David Gilmour - Live In Gdansk DVD Cover Revealed

All discussion related specifically to David Gilmour.
momentaryhawking

Re: David Gilmour - Live In Gdansk DVD Cover Revealed

Post by momentaryhawking »

Clapton is doing a 9 city tour in the U.S. in support of nothing right now. I don't think it matters if it's an old "new" release Yucateco. This is positive news.
User avatar
mosespa
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11432
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2002 5:54 pm
Location: In the editing bay...working on the final cut...

Re: David Gilmour - Live In Gdansk DVD Cover Revealed

Post by mosespa »

Ah, but Gilmour is far more lazy than Clapton.

Gilmour just finished a tour...he's not about to go back out. Especially if there's no new album to promote. That's why he hasn't reconstituted PF for a tour...no new album equals no reason to tour.
User avatar
omnicron
Knife
Knife
Posts: 479
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:54 pm
Location: Chasing after falling stars and forever "On the Run"

Re: David Gilmour - Live In Gdansk DVD Cover Revealed

Post by omnicron »

Im not trying to say criticism is rude, but calling him things such as Old fat gut and things of that nature (personal attacks on his age, weight etc) are simply rude and childish, something i would expect from a 10 year old.

I see alot about the bootleg issue brings out harsh feelings, but all i ask is to consider that some may find overweight remarks offensive.
Was his actions (or his managments action) messed up for the bootleg issue? Yes. It was, but that is no reason to call him names based on physical appearance?
He legally owns the rights to the music and bootlegging is in fact illegal.
It clearly states he does not allow recorders during his concerts.
Those are he wishes and he has the right to say stop.
does that mean i agree? No. But does it give me or anyone else the right to call him names related to age weight and such due to it? No.
Is he acting like an asshole for the C&D order? perhaps. he was not being hurt by the free trade of bootlegs, and it surely was not taking any money away from him and probably helped to reduce the amount of illegal sales, but it is within his right to ask for it to be stopped.
Just becouse he said no more bootlegs does he deserve to be called fat? no.
is he acting like an asshole out of touch with the world today, perhaps.

I wasnt trying to single anyone out in my previous post, I just think it hurts this site by name calling and puts the site, and the owner in a bad light for that being allowed and feel the admin did the right thing to put a stop to it.

Call him what you wish based on his action, but his being "old" and "fat" has nothing to do with the reason he stopped the bootleg trading here, so why is the personal attacks on his appearance needed? Simply becouse your mad you cant trade bootlegs? you still can, just keep it low key.
back in the 80s record fair vendors went to jail all the time for bootlegs, some of you are probably too young to remeber those days.
Im sure nobody would mind saying things such as "hes an asshole for what he did/does" but calling him old, fat and other such remarks is very immature.

I have no problems with anyone here, and i hope nobody took real offence to what i have said.
I simply wish people would make remarks related to the actual subject and not appearance.
User avatar
mosespa
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11432
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2002 5:54 pm
Location: In the editing bay...working on the final cut...

Re: David Gilmour - Live In Gdansk DVD Cover Revealed

Post by mosespa »

omnicron wrote:1. Im not trying to say criticism is rude, but calling him things such as Old fat gut and things of that nature (personal attacks on his age, weight etc) are simply rude and childish, something i would expect from a 10 year old.

2. I see alot about the bootleg issue brings out harsh feelings, but all i ask is to consider that some may find overweight remarks offensive.

3. Was his actions (or his managments action) messed up for the bootleg issue? Yes. It was, but that is no reason to call him names based on physical appearance?
1. I don't disagree with you...but I also have to point out that that's something that YOU would expect from a ten year old. I'm afraid that YOU don't speak for everyone else. I'm not suggesting that this is your goal, but this part of your comment suggests that you think everything should conform to your personal expectations...and that's just an unrealistic world view, I feel.

2. If other people take offense at something that someone says about another person entirely, it suggests to me that those people taking offense have nothing better to do with their lives than to involve themselves in other peoples'.

What right does anyone have to take offense at something that someone says about ANYONE other than them? For example: What right do you have to get upset about what anyone says about Gilmour? It's not you that's being talked about...so please, put your emotions away and save them for a time when someone's attacking you.

Do you try to take credit whenever someone praises Gilmour? I would say that you don't...so why do you take offense whenever someone slams him?

Again...it's not YOU who are under discussion.

3. No, but his very celebrity IS grounds. If he doesn't want to be subjected to public ridicule, he should step out of the spotlight.

By the way, I'm not offended by anything you've said...similarly, I also feel that there's no reason for you to feel offended by anything I've just said. :D

You, however, may feel otherwise. *shrug*
User avatar
oz1701
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Posts: 8093
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:27 am
Location: Mostly Harmless

Re: David Gilmour - Live In Gdansk DVD Cover Revealed

Post by oz1701 »

all i can say is:

1. it is not name calling but an accurate discription as he is in fact old and fat in the tummy therefore old fat guts is appropriate.

2. it is obvious that it is not being used in a disrespectful way - im sure OFG would find it mildly riseable if he knew.

