David Gilmour's Fat Old Beach Hut

All discussion related specifically to David Gilmour.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

David Gilmour's Fat Old Beach Hut

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

Pink Floyd star David Gilmour must pull down a beach hut at his listed £3 million seafront mansion or face prosecution.
The local council has told the rock musician that the yellow hut he uses to house his bicycles is an eyesore in the conservation area at Hove, East Sussex, and has to go.
Gilmour's wife, writer Polly Samson, appealed over the decision but lost.
A Brighton and Hove City Council spokeswoman said in a statement: "We have had a complaint from a member of the public and are legally obliged to act.
"As the planning appeal has failed, we have told the owners that the hut must be gone by October 1.
"If that doesn't happen, we would have no option but to issue an enforcement notice.
"Failure to comply with that means either prosecution or the council may remove the hut and charge the householder."
The guitarist's adopted son, Charlie, 21, is serving a 16-month jail term after swinging from a Union flag on the Cenotaph and admitting to throwing a bin at the Prince of Wales's car during the student fees protests in London last December
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/ ... 51226.html

And they had to mention his adopted son didn't they? I admit when I heard Dave Gilmour's name mentioned on the news just now I thought "WAH! HE'S DEAD! HE'S- oh..."

East Sussex sounds a pretty swinging place if they object to a yellow beach hut for bicycles! (Awaits NPF members from East Sussex to rain down on me)
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Re: David Gilmour's Fat Old Beach Hut

Post by J Ed »

Pink Floyd star David Gilmour must pull down a beach hut at his listed £3 million seafront mansion or face prosecution.
The local council has told the rock musician that the yellow hut he uses to house his bicycles is an eyesore in the conservation area at Hove, East Sussex, and has to go.)
not sure precisely what they mean by "a conservation area", but sounds like he's run afoul of a zoning bylaw
if he were living in an area with an official heritage designation he would be restricted in the renovations or additions he could make to his property, having to conform with the period architecture (at least thats the way such laws work over here)
but "a conservation area", especially on the waterfront, sounds more like theres environmental zoning on part of his property, which would mean its almost like he's living within a park, and therefor cannot disturb the natural environment

lots of property owners get all antigovernment when theyre told development on their land will be restricted by either of these types of zoning, yet its the carefully preserved period architecture and/or natural environment that gives that property so much value in the first place

EDIT: here it is, it is a heritage designation he's gone and lobbed a rubbish bin at, the raving anarchist
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I think it looks very nice! With the smell of the sea air and sound of the waves I think this is an excellent addition to the locality!
David Gilmour's Bright Yellow Beach Hut.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

I gotta admit thats not what I was picturing when I read the words "seafront mansion"
looks like he's surrounded by apartments and alleyways
Andreysonj
Axe
Axe

Post by Andreysonj »

And if they just painted it white?
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

They have erected a structure without planning permission, it is not the colour that is the issue.
Andreysonj
Axe
Axe

Post by Andreysonj »

Wow, OK, now I understand it..
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

Hmm. 2011 hasn't been a good year for the Gilmours, has it? He should autograph the hut and auction it off for charity.

This is another pic of the house (link).
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Jeez the English get very tetchy and village-green-preservation-society-y about some pretty boring areas. I'm singling out the English because here in Scotland we at least have a few river basin management plans in order and a better outdoor access code whereas our Southern cousins seem to try and freeze everything in aspic whilst (perversely) letting some truely shocking developments get the go ahead.... What is this over-arching conservation zone anyway? I thought Brighton was where swingers, drunks and perverts went on holiday for low-rent tittilating thrills. Ach well!

I hardly think Gilmour's beach hut is a perversion of what looks to be poorly maintained faded seaside fixtures unless Brighton is being preserved as a shrine of how budget airlines destroyed the holiday trade "back 'ome"... could just be me.

Its funny, I doubt the scenery of that area is exactly as it was even 100 years ago, and to try and preserve a coastline that is ultimately being eroded by the sea is a bit stupid but typical of the 'put a fence around it and don't let the filthy humans go near it' attitude that certain (lonely) ecologists like to throw on anything they perceive as having any habitat, landscape, heritage or environmental value.

I feel sorry for all the people freezing away in their houses that MUST have single glazed windows because the National Trust insist on preserving the 'character' of poorly designed energy inefficient houses at all costs. <.8.>
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Keith Jordan wrote:They have erected a structure without planning permission, it is not the colour that is the issue.
I don't know about the planning laws in the UK, but being an architect back here I can assure you that temporary objects like this one don't require a planning permission. The issue here is the conservation area, in which you can't erect any kind of object or even replace a roofing tile without a special permission from a competent body.
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

Dear lord, what breaking news!
Yellow is the colour that prevails in this article.
This species has really amused itself to death.
PooF
Hammer
Hammer

Post by PooF »

Jimi Dean Barrett wrote:
The guitarist's adopted son, Charlie, 21, is serving a 16-month jail term after swinging from a Union flag on the Cenotaph and admitting to throwing a bin at the Prince of Wales's car during the student fees protests in London last December
Sorry to be OT and pedantic to boot, but to be clear: the Cenotaph incident did not form part of the charge against lil Charlie.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

PooF wrote: Sorry to be OT and pedantic to boot, but to be clear: the Cenotaph incident did not form part of the charge against lil Charlie.
Tell it to the Belfast Telegraph! Although this makes me wonder, how long has Gilmour had the bike hut? And is the decision to have it knocked down related to Charlie's imprisonment? The Queen did warn Diana she was dealing with "Dark forces". Have these "dark forces" (Basically unelected Freemasonry cults with too much money and influence) now having a pop at the Gilmours?
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Jimi Dean Barrett wrote:And is the decision to have it knocked down related to Charlie's imprisonment?
Let's get this straight, are the Gilmours living in a 21st century United Kingdom or 1938 Stalinist Russia?
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Hudini wrote:
Jimi Dean Barrett wrote:And is the decision to have it knocked down related to Charlie's imprisonment?
Let's get this straight, are the Gilmours living in a 21st century United Kingdom or 1938 Stalinist Russia?
Well there isn't much difference if you get on the wrong side of petty, bureaucratic councillors! :-; (which it appears the Gilmours have)