YOUR REVIEW: Live And In Session DVD

All discussion related specifically to David Gilmour.

How Would You Rate The DVD? (5 Best 1 Worst)

27%
36%
32%
No votes
5%

Total votes: 22

Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

Marvelous!

Just got my copy today via donkeymadafakinmail.
I bought that RAH litho too with it.
And they send a free tour programme with the package also.
So now I have two programmes (thanks draf :wink: )...but I think i'm gonna give one to my brother who whas also with me this year in Milan to see Dave.

Take a breath is very polished, aspecially vocals. They tried to copy the original sound from the album. But none the less, this song sounds fucking great. Very clear. Every instrument is on its place and what I whas most worried that the snair drum would be very empty and hollow...but I guess they saw that too.
So the rhytam section sounds good. Guy's bass is very precise with loads of midlle tones. Thats how I remember it from Milan.
RAH lighting looks great. Lots of additional lights for these gigs. Peaople in that hall where so lucky couse the other shows didnt have that kind of a lighting systems. Camera is very dynamic witch fits to that particular "dynamic" OAI track. I guess the camera wont be moving so much when on "red sky at night" I suppose.
The only thing that I resemble is loads of leveling and brightening during the dark sequencies. You can see that they "burned" the image in the postproduction and that the result is a very pixelised image on these dark parts of "take a breath". They should have left it like it is...or brighten it a litlle bit, not like this. Nevermind...
Astronomy domine...well, I like the performance, but for my taste the geetar should be more hard sounding with a litlle bit more gain. I love the camera work. Documentary style. Very clear picture quality.
All in all great, but I wouldnt say that it's one of the best live versions of that song. Astronomy domine in '94 sounded much better. This song needs Nick Mason behind drums. The new drummer is a great guy, very precise and fits nice On An Island, but when it comes to Floyd stuff...he simply cant sound right.
AOL part - sound is great, good takes of every song, but to be honest I expected a bit more when it comes to picture quality. I mean, I whas used to watch the crappy net file so I expected alot more then this from the dvd version. Looks like someone took a medium good divx and encoded it to a bigger format and then burned it.

But,
I love it.
Cant wait for the big ass RAH dvd to come out!
:mrgreen:
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

Is the DVD 5.1? Cause i already have the Harvested On An Island tv collection with AOL, Jools and Jay Leno, so the only thing I would buy the special edition for would be to get 5.1 sound versions!
fatoldbob
Judge!
Judge!

Post by fatoldbob »

jambo wrote:Is the DVD 5.1? Cause i already have the Harvested On An Island tv collection with AOL, Jools and Jay Leno, so the only thing I would buy the special edition for would be to get 5.1 sound versions!
Does it matter? If I had boots of something that is commercially released, I would either by the release or dump the boots. We all keep talking about how much we want Gilmour and Co. to open up the archives. We also have to be willing to support the releases that are made.

David went out of his way to make this available for people who had already bought the album on it's own.

Just my $.02.
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

I know, but all I was asking is "is it 5.1" :shock: . Doesn't matter, I bought it anyway. The sound quality (while not 5.1) is superb, so much better than the Harvested, but Take A Breath from RAH is too flashy. I'm gonna go fucking blind!
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

use these :arrow: 8)
fatoldbob
Judge!
Judge!

Post by fatoldbob »

jambo wrote:I know, but all I was asking is "is it 5.1" :shock: . Doesn't matter, I bought it anyway. The sound quality (while not 5.1) is superb, so much better than the Harvested, but Take A Breath from RAH is too flashy. I'm gonna go fucking blind!
Sorry if you thought I was busting on you. I agree TAB is too flashy. But the video quality from RAH is amazing and the rest of the show should be a treat.
AtomHeartMomma
Knife
Knife

Post by AtomHeartMomma »

DoctorFloyd wrote:Can I still buy this anywhere?
Have been unable to get a copy of this DVD in NYC and Amazon....without any luck. Also tried the website whhere Damnit bought his copy, but could not find the webite. Perhaps some can help me find this DVD.
Chris Clarke
Blade
Blade

Post by Chris Clarke »

AtomHeartMomma wrote:
DoctorFloyd wrote:Can I still buy this anywhere?
Have been unable to get a copy of this DVD in NYC and Amazon....without any luck. Also tried the website whhere Damnit bought his copy, but could not find the webite. Perhaps some can help me find this DVD.

Just got one from ebay only ?7 + p+p s0 ?8.50 in total cheaper than the shops :lol: with the cd ,so now I have two one to play one to save (so the nipple would fall off :lol: ) see other posts

Also does it contain the Q&A which was on aol?

