Even Newer David Gilmour Album

All discussion related specifically to David Gilmour.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Even Newer David Gilmour Album

Post by Annoying Twit »

Didn't Dave say something about finally having learned how to make his own albums? And that he was looking forward to getting straight onto the next one?

Whenever I hear statement like that, I always expect things to take longer than suggested at the time as things happen. But, Brian Eno and Karl Hyde did it.

Any sign of real action on a post-RtL DG LP?
BertWW96
Blade
Blade

Re: Even Newer David Gilmour Album

Post by BertWW96 »

He said something in relatively recent interviews about having more material ready to go; I'm not sure how ready and when he'll go, though...
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

Plus his wife said in an interview a couple of weeks ago she'd have more lyrics to write before she'll do her next novel.

He'll be doing another, personally I'm surprised, David seemed like he was happy to sit quietly and go at a snail's pace but he seems to have caught the bug again.
BertWW96
Blade
Blade

Post by BertWW96 »

I know the audience is a bit split on Polly being his lyricist, but it seems a good thing logistically for those of us who want more DG product. His work cycle requires him to feel the inspiration, find the time to act on it, and involve others in that process. Imagine if he needed to go to an outside (outside the house) person to help write material - it would add another layer requiring time. Sure, in this day and age you can e-mail anything (audio as well as words), but I get the vibe that DG is old-school and wouldn't move quite as fast if writing with someone more remote. I could be wrong. Either way, I'd love another album.

And also, what about that alternative mix/version of OAI? Any word on that?
UsNotThem
Blade
Blade

Post by UsNotThem »

I don't think Polly has ever produced any god awful lyris. Okay "we bitch and we fight/diss each other on sight" is slightly terrible, but other than that I think she's a great lyricist.

On RTL, her lyrics again are impeccable, In Any Tongue being a prime example.

:)
Follix
Knife
Knife

Post by Follix »

Thing is people compare her to Roger Waters, very few people are gonna win at this game (if any)

Also because David Gilmour was in Pink Floyd lryics got be great... 99.9% of the artists in the world don't have these kind of expectations. In other words nobody care about Justin Bieber, Taylor Swift or Fallout Boy lyrics but when it comes to Gilmour it has to be perfect with philosophical metaphors and stuff.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

UsNotThem wrote:I don't think Polly has ever produced any god awful lyris. Okay "we bitch and we fight/diss each other on sight" is slightly terrible, but other than that I think she's a great lyricist.

On RTL, her lyrics again are impeccable, In Any Tongue being a prime example.

:)
She's a decent lyricist, though if "we bitch and we fight/diss each other on sight" isn't God awful than nothing is. The thing about her writing for Pink Floyd is more about nepotism in general than the actual quality of lyrics. Most of her lyrics are good, but it really should have been David writing for Pink Floyd, especially when we know he could.

I completely agree on RTL though.
Follix wrote:Thing is people compare her to Roger Waters
And that would be people who forget that Roger Waters also had quite a few duds in his time too. Along the line of "Magic Billy in his wheelchair is picking up all the stuff in the air". :D
learningtofly
Axe
Axe

Post by learningtofly »

OAI re mix would be good, the some of the guitar breaks sound a bit flat having been used to the live versions, The Blue in particular.

Prior to Polly, DG got into a right state by all accounts trying to put together AMLOR, to the extent the record company rejected his initial submissions as reputedly ‘not good enough’.....’not sounding anything like PF’.

In the recent Uncut interview he said he had ‘the best part of another album stewing away’.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Pfff... take 30-odd years to learn to make his own albums?

Leftover material: I've learned that having it does not automatically mean it's gonna be released any time soon :( At the very least, ask U2 about Songs Of Innosence.
Follix
Knife
Knife

Post by Follix »

David Gilmour wrote: I feel I’m creating some of the best songs of my career. I’ve got about 35 which are in various stages of development and the important thing is I thoroughly enjoy working on my music. I think you’ll be hearing a good few more albums from me in the future.
35 songs is 3 or 4 albums :lol:
Bigmanpigman
Knife
Knife

Post by Bigmanpigman »

BertWW96
Blade
Blade

Post by BertWW96 »

Bigmanpigman wrote:Image