On An Island Re-Release - European and American Bonus DVDs

All discussion related specifically to David Gilmour.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

On An Island Re-Release - European and American Bonus DVDs

Post by Keith Jordan »

http://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/news/?y=06&id=1115_2

As previously reported, David Gilmour's third solo album On An Island is to be re-released along with a free bonus DVD. There are going to be two versions of the DVD: one for the American market from Sony BMG and one for the European Market from EMI.

The difference is that that European/EMI one has an extra video on the bonus DVD and has been re-packaged! The American verion has the bonus DVD shrinkwrapped to the original CD release.

Instore dates have gone back a week from previously advised, to: Europe ? Monday 27th November; the rest of the world ? Tuesday 28th November.

UK/Europe Version from EMI - (27th Nov 2006)

In Europe, via EMI, there will be the original album package in book form, with the DVD mounted on a circular tab inside the front cover. The cloth has a natty dark red colour with foil-blocked silver lettering, plus a red sticker advising the contents.

DVD Contents

1. Take A Breath (live from the Royal Albert Hall)
2. Astronomy Domine (live at Abbey Road)
and from the AOL Sessions, New York:
3. On An Island
4. This Heaven
5. Smile
6. Take A Breath
7. High Hopes
8. Comfortably Numb

American Version from SonyBMG - (28th Nov 2006)

In North America, via SonyBMG, the original album package will stay the same, with the DVD in a card wallet shrinkwrapped to the back of the album sleeve.

DVD Contents

1. On An Island
2. This Heaven
3. Smile
4. Take A Breath
5. High Hopes
6. Comfortably Numb
7. Astronomy Domine

American Press Release for Re-Release

On An Island is the third David Gilmour album and his first studio recording since Pink Floyd?s 1994 multi-platinum The Division Bell. From the moments of the sound collage that begins On An Island, you know it?s a special experience that not only bears comparison with the best of Pink Floyd, but also confirms their lead guitarist and singer as an outstanding solo artist. Here he reveals a personal vision and a breadth of styles ? folk, jazz, orchestral and rock ? brought together as a unified piece by lyrical guitar playing and instantly recognizable voice.

With orchestrations by the renowned Polish composer Zbigniew Preisner and a luminous production (assisted by Roxy Music?s Phil Manzanera), there is virtuosity aplenty. Crosby and Nash sing harmonies, Robert Wyatt plays the cornet, Caroline Dale the cello and Alasdair Molloy the glass harmonica. Pink Floyd?s Richard Wright guests on Hammond organ, while Gilmour sweeps and soars with often soul-piercing guitar and vocals. Yet the album never becomes grandiose. At it?s heart, it remains, a reflective piece, not least because of the lyrics.

Although Gilmour takes some writing credits, most go to writer Polly Samson, continuing a collaborative partnership that began with the Division Bell. The songs tell of shared experiences that evoke a breadth of moods, from the hauntingly beautiful title track ?On An Island? (with a guitar performance set to enter the Gilmour canon of classics) to the meditative ?The Blue? and ?A Pocketful of Stones,? as well as the heavier rock and blues numbers ?Take A Breath? and ?This Heaven.? In the spirit of intimacy, this album sees the debut of Gilmour on the saxophone, as well as contributions by contemporaries from his pre-Floyd days.

On An Island is a collection of songs and instruments that had its genus in the critically acclaimed 2002 London Festival Hall concerts. Gilmour has stepped out of his super-group to discover he?s still at his peak ? and he?s rightly pleased. ?Its my best and most personal work,? he says. ?Making it with my musician friends has been a positive experience on so many levels.? And touring it this spring can only take him to a new high.

The ten tracks on the album, which has been produced by David Gilmour, Phil Manzanera and Chris Thomas, are:

1. Castellorizon
2. On An Island
3. The Blue
4. Take a Breath
5. Red Sky At Night
6. This Heaven
7. Then I Close My Eyes
8. Smile
9. A Pocketful of Stones
10. Where We Start

DVD content below:

David Gilmour On An Island CD now available with bonus DVD ? a must have for fans!