3. as long as we still buy his albums im sure he doesnt care what we call him.
User avatar
omnicron
Knife
Knife
Posts: 479
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:54 pm
Location: Chasing after falling stars and forever "On the Run"

Re: David Gilmour - Live In Gdansk DVD Cover Revealed

Post by omnicron »

mosespa wrote:
omnicron wrote:1. Im not trying to say criticism is rude, but calling him things such as Old fat gut and things of that nature (personal attacks on his age, weight etc) are simply rude and childish, something i would expect from a 10 year old.

2. I see alot about the bootleg issue brings out harsh feelings, but all i ask is to consider that some may find overweight remarks offensive.

3. Was his actions (or his managments action) messed up for the bootleg issue? Yes. It was, but that is no reason to call him names based on physical appearance?
1. I don't disagree with you...but I also have to point out that that's something that YOU would expect from a ten year old. I'm afraid that YOU don't speak for everyone else. I'm not suggesting that this is your goal, but this part of your comment suggests that you think everything should conform to your personal expectations...and that's just an unrealistic world view, I feel.

2. If other people take offense at something that someone says about another person entirely, it suggests to me that those people taking offense have nothing better to do with their lives than to involve themselves in other peoples'.

What right does anyone have to take offense at something that someone says about ANYONE other than them? For example: What right do you have to get upset about what anyone says about Gilmour? It's not you that's being talked about...so please, put your emotions away and save them for a time when someone's attacking you.

Do you try to take credit whenever someone praises Gilmour? I would say that you don't...so why do you take offense whenever someone slams him?

Again...it's not YOU who are under discussion.

3. No, but his very celebrity IS grounds. If he doesn't want to be subjected to public ridicule, he should step out of the spotlight.

By the way, I'm not offended by anything you've said...similarly, I also feel that there's no reason for you to feel offended by anything I've just said. :D

You, however, may feel otherwise. *shrug*
I do agree with you for the most part, however the constant spam (for lack of a better word) of it gets old when nearly every thread about has those comments from the same people over and over again espescially when the reason given for the comments like "old fat gut" is becouse of a C&D order, or one persons opinion of a "useless" live CD (that im sure many will be buying, I know I will) and other such personal opinions.
it gives a bad impression to the general visitor or a casual visitor like myself.
I am a big fan of ALL members of the band, and that doesnt mean i like everything they do, say or release but at the same time the constant snide remarks are tough to read and sift past.
sure i can block people, but like BP molder i usually find his posts good and dont want to block him, i just dont want to read the old fat remarks on every other thread.
Sure he (gilmour) is getting older, and has apparently been eating very well (being Married will do that to you) but once someone has stated the feelings, why the need to keep saying it over and over and over?

anyway, I am looking forward to the live CD release, it will make a nice addition to my collection and I hope to see a live dvd of the show as it was a great concert.
I will be suprised if a dvd doesnt come along also as each member of the band had a video feed all to themselves and it would have been easy to record and release.
Yes we have RTN already, but how many of us have multiple bootlegs of the tour? what is the difference of him releasing multiple shows offically? you have to buy it? thats why he/his management cracked down on bootlegs perhaps?
The bootleg circulating from that date is really good and even with post production an official dvd would still be a nice addition for viewing.
Not that im too crazy about on an island, but i really enjoyed the Floyd portion of the shows and in this time of no floyd but rereleases most already have multiple versions of, an alternate concert on dvd would be nicer then another rerelease of DSOTM or a shitty box set like oh by the way was.
Last edited by omnicron on Fri May 09, 2008 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
corie
Judge!
Judge!
Posts: 2444
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:48 am
Gender: Male
Location: Someplace

Re: David Gilmour - Live In Gdansk DVD Cover Revealed

Post by corie »

well put :D
User avatar
mosespa
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11432
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2002 5:54 pm
Location: In the editing bay...working on the final cut...

Re: David Gilmour - Live In Gdansk DVD Cover Revealed

Post by mosespa »

With all due respect, Omnicron; I think you're trying to make a mountain out of a molehill.

You make it sound like every single post anyone puts up contains a slam against Gilmour.

If you like, I'll be more than happy to type "OFG" into the search function and see exactly how many posts pop up over how long of a period of time. I'll be happy to do this because I believe that it will show that it doesn't happen anywhere NEAR as often as you're making it sound.
User avatar
corie
Judge!
Judge!
Posts: 2444
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:48 am
Gender: Male
Location: Someplace

Re: David Gilmour - Live In Gdansk DVD Cover Revealed

Post by corie »

that might be intresting to see
User avatar
omnicron
Knife
Knife
Posts: 479
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:54 pm
Location: Chasing after falling stars and forever "On the Run"

Re: David Gilmour - Live In Gdansk DVD Cover Revealed

Post by omnicron »

mosespa wrote:With all due respect, Omnicron; I think you're trying to make a mountain out of a molehill.

You make it sound like every single post anyone puts up contains a slam against Gilmour.

