RAH Gigs 23-25th September 2015

All discussion related specifically to David Gilmour.
learningtofly
Axe
Axe

Re: RAH Gigs 23-25th September 2015

Post by learningtofly »

FreeFour
Knife
Knife

Post by FreeFour »

Isntthiswherewe
Blade
Blade

Post by Isntthiswherewe »

Seems I made a huge mistake here, not buying any tickets for this tour!
In my minds eye I had imagined him perhaps doing comfortably numb as an encore just to plicate the fans and the rest of the show all Gilmour solo songs.
Didn't imagine half the show would be Pink Floyd. This from a man who states that "he's done with Floyd"
You need to step back and listen to how ridiculous that sounds David.
Oh Well
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

Isntthiswherewe wrote:Seems I made a huge mistake here, not buying any tickets for this tour!
In my minds eye I had imagined him perhaps doing comfortably numb as an encore just to plicate the fans and the rest of the show all Gilmour solo songs.
Didn't imagine half the show would be Pink Floyd. This from a man who states that "he's done with Floyd"
Oh Well
He's not touring with Pink Floyd though, he's not releasing a Pink Floyd album, he's not touring the world playing in large football stadiums.

When he said he's finished with Floyd I think he meant writing Floyd material and performing with them.
Isntthiswherewe
Blade
Blade

kjek1 wrote:
Isntthiswherewe wrote:Seems I made a huge mistake here, not buying any tickets for this tour!
Oh Well
He's not touring with Pink Floyd though, he's not releasing a Pink Floyd album, he's not touring the world playing in large football stadiums.

When he said he's finished with Floyd I think he meant writing Floyd material and performing with them.

With "them"???
Imagine he announced a farewell PF tour, What would it be? Nick Mason and another 5 Pink Floyd songs with the Gilmour songs absent. Could still be the same venues as now, same round screen. In my opinion its five songs and a Mason away from a Pink Floyd show. Which is great. But better to announce its a solo tour with a large sprinkling of Floyd than what he has said.
I understand what your saying Kjek1 and I know what he meant. Just think he should have said something different. That's all.
NavyNut
Embryo
Embryo

Post by NavyNut »

Oh Well
Roger Water and David Gilmour has always toured playing pinkfloyd songs as well as there solo albums. I don't see your point, you should have known he was going to play some pinkfloyd songs during his solo tour.
Follix
Knife
Knife

Post by Follix »

Oh Well

I don't get your point, people want to hear some Floyd... There would be riots if all he was doing was solo stuff.

Nick Mason wouldn't change anything imo, he is totally replaceable anyway... Rick (music) and Roger (voice) are not. Anyway nowadays a Gilmour show is the closest you can get from Pink Floyd, whether people like it or not... A Roger Waters show is really like a cover band featuring Roger on (mostly pre-recorded) vocals. In terms of music, even the Australian Pink Floyd Show is closer to the real thing than Roger.
Isntthiswherewe
Blade
Blade

Follix wrote:
Oh Well

I don't get your point, people want to hear some Floyd... There would be riots if all he was doing was solo stuff.

Nick Mason wouldn't change anything imo, he is totally replaceable anyway... Rick (music) and Roger (voice) are not. Anyway nowadays a Gilmour show is the closest you can get from Pink Floyd, whether people like it or not... A Roger Waters show is really like a cover band featuring Roger on (mostly pre-recorded) vocals. In terms of music, even the Australian Pink Floyd Show is closer to the real thing than Roger.
Its okay to disagree with what I'm saying but that's two of you now who don't get my point!
You are correct Follix, Mason would make little difference. Probably he would be on stage with the existing drummer anyway. Gilmour is playing 12 Floyd songs against 9 of his own. That's more than "some". Standing in front of the round screen playing money with the same old graphics from the 70's. Meanwhile he is running round saying "he's done with Floyd". Clearly you are not Mr. Gilmour until you play the last night of the tour. So to all those in the US. This IS the farewell Floyd tour in all but name IMHO. That is the point I'm trying to make.
learningtofly
Axe
Axe

Post by learningtofly »

I wasn’t aware RW doesn’t actually sing live.......Is that the case?

re this tour, It’s PF in a sense but without all the razzmatazz and promotion that would come with the tour being billed as such
Follix
Knife
Knife

Post by Follix »

It's been said that Roger was using playback to enhance singing performance... Anyway I saw his live show in 2012 and he sounded much better than during the Live 8, so how could his voice possibly get better at 70 year old?

