD of Great Gig in the Sky wasn't used. C'est La Vie! At least Stu gets to see it!
black bobble
Knife
Knife

Post by black bobble »

Everyone else came out quite well though.
You can't be talking about me - my laryngitis had my voice all over the place and that led to me being self concious and forgetting the words as well as hitting the wrong notes.

I had a great time though - loads of alcohol mixed with being ill and anti-biotics as well as the party atmosphere led to great night out. And I thought the other bands were great - including you Norbert (although the sound wasn't good around the corner)
Norbert Wilkins
Hammer
Hammer

black bobble wrote:
Everyone else came out quite well though.
You can't be talking about me - my laryngitis had my voice all over the place and that led to me being self concious and forgetting the words as well as hitting the wrong notes.

I had a great time though - loads of alcohol mixed with being ill and anti-biotics as well as the party atmosphere led to great night out. And I thought the other bands were great - including you Norbert (although the sound wasn't good around the corner)
Sadly I missed your performance. I stopped filming while the PA hum was being sorted out and went for a much needed "beer-release" break. You had finished by the time I got back.

The thing with drinking on antibiotics is that it stops them working and renders the course useless. You pretty much have to start all over again the next day. You have to finish the course to build up your immune system properly and if you drink in the middle you are effectively only doing half the course. You will probably have to go back to your doctor, explain what has happened, and ask for more pills.
W1P wrote:Sounds like the DVD of Great Gig in the Sky wasn't used. C'est La Vie! At least Stu gets to see it!
I can't confirm whether or not your DVD was played (Stu?) There was a DVD player there and a projector, but no screen as it turned out, so the setup became more of an interesting psychedelic lighting effect. However the Tribute CDs were played, so you definitely featured on the night. I was quite pleased to hear Is There Anybody Out There? come on shortly after I arrived. Unfortunately someone was soundchecking at the time, so it was a bit of a secret triumph, but it was nice to hear it on a pub sound system all the same.
black bobble
Knife
Knife

Post by black bobble »

The thing with drinking on antibiotics is that it stops them working and renders the course useless. You pretty much have to start all over again the next day. You have to finish the course to build up your immune system properly and if you drink in the middle you are effectively only doing half the course. You will probably have to go back to your doctor, explain what has happened, and ask for more pills.
I seem to be on the mend - although I suddenly go croaky half way through sentences with no warning. Thanks for the advice though.
jonesy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by jonesy »

Norbert is there any chance of seeing this video ?
as i was very drunk at the time and need to see how bad we were :D :oops:
or have you taped over it ..:wink:
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I think it is time to see some video of the performances. When will it be made available? I would torrent the little devil!
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Keith Jordan wrote:I think it is time to see some video of the performances. When will it be made available? I would torrent the little devil!
Ive not seen it yet, I know I need to PM Barney back, hes mentioned that its been converted to DVD so what we could do is have a look at whats there and see what can be put together from the footage, I'll have to check with everyone what they are happy with for other people to see, I was thinking this could be part of the tribute DVD project, not the documentary but a standalone thing, would make a neat volume 3, I have some footage sent to me by a couple of others and Im still open for others to send anything in, should be able to cobble something together from it all, will be good practice for editing the documentary too.
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Meet the gang coz the boys are here, the boys to entertain you! :D ...

L-R: Jonesy's band Nonbeliever - Heywood, Jonesy, Acky plus Barney and the bronzed adonis clearly on his day off :wink: unfortunately Black Bobble had to leave before the photo was taken.

This is the only picture I have of the show, apart from one of 2 girls covering their faces, dont know who took that, shame, from what I can tell they looked hot!
black bobble
Knife
Knife

Post by black bobble »

Definitely a shame I wasn't there at the end (work in the morning etc)

It was a great evening but I feel it will be surpassed by the convention in September

Black Bobble

PS Jonesy's band was awesome