RAH Gigs 23-25th September 2015

All discussion related specifically to David Gilmour.
metanoia
Embryo
Embryo

Re: RAH Gigs 23-25th September 2015

Post by metanoia »

I took a photo right at the very end and it's time stamped 22:40, so i reckon if you run straight out you'll make it in time.

Absolutely cracking night, the new album sounds fantastic live. Can't wait to go again on Friday <ii>
Cowards
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Cowards »

Be careful though - it's about a 10 minute walk from RAH to South Ken tube station. So you'll likely only get there for about 11pm if you get out right at the end, and have to make your way down the stairs.

And then I'd say it's about 20 mins on the Tube to Kings Cross, bearing in mind you have to go up quite a few escalators to get from the Tube to the actual train you're getting.

So be prepared to run.

As for my last night's show review, honestly it was fairly mediocre. Just didn't blow me away at all. Hopefully it'll improve on second listen, but Pink Floyd inc. are really fucking committed to block any video from last night. Bastards.
andrewyorks74
Embryo
Embryo

Post by andrewyorks74 »

Cheers Metanoia and Cowards.
Much appreciated!
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

What an amazing gig. I'll post more later but it was a brilliant experience again.

Listening to everyone gush over how good it was on the way out was fantastic too.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

Telegraph's review

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/what-t ... ll-review/

While it's a glowing review I do agree with 'The girl in the yellow dress' being a bit of a misfire due to it's place in the setlist. I reckon it has to be much earlier in the show.
metanoia
Embryo
Embryo

Post by metanoia »

I just think he didn't sing it very well, he really seemed to be struggling with his voice a bit through the whole song. It was certainly the weakest song of the night, and I actually quite like it on the album.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

metanoia wrote:I just think he didn't sing it very well, he really seemed to be struggling with his voice a bit through the whole song. It was certainly the weakest song of the night, and I actually quite like it on the album.
I thought it was the only song he really struggled with vocally. Not badly or anything, he just really strained a few times, but it's got some high notes for a 69 year old to be fair.
moodyblue
Hammer
Hammer

Post by moodyblue »

A review of last night's show huh? I'll have a quick go then

I did a review of the Brighton show a few weeks ago where I think I sounded less than impressed. Not really the case but for me that show I felt like an observer. Last night's show I felt like a fan.

I have never been dissapointed with the sound at the Royal Albert hall and once again from where I was, it was beautiful and so much so, I made a point of saying to the soundman as we were leaving for what the hell it was worth!
The keyboards for me were very noticeable during the quiet parts sat on the arena floor.
The sound is so much more 'live' for me but never mushed.

The show's setlist was the same although it omitted 'Coming Back To Life'.

I often wonder what Gilmour's feeling is about live work at times seeing as he does very little nowadays. Towards the end of the show, one particular guy stood up and danced his way down the asle back and forth. He looked rather funny and was ushered back by the stage guys. A few others then joined in and before we knew it, everyone stood up. My other half at this point wanted to go as close to the stage as she could so we did. Amazingly I ended up in one corner, no one in front of me with a clear view of the stage, 10 feet or so from Gilmour right next to the speaker. Pure heaven!
At times I just shut my eyes and listened to the mix picking out his playing. He sounded totally on it and I cannot describe how amazing those last three songs were to witness and hear. Something you cannot ever forget.
His stage demeanour was of a man really into what he was doing, totally enjoying it. The usual cheek sucking as he played the guitar solo's.
They all looked very much into it. Lots of smiles. Guy Pratt using his Bass as an axe on occasion as he glanced towards the drummer.
I don't mind saying that at certain times, I was almost brought to tears with emotion. High Hopes was just serene to hear, Shine on as it gradually gains in volume instantly took me up into the clouds where I floated for a while. Just wish people would be so quiet during that opening part in a way!
The new stuff has really grown on me. The opening '5am' is just perfect as it floats into the commercial 'Rattle That Lock' track.
'Today' is a real riffy kind of song that works well live but oh, why does he keep 'Girl With The Yellow Dress' sitting in a really awkward place in the setlist. For me this should sit midway through the first set.
The most amusing part of the show had to be David Crosby's attempt at Roger's vocal during Comfortably numb. At least he had a go!
Apparently the band rehearsed 5 days a week for a month prior to this tour and you can hear the results. The occasional duff note from Gilmour (But then even he isn't perfect) but a band playing very tight, enjoying every second of the performance.

I cannot wait for the second show tonight but it is with a tinge of sadness.
I think some people measure their lives with the music they hear along the way. I find myself as I get older more emotional according to the songs I hear when I hear them live. That soundtrack seems to beat louder nowadays as you often wonder if you'll ever hear these songs played in their live format by their creator again.
Gilmour is an unbelievable 70 next year and he does seem to look his age but thankfully that fire to play is and always will be there. I just hope this isn't the last time that magic will be heard especially by me.

Kiwi68
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Kiwi68 »

Just back from 24/9 show. Exactly same setlist as last night sans Crosby and Nash. Also sans Mason - shame.
Follix
Knife
Knife

Post by Follix »

Kiwi68 wrote:Just back from 24/9 show. Exactly same setlist as last night sans Crosby and Nash. Also sans Mason - shame.
Does he play the same version of every solos?
Kiwi68
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Kiwi68 »

I'm sure this will upset some, but I think so.

One guy did yell out "Who makes your tea?" and DG replied "A guy called Steve." I think he added something like "Let's hear it for Steve", before telling us to "Settle down now".

I know that there is so much involved in these shows that spontaneity is hard, but it would be great to hear something unexpected.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

We've seen the mixing desk and we know he's set up to do other so it's a question of when rather than if.

He also said because he's doing several at the Albert hall they'd probably mix it up so I expect something new tomorrow
MrAnderson
Embryo
Embryo

Post by MrAnderson »

Rightio, I know exactly what to expect for tomorrow then! He'll probably do something different in the October shows I expect.
Kiwi68
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Kiwi68 »

I'm going to tomorrow night as well, so hopefully you're right. Still some amazing performances. Astronomy Domine was my highlight.
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

FUCK, You fuckers from RAH have/had LASERS!!!

AAA! :D

Same case as in 2006. There were no lasers in Milan... after that, it was all blazing with FREAKIN LASERS!

AAA! :D

Anyway, I would have loved to see lasers in Pula.