Echoes of other bands on RTL

All discussion related specifically to David Gilmour.
Sentience
Embryo
Embryo

Echoes of other bands on RTL

Post by Sentience »

After listening to the album these immediately came to mind:

"Faces of Stone" borrows some guitar from John Lennon's "Working Class Hero".

"Today" has a bass line that is very similar to the work of the Red Hot Chili Peppers, and the tune is complimented with lyrics that also reference that band -- "Today, always" is a take on their easy-going but fatalistic nature. Of course there are more lyrical references in this song too.
Follix
Knife
Knife

Re: Echoes of other bands on RTL

Post by Follix »

If anything I find that he mainly copy himself, especially during the solos...

I mean ''Today'' solo with some editing could be ''Have a Cigar''
The opening and closing track sounds a hell lot like ''Cluster One'' or ''Marooned''
''Beauty'' got a ''Shine On'' feel.

To me the only song that is totally original is ''In Any Tongue'' even tho arrangements does sounds like ''Comfortably Numb'' But still I really enjoy that album and you are right about ''Faces of Stones'' it's pretty much the same chords/notes than ''Working Class Heroes'' on another key tho. But you know it goes both way I was listening to ''#9 Dream'' by Lennon and he borrowed something from King Crimson/Pink Floyd sound.

Also if you want real cheaters, watch One Direction, I doubt they got a single song that is not a complete ripoff it's a joke.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

These are very mild similarities and overall the tunes don't sound anything like the songs mentioned. I could sit here all day and find similarities between songs from completely different generations and even genre's.

Also forget One Direction they're not even a real band, if you want proper rip off merchants go and listen to The 1975 who have effectively become a successful band by stealing off INXS
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Sentience wrote:"Faces of Stone" borrows some guitar from John Lennon's "Working Class Hero".
As we elaborated before, Gilmour lifted the phrase from Lennon, Lennon lifted it from Dylan, Dylan lifted it from Guthrie and Guthrie lifted it from fuck knows where. It's one of the oldest tricks in the book and it's been used by numerous musicians throughout the years, including Roger Waters among others.
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Post by mastaflatch »

Well, the Working Class Hero guitar riff had already been used by Gilmour on Near the End and Waters used it on a whole album on Pros and Cons. It's just an effective little way of playing a chord, not something that can be "stolen". If a songwriter can live with its fans always saying that it sounds like another song, there's no reason to not use it. A way to strum a chord isn't copyrightable.
Sentience
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Sentience »

I didn't intend to imply that there was a problem with the lift; on the contrary I am quite pleased that DG has made his tribute to that particular Lennon song.