Otherwise I don't see how David Gilmour solo can be Pink Floyd, it's probably the closest you can get but it's not Pink Floyd just like Paul McCartney is not the Beatles, Roger Hodgson is not Supertramp and John Fogerty is not CCR. However I could label the 2006 tour with Rick Wright as Pink Floyd... I mean musically everything irreplaceable was there.
Last edited by Follix on Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Post by mastaflatch »

I don't know but nothing seems wrong in the way Gilmour stated that "he's done with Pink Floyd" and how he performs many PF songs on this solo tour.
Pink Floyd is an immense concert draw on its name alone - it would be impossible to make such a short tour in this kind of venues under that name, even if robots were replacing all band members, even if Mr. Screen wasn't there, even if no Comfortably Numb was played.
Gilmour is logically and tastefully scaling things down in order to be a musician in the best possible conditions - nothing unexpected in the fact that he plays Pink Floyd songs next to his own and since seeing him suddenly jumping around onstage wearing glitters and fur is indeed unlikely, he's using his trademark light show and gimmicks to accompany his music.
Again, absolutely nothing about this show is coming out of the blue and I fail to see what else people could have been expecting.
Follix
Knife
Knife

Post by Follix »

mastaflatch wrote: Again, absolutely nothing about this show is coming out of the blue and I fail to see what else people could have been expecting.
Some hipsters on Youtube were expecting him to play his whole first album and some obscure Floyd Song. I mean could have been great for hardcore fans who saw him and Pink Floyd twenty times but for most of us it would have been rather sad.
BertWW96
Blade
Blade

Post by BertWW96 »

This hardly seems to require explanation, but I'll say it anyway: there's more to being PF than simply playing PF songs.

But to carry it further:
If all Gilmour solo albums had appeared under the band name "The Whippersnappers" (with Pratt, Carin, Manzanera all as official members, and yes I know they weren't on the first two, that's not the point!) and they then did a Whippersnappers-branded tour that happened to feature loads of PF, yes, that wouldn't make sense.

But this didn't happen. "David Gilmour" isn't merely an artist name gracing a tour and a few solo albums; it's the name of an individual human being whose past includes another band (PF), and when this individual human being tours, he plays things he created, whether alone or in part, and this includes PF (and yes, I know DG had nothing to do with Astronomy Domine, which must have been included as a tribute/novelty, and/or he just likes it, and does Barrett's family receive royalties when he plays it? I wonder if that could be a factor. I digress).

As for the breakdown of the set list (and I count Time/Breathe Reprise as one song), it's 11 PF songs and 9 DG songs, but two of the PF songs were from the post-Waters Gilmour-centric period, and no one should expect that, for any reason in any universe, he wouldn't play this material (I'm only surprised he isn't playing more of it). To my mind, this makes it 11 Gilmour songs and 9 "back catalogue" songs (High Hopes' presence on the set list, for example, can't be the same head-scratcher that Money is).

Hey, I'd have loved to see more solo content too (MURDER, I say again!), but anyone who knows enough about his activity to have heard the first two solo albums should be well aware that he just doesn't do that. And I prefer half of the AMLOR/TDB stuff to chestnuts like WYWH, Money, Us And Them, SOYCD, but I don't expect many to feel the same.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

What Felix said re waters shows. I've seen him 3 times and it was great wen he did animals and the other wish you were songs. But it was a cover band. Semi official cover band. Nothing compared to how I felt when I overheard Gilmour do the Orange sound check (in any tongue, coming back to life, today)

I have to chip in and say I agree. This is more Floyd than we expected. Or I expected. I kick myself because last time I said its notfloyd (plus I couldn't attend period) even though the musical differences for the Floyd songs were even more academic (because Rick was there). Now it's basically as good as it gets for a Floyd show as agreed the value of having mason be there would be emotional and not musical. I wish I had been at live 8 and I wish I had seen Gilmour live with Rick. So I'm making up for it seeing him 6 times now (anyone need any copies of the album btw?)
But I think objectively having mr screen and the old Floyd films playing is a bit crossing the line (for good!). The setlists is pink Floyd heavy in the sense that he is simply not laying his whole new album like he did before. And undusted the likes of sorrow and astronomy. Agreed. Ps plus the lasers were a treat but totally floydian. I had joked why not add lasers but where do you draw the line? Screen lights lasers then a pig!!
UsNotThem
Blade
Blade

Post by UsNotThem »

I have to say one of my biggest highlights of Friday night's show for me was In Any Tongue, the backing singers singing the chorus added such an extra dimmension to the song (Bryan, I think the guy's name is, did an absolutel blinding job on the song).

I don't usually cry at concerts (I'm a very reserved, emotionless English-man), but along with Comfortably Numb and the opening notes of 5am, it actually made me tear up.

Now, I'm quite depressed that I'll probably never see the David live again. It's not a nice thought.