Rattle That Lock is like another old song

All discussion related specifically to David Gilmour.
NineToTheSky
Embryo
Embryo

Rattle That Lock is like another old song

Post by NineToTheSky »

Has anyone noticed how very similar David's new single is to Count Me Out by The Foster Bothers from 1977? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEukjzfPxBo
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Rattle That Lock is like another old song

Post by Keith Jordan »

The bass line, some of the production and style are quite similar - I like it! 8)

There are only so many notes a musician can choose to play from so I guess every song will sound like a swarm of other songs now that music has largely been "done"! hahaha :lol:
Bluenose
Axe
Axe

Post by Bluenose »

NineToTheSky wrote:Has anyone noticed how very similar David's new single is to Count Me Out by The Foster Bothers from 1977? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEukjzfPxBo
Can't see it myself, but it reminded me of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UVNT4wvIGY - a song and video that I liked very much. I can't recall the Foster Brothers, but I enjoyed that song.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

I hear a hint of Love Pain and Sorrow by Snowy White. same bare-bones pub band style, perhaps not as cringeworthy lyrics. except on snowy's song gilmour's solo is better than on rtl.

definitely a departure from on an island (album). on an island's opener could be a floyd track (style, with the snippets of things to come a la speak to me and signs of life and cluster one and things left unsaid), and an orchestra is heard before the song closes. the title track then opens with a gentle flow of many instruments working together and builds even more. perhaps RTL is a simpler album in that regard.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Don't forget that OAI (track) was also the album's leading single and it was indeed pretty indicative of the album's overall mood. Although I do like it, I'm hoping the album won't be as upbeat as the song.
UsNotThem
Blade
Blade

Post by UsNotThem »

Hudini wrote:. Although I do like it, I'm hoping the album won't be as upbeat as the song.
I don't think it will, considering one song is about David's mother's battle with dementia.
ChickenStu
Axe
Axe

Post by ChickenStu »

Reminded me of Another Brick In The Wall Part 2 a bit actually.
Follix
Knife
Knife

Post by Follix »

I don't see the link between both... Except the solo is gilmourish...