Will Mr. Screen fit at the Hollywood Bowl?

All discussion related specifically to David Gilmour.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Will Mr. Screen fit at the Hollywood Bowl?

Post by kjek1 »

You can tell they haven't played since December. He lost his way during 5am, and I someone in his band (I'm still not sure who) lost their way a couple of times during Money.

All in all it sounded great though, as mentioned his vocals were sounding very strong.
Last edited by kjek1 on Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
everton1690
Knife
Knife

Post by everton1690 »

loved the way the coins during money were being projected on the bowl itself [-D-]
Follix
Knife
Knife

Post by Follix »

Watched the whole show on Periscope with help from various users.. Was very worried after 5am it sounded like crap, really sounded like me (an average guitarist) trying to find notes to a song by ear could have been a kazoo. But the rest of the show was amazing (Even tho same setlist, Coming Back to Life included)

- Vocal: A bit rough during RTL and Coming back to life but the rest was pretty much flawless given his age
- Guitar: Except 5am it was very good... In fact the Comfortably Numb he did is the best I've heard on this tour, didn't hear any bum notes or anything, he totally nailed it. If you are skeptic about his guitar playing watch it! Phil did some mistakes during WYWH intro tho... Maybe he doesn't practice 12 strings enough!

Also David Crosby gave us some vocals on 3 or 4 songs, doing Roger's part during Comfortably Numb.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

I wonder if it's initial nerves? I only say this because he's made a dogs dinner of 5am a few times on this tour (including Brighton), and it's not a hard one to play at all.

His vocals are honestly fantastic for a 70 year old, very impressed. I agree Comfortably Numb was blistering.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

He played "what do you want from me?" tonight

First major set list change for a long time
Follix
Knife
Knife

Post by Follix »

kjek1 wrote:I wonder if it's initial nerves?
I don't know it would surprise me... It's not the first time in his life he plays in front of big crowds. The sound generally sucks on the first song, that's true for any concert and I don't know but it seems to be very dark during that performance, probably doesn't help to find the right frets...
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

Follix wrote:
kjek1 wrote:I wonder if it's initial nerves?
I don't know it would surprise me... It's not the first time in his life he plays in front of big crowds. The sound generally sucks on the first song, that's true for any concert and I don't know but it seems to be very dark during that performance, probably doesn't help to find the right frets...
I wondered if it was the lack of light too. I've got a recording of 5am from Brighton on my phone and when he's trying to recover he misses some notes and it genuinely feels like he can't find where he is on the neck. It's a lot harder than it looks at time and if you take your chances without getting your bearings you run the risk of a really embarrassing bum note.

You can get away with bum notes in a song like comfortably numb with all that's going on, a bum note on a slow track like 5am with a clean tone is very conspicuous by comparison
Follix
Knife
Knife

Post by Follix »

Yeah yesterday during the Time solo he did 3 or 4 bums notes...

At the same being an average guitarist it's great to realize that even best in the worlds make mistakes.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

Follix wrote:Yeah yesterday during the Time solo he did 3 or 4 bums notes...

At the same being an average guitarist it's great to realize that even best in the worlds make mistakes.
Indeed. Credit to Gilmour be improvises constantly, not an easy thing to do so he puts himself at much higher risk of bum notes. But I love it, far more interesting than just repeating the studio versions night after night
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

Just got back from the LA gigs. Such a good trip. The barn sounds really good in general compared to the first few European dates. Additional projections on the Hollywood bowl plus fireworks were priceless. I never though I'd hear what do you want from me, twice, so I can tick that off my never ever list. I was daydreaming he would attempt marooned and I'd have to pee in my beer cup.