If you like, I'll be more than happy to type "OFG" into the search function and see exactly how many posts pop up over how long of a period of time. I'll be happy to do this because I believe that it will show that it doesn't happen anywhere NEAR as often as you're making it sound.
its not that, but the matter of the same group of people saying the same things over and over and the reasons they give only make it worse.
take the Bluray HDTV thread in Gen discussion for example, what does that topic have to do with Gilmour being old and fat? Gilmours RTN is mentioned and all of a sudden a few people took the oppertunity to bash his personal appearance rather then his actions or music.
Thats all im trying to say. shit talk his actions and music all you want, but why do people need to make it personal?
Not that it affects me or really even matters when compared to Osama Bin Bush in office, $4.00 a gallon gas, shitty economy and other major world issues, but a little less personal bashing would give this site a nicer, friendlier atmosphere.
User avatar
bpmolder
Lord!!
Lord!!
Posts: 4393
Joined: Sun May 11, 2003 2:52 am
Location: The State Of Peace!

Re: David Gilmour - Live In Gdansk DVD Cover Revealed

Post by bpmolder »

You're picking your battles, omnicron, that's all. As far as I am concerned, as far as my own comments go, if you choose not to take them in the spirit in which I intend them, which is joking and not malicious, just don't read my posts. I would much prefer that to seeing you spam the forum with whining about it. Fair enough?

Personally, on the DVD note, I will not be interested in it at all, as it is just the same stuff rehashed. Solo stuff mixed with selected Floyd stuff. Same shit. I watched about the first 10 minutes of the RTN video and found it to be the same as the Meltdown performance with the exception of different guests coming out to perform with him. Same shit, just reheated and re-served.
User avatar
mosespa
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11432
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2002 5:54 pm
Location: In the editing bay...working on the final cut...

Re: David Gilmour - Live In Gdansk DVD Cover Revealed

Post by mosespa »

omnicron wrote:1. its not that, but the matter of the same group of people saying the same things over and over and the reasons they give only make it worse.

2. take the Bluray HDTV thread in Gen discussion for example, what does that topic have to do with Gilmour being old and fat?

3. Gilmours RTN is mentioned and all of a sudden a few people took the oppertunity to bash his personal appearance rather then his actions or music.

4. Thats all im trying to say. shit talk his actions and music all you want, but why do people need to make it personal?

5. Not that it affects me or really even matters when compared to Osama Bin Bush in office, $4.00 a gallon gas, shitty economy and other major world issues, but a little less personal bashing would give this site a nicer, friendlier atmosphere.
1. So, you think that people explaining the reason that they use "OFG" is because he IS those things makes things worse somehow?

Fact: David Gilmour is in his sixties. That doesn't have to be "old" but his demeanor becoming more and more crotchety as he ages indicates that he is definitely in an "old" frame of mind.

Fact: David Gilmour is fat in the gut area of his body.

It's not like we're calling him "Middle-aged Fag Hag" (which would all be untrue, by the way) and shortening it to MFH.

2. Probably because you can see the cellulite rippling under his t-shirt in HD?

3. Yeah...because it's also a VIDEO release, so you can SEE the VISUAL aspect of things. See point One for the rest.

4. Because he's a celebrity...he's famous. That's what happens.

5. Yeah, but it isn't going to stop.
User avatar
corie
Judge!
Judge!
Posts: 2444
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:48 am
Gender: Male
Location: Someplace

Re: David Gilmour - Live In Gdansk DVD Cover Revealed

Post by corie »

Fact: David Gilmour is fat in the gut area of his body. 2. Probably because you can see the cellulite rippling under his t-shirt in HD

\
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: OMG THATS FUNNY
User avatar
omnicron
Knife
Knife
Posts: 479
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:54 pm
Location: Chasing after falling stars and forever "On the Run"

Re: David Gilmour - Live In Gdansk DVD Cover Revealed

Post by omnicron »

mosespa wrote:
omnicron wrote:1. its not that, but the matter of the same group of people saying the same things over and over and the reasons they give only make it worse.

2. take the Bluray HDTV thread in Gen discussion for example, what does that topic have to do with Gilmour being old and fat?

3. Gilmours RTN is mentioned and all of a sudden a few people took the oppertunity to bash his personal appearance rather then his actions or music.

4. Thats all im trying to say. shit talk his actions and music all you want, but why do people need to make it personal?

5. Not that it affects me or really even matters when compared to Osama Bin Bush in office, $4.00 a gallon gas, shitty economy and other major world issues, but a little less personal bashing would give this site a nicer, friendlier atmosphere.
1. So, you think that people explaining the reason that they use "OFG" is because he IS those things makes things worse somehow?
5. Yeah, but it isn't going to stop.
1. the reasons given for the old fat gut comments were becouse of the C&D order and people being mad about it and his "useless" live cd release, by one member here anyway.
5. The sites owner/admin seems to think different.
do you see that you are saying it would in fact make the site appear nicer and friendlier if it stopped, but yet you dont care enough for the site to do that?
nice attitude for a mod.
Last edited by omnicron on Fri May 09, 2008 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
corie
Judge!
Judge!
Posts: 2444
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:48 am
Gender: Male
Location: Someplace

Re: David Gilmour - Live In Gdansk DVD Cover Revealed

Post by corie »

OMG enough please take it to a private room already