Phil Manzanera

All discussion related specifically to David Gilmour.
Follix
Knife
Knife

Re: Phil Manzanera

Post by Follix »

No I prefer Animals to any Gilmour-led Floyd album...

Even David is going downhill much more mistakes than before and voice weaken a bit but Roger is mostly backtrack vocals and average bass playing. I get the emotional link with the audience but technically it's nothing amazing.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

I got a huge thrill out of seeing Roger do the wall with that big production but I'd much rather attend a Gilmour gig doing Floyds best of than a Roger gig doing Floyds best of

Dave's got the voice and guitar. Rogers got his stage presence, but there's a lot of playback now and noones going to a concert saying "wow I can't wait to hear the bass guitar for Breathe live!!".David just has a hell of a lot more to offer as a live performer.
Follix
Knife
Knife

Post by Follix »

Well his stage presence... OK it's better than David's one (even tho I like to see his face those notes) but it's not amazing either, we are light-years away from Freddy Mercury, Peter Gabriel or Jim Morrison.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

I don't know about that, he's a very different kind of performer from someone like Mercury but Roger definitely has a big presence.

It doesn't mean too much to me though because I go for the live music experience, so for that reason alone it's Dave every time.

5am isn't even a Floyd song and the first string bend gave me goosebumps, I just wouldn't get that from Roger.
Follix
Knife
Knife

Post by Follix »

My point is that light shows and lasers started when they realized they had no front man. Again I will agree that Roger's presence is better than David's at least he is walking around the stage and knocking The Wall but it's nothing special either.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

Sure. But ultimately, it's not a circus. They do have a crazy light show etc, and through the years, but one of the comments we had after our second stint of Gilmour shows was that they're complementary with the right backbone, an amazing musical performance. With Roger, the entire wall show disk make up for how uninteresting it was to see a cover band and a guy lip sync, sorry, double track, live poker game notwithstanding.
Jezebelly
Axe
Axe

Post by Jezebelly »

Follix wrote:He screwed up WYWH intro too many times?

haha, for real.
Jezebelly
Axe
Axe

Post by Jezebelly »

kjek1 wrote:Rogers doing greatest hits concerts? Surely not, I read on here he was the innovative one with the brains and all the ideas to keep things fresh
Maybe Roger has a big cash deficit to make up after his latest wife divorced him.
Jezebelly
Axe
Axe

Post by Jezebelly »

Follix wrote:My point is that light shows and lasers started when they realized they had no front man. Again I will agree that Roger's presence is better than David's at least he is walking around the stage and knocking The Wall but it's nothing special either.
uh, NO.
Bigmanpigman
Knife
Knife

Post by Bigmanpigman »

I've been amazed to see the words 'Roger' and 'Stage Presence' uttered in the same sentence. They were all very much anonymous through the '70s and then Roger began to take his grip. I saw 'The Wall' gig at Earls Court in 1980 when the rest of the band were banished behind the wall and I can tell you Roger has zero 'Stage Presence'. In fact I would say he's just about the worst front man in the history of rock, but fair play to him for his confidence [-D-]
Just1more
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Just1more »

But Floyd has never been a live band with "presence" versus a band as a backup to imagery. Gabriel, Bowie, & Mercury are the faces, characters & symbology in and of themselves...they were the recognizable personas. There's not a gabriel album that doesn't feature gabriel on the cover....there's not a Floyd album that features Floyd on the cover. We may recognize Gabriel's album covers but covers such as Dark Side, The Wall, etc carry much more presence. We would recognize bowie as ziggy stardust...but would we also not recognize Pink (played not by a band member but Bob Geldorf)? So perhaps it's not individual "presence" versus overall presence and presentaion...And I think when we translate this into a live performance this is where Gilmour beats out Waters. Gilmour seems to accept being part of the whole
..while Water's tries to be a front man and blocks out the presence as an entity. Think of it as a movie...the music and its composers play an important part...it's just that the visual is not particularly associated with them
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

I guess you guys never saw Rogers recent Wall shows where he had audiences eating out the palm of his hand, he certainly has a presence even if it wasn't there during the 70's.

When it comes to musical live performance Dave absolutely smokes him, he smoke most though, even at 70
Bigmanpigman
Knife
Knife

Post by Bigmanpigman »

kjek1 wrote:I guess you guys never saw Rogers recent Wall shows where he had audiences eating out the palm of his hand, he certainly has a presence even if it wasn't there during the 70's.

When it comes to musical live performance Dave absolutely smokes him, he smoke most though, even at 70
You are correct kjek1. I have never felt motivated to see any of Roger's solo performances, and maybe that's because of what I saw in 1980, whereas I have seen David on a number of occasions, both within Floyd and solo. I am aware of the fact that Roger has recently completed the most financially successful world tour of any individual performer, which would seem to put me at odds with everyone else. But I am also aware that one of the many skills he possesses is how to put a show on, and use all of the technology available to do it. I'm still not convinced that he has evolved into a 'great' front man from the deluded individual I saw 36 years ago. I'll say it again. For all Roger's prancing about and ranting in front of the wall, the highlight for the vast majority of the people who went to those gigs was Dave's guitar solos on top of the wall.
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

Bigmanpigman wrote:... the highlight for the vast majority of the people who went to those gigs was Dave's guitar solos on top of the wall.
David "on the wall" was one night only in a multi-multi date world tour (219 dates ?). I was there on Thursday 12 May 2011 and I agree it was special but that was one night only.
jtull
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by jtull »

twcc wrote:David "on the wall" was one night only in a multi-multi date world tour. I was there on Thursday 12 May 2011 and I agree it was special but that was one night only.
I believe Bigmanpigman was thinking about Pink Floyd The Wall concerts 1980 -1981.