Just for you http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/David-Gilmour-On- ... dZViewItem

just received it this morning from seller no Q&A
Tenniru
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tenniru »

I'm watching it right now for the first time.

1. TAKE A BREATH
-This is certainly diffirent from when I saw the Mermaid show in theatres early in the year. More flashy lights. This is my first glimpse at the DSoT/PULSE band (well, most of it) since I saw the films between the Mermaid and now, so I'm recognizing people; it's cool.
The improvization alone awesome.

2. ASTRONOMY DOMINE
-There's a few more vocals on the opening speech. No effects or pyrotechnics, but we can see closeups on the bandmembers' faces. You can see Rick with an expression on his face that shows how I felt knowing this song returned to the setlist after Syd died.
Jon Carin looks amazingly unprofessional for the first time ever hear. Unshaven and in a hawaiian t-shirt.
This incarnation is more similar to the versions existing between '67 and '68 than '94 or '69-on takes. Well, the arrangement; Dave's solo is still the '94 style, although he seems more willing to launch into a Syd-shred (his expression while he plays it is identical to that of mine when I hear it).
Despite the lack of any special lighting, it's awesome to see Astronomy Domine come home after 39 years (even with only one of it's original musicians there).

3. ON AN ISLAND
-Is it me, or did Dave lose weight on the tour? He seems bigger here than earlier on the disc.
A nice performance, with absolutely no special lighting.
Apparently a mildly (mildly) inferior set of cameras were used for this show, and the AOL MUSIC insignia is still in the bottom.
The performance picks up significantly when Dave takes the solo, by the way. Wow.
By the way, there's a recurring factor here I've noticed through the whole DVD. Rick seems entirely confident in his keyboards, playing whole songs unaccompanied for the first time since 1977. He has good reason; his Hammond is just amazing. Jon Carin just plays a little slide guitar.

4. THIS HEAVEN
I don't like this song.
It's interesting to see it, though. Rick is still on fire, and Guy Pratt has walked over to a thin electric stand-up bass.
The most interesting thing to see is that Dave has picked up a Goldtop much like the one Snowy White has. He should use it more often; it sounds unique.

5. SMILE
By all means, this should be boring. The song stands up on its' own through headphones with no visuals, but watching the band play it without anything going on should hurt the song. The 2002 version was better.
I really like this version, though.
The synthesized strings sound amazingly real, David's guitar is wonderful, Rick adds an awesome layer of organ to the song, and the vocals sound more calm here than in the studio.

6. TAKE A BREATH
Again, but with less flashy lights. The performance seems more energetic, though; and Guy Pratt is playing his bass with distortion and slaping ala One Slip, which I don't think he did on track one.
He also plays (at a very high note) very quickly, much like Roger did in 1970 takes of Astronomy Domine.

7. HIGH HOPES
Always a good thing to include, and this is one of my favorite incarnations of it. It's not quite as good as PULSE or the 2002 version, but the guitar is awesome.
Also, Jon Carins' synth work is AMAZING. Either that or he taped the orchestra earlier and is playing it back.

8. COMFORTABLY NUMB
Because everybody wants to see CN #541301 instead of Echoes or something.
That's a bit unfair. I guess they don't feel like spoiling the better things on the coming DVD, and this is the only official version where Rick does Roger's part. Also, for some reason this is the most inspired take of the song I've heard for a very long time. Maybe it's because it's so punctual, apparently eschewing the "light/dark" arrangement Gilmour has insisted on since 1979 in favor of a faster, lighter spoken section. It's like the solo Roger versions, but the chorus sounds right and the guitar is competent. (This applies to versions that don't have Kilminster and White dueting, which is awesome... my god, I'll never forget September 23.)

In conclusion? If you feel like giving your first-pressing OAI to someone for Christmas and getting this, do it. I did it. It's a nice bonus, and the first track gives us a wonderful taste of what's to come on the full concert DVD. The RAH is filmed from all the right angles with plenty of pretty lights (no lasers or Mr. Screen, sadly).
Many fascinating tour highlights are probably withheld to prevent spoiling it.
I just hope they did May 31st, not any other dates; that way we get Pink Floyd on the last few songs.
My one problem with this disc: I'd prefer they used the Mermaid show for this. It had more interesting visuals. I also can imagine them avoiding a second Take A Breath (just toss in the Jools Holland Arnold Layne, guys!).
The AOL sessions do have one advantage; they are very intimately filmed, just as good as the amazing Talking Heads' Stop Making Sense but without the common inability for anyone to ever relate to David Byrne (despite his ordinary-person lyrics.)