Now fans can own David Gilmour?s electrifying live AOL Sessions performance including:

1. On An Island
2. This Heaven
3. Smile
4. Take A Breath
5. High Hopes
6. Comfortably Numb
7. Astronomy Domine

Plus, ?Take A Breath? from Royal Albert Hall.

Sources: [ Electric Artists & DavidGilmour.com ]
Last edited by Keith Jordan on Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Ballad Of Pink Floyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by The Ballad Of Pink Floyd »

there's too much about this one record!
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Sorry, could you pelase elaborate? I am not sure exactly what you mean?
The Ballad Of Pink Floyd
Hammer
Hammer

they are making HUGE promotion and 100 re-realases and re-issiuesa about this one album, witch I don't realy find so great and I don't think it is worth it.
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

It just looks like normal promotion to me. Would you prefer it if they didn't promote it at all and just released it without telling anybody in the hope that people will see it in a shop and buy it?
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

:lol: They are having another go at the Christmas market as well as promoting the DVD which will be coming out next year! They havent actually done that much promotion beyond a few TV/Internet/Magazine things.
The Ballad Of Pink Floyd
Hammer
Hammer

well I guess this will keep us going until the DVD commes out and then Roger's :)
fatoldbob
Judge!
Judge!

Post by fatoldbob »

The tour DVD is going to be worth the wait.
Chris Clarke
Blade
Blade

Post by Chris Clarke »

If you follow the links from main page you see that there are two extra bits :D which weren't on the first session eg "behind the scenes" and "on the set" 8) are these going to be on the dvd or will they be on the tracker or the echoes hub?

the link is http://music.aol.com/videos/sessions/se ... aultID=563

:oops: sorry only one extra named twice :oops:
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Bought my copy minutes ago!! :lol:

EDIT: Although the dvd tracks are the ones listed above under Europe.
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

Chris Clarke wrote:If you follow the links from main page you see that there are two extra bits :D which weren't on the first session eg "behind the scenes"
I asked that FEd guy the same thing. He said "nope, just songs, Bran"
Bummer.

I'm waiting my donkey with it...plus i bought RAH litho...couldnt resist clicking it.
fatoldbob
Judge!
Judge!

Post by fatoldbob »

Apparently there was a screw up with the manufacturing for EMI in Europe. I got mine at the Virgin Megastore this morning.

The DVD is smoking. I guess I'll not be getting any work done this AM.
grelch
Knife
Knife

Post by grelch »

I received my dvd last night. The sound throughout is tremendous, very pleased with that. I have to say, I'm not thrilled with the way the one track from Albert Hall was edited. It's edited in a very quick cut, multi angle method in an attempt to add some kind of dynamic tension, and to me it's just unnecessary. I just want to see the band play. The song is Take a Breath which is probably my least favorite song they played on that tour. Having said that, this is a good version of it. The band were very tight.

I love the Astronomy Domine from Abbey road sessions. That's the way I would love to see a concert film shot, and man did they knock that song dead. They play an extended guita solo, and it really does kick. The AOL sessions are good as well, but there's no surprises there since I had seen them already (except for the much improved sound).

One funny note re: the RAH Take a Breath cut: I noticed during my second watching of the song, during the first few bars of the song the camera pand behind the first 30 or so odd rows of the audience. Every time the lighting on stage flashes, you can see a vast field of bald spots in the audience. I mean virtually every geezer in the first 30 rows is bald. Talk about suddenly feeling my age.
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

I just got back from Gilmours blog.

Fuck! :x

Some EMI factory in Germany didnt supply the Anthill store with the dvds for online sale.
Another week of waiting. I feel like i'm fucking waiting my whole life for Gilmour products. First pulse now this.
I bet the same situation will happend with his bad ass rah dvd next year.
sagetavigirl
Blade
Blade

Post by sagetavigirl »

Living in the US really sucks if you love PF....... we get gypped.. lol Always a day late, and a dollar short.. lol