Tracks of My Years Featuring David Gilmour BBC Radio 2

All discussion related specifically to David Gilmour.
FreeFour
Knife
Knife

Tracks of My Years Featuring David Gilmour BBC Radio 2

Post by FreeFour »

Heads up : This week Radio 2 are replaying David Gilmour's " tracks of my years" everyday this week as part of the Ken Bruce radio show.

BBC Radio 2 Ken Bruce broadcasts weekdays in the UK from 9.30AM to 12PM

For those not familiar, a guest talks about his/her favourite songs. For those who didn't hear it first time round, worth a listen.

They are billing this as part of their build up to this weekends airing of the brand new Pink Floyd Play "Darkside" (Monday 26th Aug 10PM) I believe they are also planning to replay some other Floyd related goodies over the weekend.

BBC Radio 2 UK 88 to 91 FM
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Tracks of My Years Featuring David Gilmour BBC Radio 2

Post by Keith Jordan »

There's that Darkside play on Radio 2 coming shortly that I need to write about on NPF. I shall get something sorted later. 8)
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

For us who will still miss it, for some reason, could someone please post a list of David's choices? :)
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

That schedule on BBC Radio 2 has me confused. Is it playing at 9:30am for all this week and repeating the same programme??

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006wr34/episodes/guide
Bigmanpigman
Knife
Knife

Post by Bigmanpigman »

moom wrote:For us who will still miss it, for some reason, could someone please post a list of David's choices? :)

I actually happened to be listening this morning, and I will try and catch the rest this week. The recording originally went out in 2006 and is being replayed in relation to the 40th anniversary of DSOTM. Even the short piece I caught today was fascinating. The first track was 'God Only Knows' by The Beach Boys. Dave said he enjoyed their music when Brian Wilson moved away from 'Surfing songs', and that the production on 'God Only Knows' was superb (which I have to agree with). Second up was Hendrix with 'The Wind Cries Mary'. Dave told a fantastic story about walking into a club called Blazes in London in 1966 and Jimi was playing....."I knew there was something a bit special going on as The Beatles were in one corner of the room, and The Stones in another". He said he was so knocked out by what he had seen he went out the next day to buy some of Jimi's records, only to find out that, at that point, he hadn't released any.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Thank you kindly :)
Bigmanpigman wrote:"I knew there was something a bit special going on as The Beatles were in one corner of the room, and The Stones in another".
You bet 8)
Bigmanpigman
Knife
Knife

Post by Bigmanpigman »

Dave's choices today - Kate Bush, 'The Man With the Child in his Eyes' (no surprise there then) and Lead Belly - I think the track was called 'Rock Island Line'. He was apparently listening to Lead Belly from the age of 12. We all know about the Kate Bush connection, but he did put a bit of detail on it, saying that a friend had brought demos of three songs, self penned of course, when Kate was 15. Dave said he thought any record company would probably not recognise her quality from the demos, so he paid for them to be properly produced and arranged before presenting them to EMI, who signed her up immediately.
Bigmanpigman
Knife
Knife

Post by Bigmanpigman »

Keith Jordan wrote:That schedule on BBC Radio 2 has me confused. Is it playing at 9:30am for all this week and repeating the same programme??

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006wr34/episodes/guide

Ken Bruce generally does the 'Tracks of My Years' piece around 11.40am each day.
FreeFour
Knife
Knife

Post by FreeFour »

Today's choices were The Kinks Waterloo Sunset & Ohio by Crosby,Stills,Nash & Young (great song!)
17Gnus
Embryo
Embryo

Post by 17Gnus »

Dave Gilmour - Tracks Of My Years

Duration: 11:46

Pink Floyd's David Gilmour joins Ken Bruce to choose his Tracks Of My Years.

This was first broadcast in 2006 . We are re-running it to coincide with Darkside, the BBC Radio 2 play that’s broadcast on Bank Holiday Monday to mark the 40th anniversary of Pink Floyd’s landmark album The Dark Side Of The Moon.

Tracklisting:
God Only Knows – The Beach Boys
The Wind Cries Mary – The Jimi Hendrix Experience
The Man With The Child In His Eyes – Kate Bush
The Rock Island Line – Leadbelly
You’ve Got To Hide Your Love Away – The Beatles
Dancing In The Street – Martha Reeves & The Vandellas
Waterloo Sunset – The Kinks
Ohio – Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
Heartbreak Hotel – Elvis Presley
I Put A Spell On You – Nina Simone

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01fh920
Probably not available to those o/s the UK :?
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

It's working for me in Ireland so maybe that means it'll work for people in other countries?
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by moom »

Big thanks to Keith and all who provided song titles :)