Phil Manzanera

All discussion related specifically to David Gilmour.
grelch
Knife
Knife

Phil Manzanera

Post by grelch »

Have Phil and David fallen out, or is Phil just taking a break? The , "...and I will no longer be a part of it." part of his statement makes me wonder. We know what happens when David gets annoyed at you. It's Siberia for you.

https://www.facebook.com/philmanzanera/ ... =3&theater
FreeFour
Knife
Knife

Re: Phil Manzanera

Post by FreeFour »

That does seem quite a succinct and to the point statement.

Be nice if Tim Renwick took his place.
brell
Blade
Blade

Post by brell »

Couldn't it just be that he has other things to do?
FreeFour
Knife
Knife

Post by FreeFour »

Rumours that Jon Carin is leaving band as well ?
Follix
Knife
Knife

Post by Follix »

He screwed up WYWH intro too many times?
UsNotThem
Blade
Blade

Post by UsNotThem »

Follix wrote:He screwed up WYWH intro too many times?
Thank god somebody else has said it. I thought I was the only one who noticed it!

Obviously Phil wants a change and to do some other stuff, that's why he's left. Jon's probably left to work with Roger for his upcoming shows and maybe on his album. And maybe Kevin has left because Jon has left, seeing as though he's the one who suggested him to David.

Quite a shock shake-up though, seeing as though Phil and Jon have been playing David for 30+ years on and off.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

Manzanera is working on projects of his own.

Not sure about Carin and McAlea but I'd imagine it'll be similar commitments. Their replacements are quality though I'm sad to see Manzanera and Carin go
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

Shame about carin and mcale. They did a super job, and I'm almost sure that Carin had some of the same sounds as Wright on his kurzweils (analogue vs digital Pandora box left closed). Manzanera, well, he was almost wasted being famous and doing what he was doing. Almost like hey for curiosity this is Phil from roxy music too! So good for him to do his own stuff for a while.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

Looks like Roger has announced dates in Mexico during the same time in September. I wonder if he poached Carin and that's why he's not with Gilmour.

Ps I love how it's advertised as "playing songs from PF's best albums", and shows animals the wall dsotm and wywh. Let the arguing begin... At least he didn't include the final cut lol
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

Rogers doing greatest hits concerts? Surely not, I read on here he was the innovative one with the brains and all the ideas to keep things fresh
Bigmanpigman
Knife
Knife

Post by Bigmanpigman »

I was intrigued when I saw Roger included in such a stellar line-up, and it occurred to me that he wouldn't get away with anything that was in any way considered obscure by the audience. ie it won't be a 'Floyd' type audience and they will expect to hear tracks that they are familiar with.
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

raisemyrent wrote:Looks like Roger has announced dates in Mexico during the same time in September. I wonder if he poached Carin and that's why he's not with Gilmour.

Ps I love how it's advertised as "playing songs from PF's best albums", and shows animals the wall dsotm and wywh. Let the arguing begin... At least he didn't include the final cut lol
Indeed, interesting -

TicketMaster Mexico wrote:Roger Waters, co - founder and principal songwriter of legendary rock band Pink Floyd progressive, today Announced His return to Mexico City, 4 years after if last visit to the . Country Waters will be presented on September 28 at the Foro Sol, a few days His stellar performance before at the Festival Desert Trip in Indio, California.
Tickets for esta unforgettable concert will be available at Preventa Banamex on 7 and 8 June and Sale General Begins on June 9 through Ticketmaster System http://www.ticketmaster.com.mx and 53- 25-9000 and in the office of the property.
After completing "the Wall" his latest tour That Lasted more massive than three years, During Which I offered Preferred 219 shows sold out arenas and stadiums around the world, Including of course the Palace of Sports Where I Appeared before more than 40 thousand people and the Foro Sol Where have played for more than 80 thousand people Localities, Waters returns to the road again.
in 2011 and 2012 Roger Waters managed to have Such a deep connection with Their Mexican fans, Those concerts are still Considered by the public as one of the best live shows of all time, and will be always Remembered and archived in the chronicles of live entertainment in Mexico.
Now the mind behind iconic songs like "Money", "in the Flesh? " and "Another Brick in the wall" among many others, will be presented at the Foro Sol September 28, 2016. Get your tickets at the Exclusive Presale for Banamex Cardholders on 7 and 8 June or the General Exits starting on June 9 through Ticketmaster System and http://www.ticketmaster.com.mx. phone or at the box office 53-25-9000 property for more information please visit: http://www.rogerwaters.com Local for information go to: http://www.ocesa.com.mx
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

Jon will be the biggest loss. His sound are perfect, and having seen him perform with Roger, Jon is the only guy I've ever heard Nail Dave's slide guitar sound for breathe, if I closed my eyes I could believe it was Dave playing
Follix
Knife
Knife

Post by Follix »

raisemyrent wrote:Ps I love how it's advertised as "playing songs from PF's best albums", and shows animals the wall dsotm and wywh. Let the arguing begin... At least he didn't include the final cut lol
I don't think there is any arguing here tho, this is the 4 best PF albums.

However, his musical role is quite limited in WYWH and especially Animals. His vocal role is extremely limited in DSOTM. At this point Aussie or Brit Floyd might be a better option. With Gilmour you get that real razer blade guitar sound that cut through the mix in an inexplicable way and his voice still hold up at 80% but with Waters you get nothing more than a cover band featuring Roger Waters, sorry but that's the truth.

I know Roger's fans won't agree but by now it's just the truth, David performances are going downhill as well and Paul McCartney's voice is completely gone. It's just life they are old now.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

I'd
Personally get rid of animals and swap For TER or TDB. But he wouldn't play that.
Agreed. Waters is a cover band. A curiosity act almost (hey! There's the guy who wrote the lyrics walking around with an acoustic guitar or playing cards mid stage!) I got more chills from the first note from 5AM (truthfully, the sound check we overheard earlier that evening) at my first Gilmour gig than from the entire shows I've seen Waters play (~5).