David Gilmour - On An Island session video

All discussion related specifically to David Gilmour.
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by The Gunner's Dream »

Thanks for sharing this Jambo. It was OK but I still think ''Out of the blue'' will always hold the place for the best Gilmour composition, with or without Floyd.

And Alan, you gotta problem with Les Pauls? 8) I'm not kidding but I guess it is understandable since most Les Paul's have a rather un-versatile sound, and versatility is certainly something a guitarist needs, but what the hell do I know, I'm only a drummer!
grelch
Knife
Knife

Post by grelch »

I doubt that this is a track from the new album. I'm pretty sure it's just studio 'noodling', as Gilmour likes to say. That's how he typically flushes out his ideas and riffs. Anyway, as nice as this jam is, it wouldn't make for a particularly interesting album.

My guess for the album is lots of songs that describe various arguments he's had with his wife or love interest with a handful of instrumentals thrown in: slow paced and less solo oriented than his previous 2.

I'll like it any which way.
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

Yucateco wrote:i have to admit i?m a bit disappointed. it?s just another Floyd-style blues without anything really special. I really hope he had some more inspiration for his new album....
so you are judging his entire album (not yet completeed) over one jam preview that probably will not appear on the album (at least not in the same form as the video). He just wanted to give everyone a pressie for buying tickets like mad :P
hummingman
Blade
Blade

Post by hummingman »

I personally think it's quite a good track, seeing as it's just an instrumental jam. Bodes well, I think.
ganaffe
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ganaffe »

Nice christmas present from mr. Gilmour!
Thanks a lot Jambo, for posting those links! I was afraid I already missed it.
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

jambo wrote:
Yucateco wrote:i have to admit i?m a bit disappointed. it?s just another Floyd-style blues without anything really special. I really hope he had some more inspiration for his new album....
so you are judging his entire album (not yet completeed) over one jam preview that probably will not appear on the album (at least not in the same form as the video). He just wanted to give everyone a pressie for buying tickets like mad :P
how could i judge an album thats not even out yet. But if he decides to give something out to the fans, calling it "Island Jam" before releasing an album called "On an Island", this track could (!) show the mood and style of the new album. Add Geldofs comments about the new stuff and there you go. But i?ll buy it anyway in march....
cRaB
Knife
Knife

Post by cRaB »

....mmmhhh..."on an island jam" revisits..."mudmen".

easy, catchy...but i like it.
Dovregubben
Axe
Axe

Post by Dovregubben »

I wonder if this is just an outtake from a longer version. Mabye there is a studioversion (a title track that is named just "Island") that starts with singing and then comes a solo/ intrumental part and then just fades out or comes back to the singing. But what we hear is just the intrumental part of a "live in studio" version - that's why it is called Island JAM.

Well - I just wonder....? Could this be the case? It fades in remenber.
Narek
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Narek »

For those of you guys who missed it, the video is up on http://www.video.google.com!!!!!
CleverName
Knife
Knife

Post by CleverName »

It's okay at best, nothing special.
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

I have edited my first post, adding the link to the Google stream of the video, if users do not wish to download it. If you do want to download it there is a link to the thread in which Keith has a link to a direct-download from the NPF servers on the first page.