On An Island Re-Release - European and American Bonus DVDs

All discussion related specifically to David Gilmour.
User avatar
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Posts: 4959
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:33 am
Gender: Male
Location: Australia

Post by jambo »

Nah, i'm not saying its a reason to not buy it. This release will be the first high quality transfer to DVD, so I will definitely get it! It's just that i'm not as excited as say, the full 2DVD release next year, which will be super-high quality, with 5.1 surround sound and full concert.

It's the same as if PF release the BBC material, I will still buy it, even though i've had all of the bootlegs of it for years. I would be a LOT more excited if they were to release some '72, '75 or '77 concerts!
User avatar
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 16803
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2002 6:54 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Cheshire, England

Post by Keith Jordan »

I got an NTSC version of it and the picture looks horrible!! I want my PAL!!!
User avatar
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Posts: 4959
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:33 am
Gender: Male
Location: Australia

Post by jambo »

I got mine, and it was SONY-BMG strapped to the back in a card slip, but it had the extra tracks the Yanks didn't get :?.

The picture quality of the AOL sessions is not that much better than the HRV DVD stuff, although the sound is superb!
User avatar
Meneer Jansen
Knife
Knife
Posts: 269
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:29 am

Post by Meneer Jansen »

"I gotta admit that I'm a little bit confused" [R. Waters, Animals - Dogs (1977)]

Does any of you have a list of all the official audio and video recordings from the 'On an Island' album and tour?

1. There's the studio video stuff that was on the Gilmour website at the time the album came out (love the part with the orchesta!). Is there going to be a good quality release from it?

2. Then there's talk about a live DVD to be released in 2007. Is that going to be the Royal Albert Hall (RAH) material? The CD-single 'David Gilmour - Arnold Layne' that I have has two RAH versions of 'Arnold' (one with Bowie and one w/ Wright). Is Bowie going to be on the DVD? Were multiple shows filmed?

3. There's also the 'Live at Abey Road' video material. Is that going to be released on DVD? Has it already been aired on TV? For what purpose was it filmend? Is the BBC going to air it? Is there a (Harvested) bootleg of it?

4. The AOL stuff from the bonus DVD, was that intended for internet viewing? To promote AOL (America On Line?) or something?

I would very much like to watch all the Abbey Road stuff as well as the RAH stuff. Is Gilmour trying to dazzle us with video? ;)

P.S. And yet another silly question (forgive me; I'm getting old): is the 'Meltdown Concert' the same as the 2002 Gilmour DVD?
User avatar
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 16803
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2002 6:54 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Cheshire, England

Post by Keith Jordan »

Meneer Jansen wrote:"I gotta admit that I'm a little bit confused" [R. Waters, Animals - Dogs (1977)]

Does any of you have a list of all the official audio and video recordings from the 'On an Island' album and tour?

1. There's the studio video stuff that was on the Gilmour website at the time the album came out (love the part with the orchesta!). Is there going to be a good quality release from it?

2. Then there's talk about a live DVD to be released in 2007. Is that going to be the Royal Albert Hall (RAH) material? The CD-single 'David Gilmour - Arnold Layne' that I have has two RAH versions of 'Arnold' (one with Bowie and one w/ Wright). Is Bowie going to be on the DVD? Were multiple shows filmed?

3. There's also the 'Live at Abey Road' video material. Is that going to be released on DVD? Has it already been aired on TV? For what purpose was it filmend? Is the BBC going to air it? Is there a (Harvested) bootleg of it?

4. The AOL stuff from the bonus DVD, was that intended for internet viewing? To promote AOL (America On Line?) or something?

I would very much like to watch all the Abbey Road stuff as well as the RAH stuff. Is Gilmour trying to dazzle us with video? ;)

P.S. And yet another silly question (forgive me; I'm getting old): is the 'Meltdown Concert' the same as the 2002 Gilmour DVD?
If you are on about RoIOs, then you should visit http://www.pf-db.com

1 - No plans as far as I am aware but I imagine they would put the footage on the tour DVD as a special feature. If they dont, they are stupid!!

2 - I think two nights of the RAH were filmed. Also Poland I think. I imagine they will be piecing together the two nights of the RAH and probably have Poland Gdansk as a special feature.

3 - It is a Channel 4 recording for a series they are making about Abbey Road studios and the bands/music associated with it. I doubt it will be released officially hence it will probably end up on the NPF Tracker site!

4 - David and his band recorded the session to promote the new album on the internet. I imagine David bought the rights to sell it on DVD.


PS - The 2002 DVD is a recording of one of the nights from the Meltdown event.
User avatar
Sonic Destruction
Lord!!
Lord!!
Posts: 3563
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2004 6:31 am
Location: The Red Planet

Post by Sonic Destruction »

This does not appear to be available in New Zealand, thus resolving my dilemma as to whether or not I should buy it.
User avatar
Meneer Jansen
Knife
Knife
Posts: 269
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:29 am

Post by Meneer Jansen »

Pat Albertson wrote:This does not appear to be available in New Zealand, thus resolving my dilemma as to whether or not I should buy it.
Amazon.com/.co.uk? eBay? One of us uploading it for you (VERY illegal, but hey?). Good luck :)
User avatar
Meneer Jansen
Knife
Knife
Posts: 269
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:29 am

Post by Meneer Jansen »

@Keith Jordan: Thank you very much for all the explanations. I recon that Channel 4 (is that BBC Four? Is it a satellite only channel? I'm not British...) has not yet aired the Abbey Road series (which I would like to see as a whole, but that's a whole other story...)? :)
User avatar
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 16803
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2002 6:54 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Cheshire, England

Post by Keith Jordan »

Meneer Jansen wrote:@Keith Jordan: Thank you very much for all the explanations. I recon that Channel 4 (is that BBC Four? Is it a satellite only channel? I'm not British...) has not yet aired the Abbey Road series (which I would like to see as a whole, but that's a whole other story...)? :)
There are 5 "terrestrial channels" in the UK that are currently broadcast in analogue and digital, there are hundreds more channels on satellite or cable TV. The 5 terrestrial channels are BBC1, BBC2, ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5. Channel 4 are making the Abbey Road series and will be broadcast in early 2007. ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5 are nothing to do with the BBC.
User avatar
Meneer Jansen
Knife
Knife
Posts: 269
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:29 am

Post by Meneer Jansen »

Thanks again Keith. :)
Senna
Axe
Axe
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:03 am

Post by Senna »

2 - I think two nights of the RAH were filmed. Also Poland I think. I imagine they will be piecing together the two nights of the RAH and probably have Poland Gdansk as a special feature.


All three nights were filmed. :D