Bob Klose plays on "On an Island"

All discussion related specifically to David Gilmour.
Ultraman
Axe
Axe

Bob Klose plays on "On an Island"

Post by Ultraman »

olzen
Judge!
Judge!

Post by olzen »

There's a very nice picture of him too:

I think it's awesome David has brought him in. I'm really looking forward to hear his contributions!
thrill-seeker
Hammer
Hammer

Post by thrill-seeker »

I'm hoping he appears at the RAH :shock: :D
A great load of guests are appearing on his album :D
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Wow. It is only after watching the Syd Barret & PF story and flipping through some books (mainly Nick's) about two weeks ago, that I have finally come to my senses, and accept that he was a real member of Pink Floyd. What is Dave doing, making a real PF album without Waters, but everybody else (now I won't be surprised if Syd & Nick show up) and then calling it a solo album?

Island Jam was very promising...
...this album is going to be very good I think.
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

I think it's really cool getting Bob Klose involved. Kind of brings things full circle. I think his guitar style somewhat contrasts Gilmours too, which should make it a nice addition.
zag
Judge!
Judge!

Post by zag »

Next on the line are two female saxplayers and a banjoman :lol:
but great to see B.Close involved too ! :D
db_intheflesh
Blade
Blade

Post by db_intheflesh »

Other than the two early Floyd demos that were made available a few months back (if memory serves), has Bob Klose recorded anything else since?

Don't mean to sound like I'm criticising the guy, I'm all for Gilmour bringing him back into the fold. I'm just curious if he's had any musical output in the last 40 years.
olzen
Judge!
Judge!

Post by olzen »

nosaj wrote:I won't be surprised if Syd & Nick show up
Nick, possibly. But not a chance in hell Syd will...
ganaffe
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ganaffe »

zag wrote:Next on the line are two female saxplayers and a banjoman :lol:
:lol:
db_intheflesh wrote:Other than the two early Floyd demos that were made available a few months back (if memory serves), has Bob Klose recorded anything else since?

Don't mean to sound like I'm criticising the guy, I'm all for Gilmour bringing him back into the fold. I'm just curious if he's had any musical output in the last 40 years.
I don't think he has recorded anything since "Lucy Leave"... which makes his appearance on Dave's soloalbum a little peculiar. I don't expect his contribution to be very noteworthy. It probably is more of a kind turn towards Bob Klose. But if you look at it that way, it's a nice move from David: another one time member get's to share a little of the Floyd legacy.

And it makes you wonder: If he brings in such oldtimers with little experience, it looks as if David really is letting go of the perfectionism a little. That could serve the album rather well. Maybe "On an Island" turns out to be a much more "free" or "loose" affair than any of his previous 'solo' outings, either with floyd or on his own.
Chris Moise
Knife
Knife

Post by Chris Moise »

By all accounts Bob Close was an excellent guitar player and (at the time) the best musician in PF..
Flame-Sky Diver
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Flame-Sky Diver »

Good news about Bob. Now I want Richard on the album, I wouldn't mind a song from him there.
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

Flame-Sky Diver wrote:Now I want Richard on the album, I wouldn't mind a song from him there.
Rick is on the album. I mean, he helped during the recording sessions.
MadJedi
Judge!
Judge!

Post by MadJedi »

it fits with the blues style sound of his new album, as klose is a great blues guitarist
Narek
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Narek »

olzen wrote:
nosaj wrote:I won't be surprised if Syd & Nick show up
Nick, possibly. But not a chance in hell Syd will...
Do you guys even think Syd can sing even half-assed? I was thinking about this and have no idea because I'm really not familiar with early Floyd.
olzen
Judge!
Judge!

Post by olzen »

It's possible he can, but he said goodbye to the music business ages ago. Not voluntarily, but because of his mental problems. Even if he would, he probably couldn't bear to pick up a guitar and face David (and Rick, for that matter). There is a reason why he has avoided contact with other humans so many years.